Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kiwi-rabbit

First Hospital Appointment. Will I be given TANE straight away?

HELLO. I'M A UK RESIDENT. and i have an appointment booked to see a Dermatologist at my local hospital on the NHS on Tue 5th September(first appointment iv had so far)(and my GP said they prob giv me TANE). I've been getting all trigger happy because I think I may possibly be a "normal person with a normal life" by Christmas or New Year. But then it suddenly struck me that I had no idea as to whether I'm going to be pescribed the Roaccutane straight away. Maybe I'll need to book another appointment? Maybe they'll delay it for a while, while they decide and ponder as to whether I need it or not, or just piss around as doctors, hospitals and generally the NHS does. So could you all tell me whether you got your TANE at your first Dermalogist appointment and/or how soon afterwards you were actually able to get your hands on the actual pills? (and it will be extra helpful if your going through the English NHS like me :) )

thank you, all posts will be much appreciated, elle

I don't know how it works in the UK, but here in the US, most dermatologists will not prescribe it straight off the bat. Usually you have to try topical retinoids, topical antibiotics and oral antibiotics and have them all not work before Accutane is considered. But there is that 1 in 100 doctor who will prescribe it right away. It also depends on the severity of your acne. Go in with cysts on 90% of your face and you'll get it easily.

i think they do tests and you gotta wait 3 months for results and wait another 3 months for them to do anotehr test on the lvier etc to make sure it will be ok with you

o sorry i should of mentioned. I have already tried every topical option and a oral antibiotic and I do have severe acne. i have several symptons. One of these is that i have very bad looking scarrying, it may already be permanent. I was referred by my GP(doctor) to the dermatologist because she gave the go ahead because my acne responds to nothing and she's already done a blood test for my liver functions which took a week to come back, i was "ok!" and so she sent the letter to the hospital to be referred. The hospital decide whether you're worth seeing and now i have an appointment booked. so im deffinately a candidate i just dunno how quickly im actualy gonna get it to take?

but thx for your posts so far :D

hmmm, with me they had a look at me, told me to contiue with the antibiotics i was taking, then they gave a me a slip called an SOS appointment. she then told me i had to have a blood test before i went to this SOS appointment. but basicly the SOS slip u can book your appointment for whenever u want. then a week later i was prescribed accutane :)

So could you all tell me whether you got your TANE at your first Dermalogist appointment and/or how soon afterwards you were actually able to get your hands on the actual pills?

Yes he would have given it me on my first appointment but stupidly I aksed to try yet another antibiotic first. I came out wondering why the hell I'd done that, since I've been jumping through all the GP's hoops since last November just waiting for the chance to get roaccutane. Anyway, since roaccutane can only be dished out by particular pharmacies (i.e. the hospital pharmacy where the consultant works) chances are you will be able collect them the same day (I got them on the day they were prescribed, but had to wait for the blood test results, next day, to start taking them though).

Make sure to stress that you've tried everything else, that antibiotics don't work and/or disagree with you and/or you don't want to take them longterm, and that you're already scarring. Unless he's a complete tw*t, one of those reasons would be enough. Good luck!

One thing you could possibly try is finding a dermatologist that does both NHS and private work. If you're prepared to pay privately for the initial consultation (and therefore not wait until september) it's very common for them to "convert" you to an NHS patient after that with free blood tests, prescriptions, etc. That's how I saw my dermatologist first time round, waiting 3 days instead of 3 months (it was £90 though).

One other thing -- although the chances are you would be looking a lot better by christmas (if you start in september) I just thought I would warn you that 6 weeks in, my skin is a lot worse than when I started. As you probably know, it's very different for everyone, but in the end it works for 99.9%. Not trying to put you off at all, just saying to focus on the goal (clear skin) which will be achieved rather than some "deadline" which may or may not.

Andrew

I'll do that. it seems that if you wanna get anywhere to getting Roaccutane you gotta wine ur arse off at the medics untill they give you what you want. well me and my mum can both be very manipulative in getting what we want in situations like that so i'll take ur advice, Andrew, and tell them i just wont take the antibiotics anymore and all that. and my parents dont want to pay extra to go private so i'll have to wait :(

and i am aware it may not be good by christmas and i aint making a deadline i just thought it was a possibility. i know i may have to wait till January or Febuary next year till its completely gone and even then may need more but im just being hopeful :) and im focusing more on what i may look like rather than when i may look like it.

thanks for all ur posts so far :D