Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This isn't a direct acne question, but perhaps my symptoms are somehow connected to my acne. When I am up and about doing something like working outside or even just sitting at the computer I feel perfectly fine, but as soon as I sit down in a chair or lie down on my bed or couch for a second I start to get very drowsy and usually end up falling asleep. I can't even sit down and read a book without falling asleep after two or three pages. You guys all seem pretty knowledgeable here. Does anyone know whats going on with my body?

Sometimes that happens to me if I'm not getting enough sleep. But I know that thyroid or adrenal problems, diabetes, sleep deprivation and sleep disorders, and probably lots of other things can cause what you're describing. A sleeping problem can definitely be related to your acne if it's one of those things.

You should go see the doctor they're very sympathetic and everything, they'll do a blood test and likely tell you what's wrong. if your scared of needles then god help you its 40ft wide and they shove it in your eye! ;)

If you are tired during the day, it means you aren't getting enough quality sleep at night. This could be caused by:

- Sleep apnea. Do you snore? If you do, look up sleep apnea online and talk to your doctor about it.

- Light in your sleeping environment. Try to block out all light wherever you sleep. Make your sleeping environment pitch black by blocking out your windows with cardboard or blackout blinds and don't use night lights or leave doors open or anything.

- Not enough sleep. You'll have to get on a better sleep schedule of going to bed earlier or waking up later.

- Waking up in the middle of the night for any reason. If this is happening, try to figure out why you are waking up and eliminate the cause.

I was anemic once due to iron deficiency. Yep, tired all the time. Go get some bloodwork.

Could be other things. Like, are you grossly obese...? :think:

lol

superman87, i have the exact same problem! even after i get a full 8 or 9 hours of sleep i get sleepy. what ive been doing--which i know caffeine is probbaly bad for me--is drinking 3-4 cups of coffee spaced equally all day. anything less and i will be drowsy. more like periods of tiredness thoughout the day.

im going to make an appt with an endo asap. cant live like this forever (also im starting grad school in 1month and cant afford to be sleeping all day).

you should get tested too. anyone know how much those thyroid tests costs???

I was anemic once due to iron deficiency. Yep, tired all the time. Go get some bloodwork.

lol

Legend, when you were anemic, did you have any breathing problems?

lol

Legend, when you were anemic, did you have any breathing problems?

Not that I recall. But after working out with cardio my vision would blur like blood sugar/blood pressure was changing, and my hearing would sort of pulse on and off. It would last a couple of minutes, and that's what prompted me to look into it.

I think it may have been the ridiculous amounts of prescription drugs I was taking. Allegra D, Flonase, Astelin spray, allergy shots, erythromycin, ritalin, and some more. Combine that with the lacking food at my first year at a university. I ate red meats, spinach and cereal, but I guess something from the drugs was inhibiting absorption. That was 4 years ago. I'm much healthier now.

I was actually going to make a thread today about me feeling tired. Lately, even after getting PLENTY and plenty of sleep (8-10 hours)... I have been feeling extremely tired throughout the day.. and have been developing dark circles. thoughts? :think:

I was actually going to make a thread today about me feeling tired. Lately, even after getting PLENTY and plenty of sleep (8-10 hours)... I have been feeling extremely tired throughout the day.. and have been developing dark circles. thoughts? :think:

This means your brain is not getting enough energy.

It is not related to your body energy levels.

I have been ridiculed before about discussing "brain energy requirements" but please understand me.

The food for your brain is different to the food for your body :)

See link below

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=108618

The brain is best fuelled by a steady supply of glucose, and many studies have shown that skipping breakfast reduces people's performance at school and at work.

But it isn't simply a matter of getting some calories down. According to research published in 2003, kids breakfasting on fizzy drinks and sugary snacks performed at the level of an average 70-year-old in tests of memory and attention.

A smart choice for lunch is omelette and salad. Eggs are rich in choline, which your body uses to produce the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Researchers at Boston University found that when healthy young adults were given the drug scopolamine, which blocks acetylcholine receptors in the brain, it significantly reduced their ability to remember word pairs. Low levels of acetylcholine are also associated with Alzheimer's disease, and some studies suggest that boosting dietary intake may slow age-related memory loss.

A salad packed full of antioxidants, including beta-carotene and vitamins C and E, should also help keep an ageing brain in tip-top condition by helping to mop up damaging free radicals. Dwight Tapp and colleagues from the University of California at Irvine found that a diet high in antioxidants improved the cognitive skills of 39 ageing beagles - proving that you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Round off lunch with a yogurt dessert, and you should be alert and ready to face the stresses of the afternoon. That's because yogurt contains the amino acid tyrosine, needed for the production of the neurotransmitters dopamine and noradrenalin, among others. Studies by the US military indicate that tyrosine becomes depleted when we are under stress and that supplementing your intake can improve alertness and memory.

Don't forget to snaffle a snack mid-afternoon, to maintain your glucose levels. Just make sure you avoid junk food, and especially highly processed goodies such as cakes, pastries and biscuits, which contain trans-fatty acids. These not only pile on the pounds, but are implicated in a slew of serious mental disorders, from dyslexia and ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) to autism. Hard evidence for this is still thin on the ground, but last year researchers at the annual Society for Neuroscience meeting in San Diego, California, reported that rats and mice raised on the rodent equivalent of junk food struggled to find their way around a maze, and took longer to remember solutions to problems they had already solved.

It seems that some of the damage may be mediated through triglyceride, a cholesterol-like substance found at high levels in rodents fed on trans-fats. When the researchers gave these rats a drug to bring triglyceride levels down again, the animals' performance on the memory tasks improved.

Brains are around 60 per cent fat, so if trans-fats clog up the system, what should you eat to keep it well oiled? Evidence is mounting in favour of omega-3 fatty acids, in particular docosahexaenoic acid or DHA. In other words, your granny was right: fish is the best brain food. Not only will it feed and lubricate a developing brain, DHA also seems to help stave off dementia. Studies published last year reveal that older mice from a strain genetically altered to develop Alzheimer's had 70 per cent less of the amyloid plaques associated with the disease when fed on a high-DHA diet.

Finally, you could do worse than finish off your evening meal with strawberries and blueberries. Rats fed on these fruits have shown improved coordination, concentration and short-term memory. And even if they don't work such wonders in people, they still taste fantastic. So what have you got to lose?

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/being-.../mg18625011.900

This means your brain is not getting enough energy.

It is not related to your body energy levels.

I have been ridiculed before about discussing "brain energy requirements" but please understand me.

The food for your brain is different to the food for your body :)

See link below

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=108618

Thank you very much!!

Mandy

Its probaby not a lack of energy to your brain, i think only melbourne suffers from that ;) Its more than likely one of the things allready mentioned on this thread:

Thyroid

Adrenal

Anemia

Apnea

It could also be sleeping at the wrong time, some people say that the timing of your sleep is just as important as how long you sleep for, the theory goes certain processes occur at specific times and if your not asleep then they cant happen or are at least impared, therfore you should go to sleep earlier (by 11pm) and wake up earlier...

Some people also say that actual sunlight is important, your brain apparently has a mechanism to dectect a specific spectrum of light that is not present in the light emitted from lights bulbs, if you dont see sunlight constanly through the day your body doesn't know that its daytime. As well as getting lots of full-spectrum light during the day you should also maintain complete darkness at night even if you wake up. Whether this theory is true or a con by joseph "del boy" mercola to sell you some knock-off light fittings is anyone's guess.

Neither of those things ever made me feel better but... horses for courses.

This isn't a direct acne question, but perhaps my symptoms are somehow connected to my acne. When I am up and about doing something like working outside or even just sitting at the computer I feel perfectly fine, but as soon as I sit down in a chair or lie down on my bed or couch for a second I start to get very drowsy and usually end up falling asleep. I can't even sit down and read a book without falling asleep after two or three pages. You guys all seem pretty knowledgeable here. Does anyone know whats going on with my body?

Superman:

I am anemic and hypothyroid, of course both are more common in women my age than in men at any age. However, if you can, go to a doctor and simple bloodwork will give you an answer. If you don't want to go that route then try taking a good multivitamin with iron. If you have an iron deficiency, after a couple of weeks you should feel better. B vitamins and iron are very good for you and we should all take them. Do you take any vitamins now?? I don't know what your sleep schedule is like but it is necessary for our bodies and brain to get good REM sleep. Your body is telling you that you are not getting enough rest, I hope you are able to relieve that. Good luck.

Ang

Mandy

Its probaby not a lack of energy to your brain, i think only melbourne suffers from that ;) Its more than likely one of the things allready mentioned on this thread:

Mandy is an intelligent young lady.

She needs to rest and feed her brain with good food.

Mandy is perfectly normal person.

She needs good brain nutrition, exercise and sleep like me :)