Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SLR

Low Dose Accutane Log

Hey all! so I finally started up on my accutane journey! I decided to keep this log for anyone interested in starting up on accutane and for those who are also on a low dose prescription that can maybe give me advice. anyway here goes! hope it works....

Day 1:

Obviously nothing really to report yet. took my first pill after eating a full lunch and some coffee. I felt a little light-headed later in the evening but I think it might have been the heat (it was soooo hot today!) rather than the tane. I did put a little BP JUST on the few lingering trouble spots. Pre-tane I used to put the cream all over my face to try and stop new ones from coming, but I figured that was a no no now. It's gonna be so weird not having to put all those creams and astringent on my face every day and night. it was such a process!

Day 2:

My skin is feeling a little dry and some of the pimples I had before are already drying up and/or coming to a head! :D I dont know if it was the tane, the BP, or just the fact that it was due-time for those bitches to dry up (they were those annoying lingering ones that stay raised even after they aren't active anymore) but I must say I am in such a good mood to think this is going to work for me! Still am nervous about that IB though.....yikes I hope I am one of the lucky few who skips that or only gets a minor one! anyway thats all to report, more later kiddos!!

Good luck with your treatment! Im on 20mg/day too and so far the side effects have been very minimal. Hope its the same for you

omgomg - goodluck to you too and thanks for the info! I hope my effects are minimal too...about what week did you get your IB? if you did get one that is..

Hmmmm - thanks!! goodluck to you too....hope we both get the results we are looking for!

imogen - thanks and hope everything works out for ya too!! hows the lose dose treating ya, are you getting minimal side effects? how long have you been on it?

Day 3 - okay so now my skin is starting to dry up a little. nothing serious, i can just feel that it is a little tighter. lips havent started getting chapped yet (little bummed because apparently thats the cue that this stuff is working) but I know its only the 3rd day so it shouldnt yet. I havent gotten any newbies, but my old ones are starting to dry up more. there are two big painful cysts on the bottom of my cheek that are taking FOREVER to heal though. I am thinking about going to the derm to have them injected to prevent scarring. Besides the old zits, my complexion is looking good. my pores are so small and I am not oily AT ALL. i didnt really have a problem with oily skin, but it did tend to get shiny on occasion, but now when I look in the mirror I never have to reapply powder, hurray! other than that, nothing new to report. hope you all are having a great weekend!! :)

Well side effects are minimal for me, ie. no chapped lips or severely dry skin. I'm currently on Day 20 or so, but the low dose is enough to noticibly cut down my oil production. IB-wise.... Unfortunately i didn't escape from it, though i'm guessing the breakout might be caused by other factors as well (you can read about that on my log).

I'm thinking of asking to be bumped up to 20mg... But i'm gonna discuss it with my doc first. I'm uncomfortable with the fact that i'll prob have to be on 'tane much longer than most pple if i stay on this extremely low dose!

Anyway. Keep us updated! Feel free to PM me if you wanna ask anything :)

Imogen - side effects have actually been very minimal for me too. honestly i dont really feel any different! but then again its only the 4th day. I am hoping because of the low-dose it'll stay this way, even if I do have to stay on it a bit longer like you said. as for the IB, I guess its one obstacle I'll have to face in the path for clear skin, but I am hoping by the 2nd month I will be free and clear! I read your log, I am sorry about your IB problems :( but like you said, I am sure those other factors came into play as well. I am sure you will get the results you wanted soon! just keep your head up!

Day 4 - It's weird but the dryness I was experiencing the other day totally vanished and my skin is so soft and smooth and my pores are non-existent! I think it may be this new face wash I got. Its a Phisoderm mosturizing deep clean cleanser with aloe and vitamin E. I think the drops I am taking help a lot as well. They are 24,000 I.U. and you just take about 5 or 6 drops in a teaspoon a day (it is pure enough to just swallow on its own). as for new breakouts, I see 3 very, very tiny red dots. On on the side of the bridge of my nose, and two on the side of my cheek. they dont really hurt, but I am scared they will turn big. I put a spot vanishing cream (BP) on them just in case. I am determined to battle this IB! other than that, nothing new to report.

okay so I was away for 5 days visiting fam in NJ and the internet was broken so I wasn't able to update anything till now :( buuuuut here goes:

DAY 8: well I went through a really bad breakout while in NJ. I am hoping and praying this is the IB because my skin has never ever looked this bad! I have a huge cyst on the side of the bridge of my nose and one on my cheek that hurt so bad! i also have a couple on the sides of my jawline that are also big and painful. usually I'll only get one or two of these huge ones at a time so this is so ridiculous! I dont even want to look at myself in the mirror right now and it was so embarassing to see family looking the way I do!! well now they are finally starting to heal I think because they are less painful and hopefully going down. the big ones have been there for about a week now and arent going away so I made an appo. with my derm to get them injected to prevent scarring. i am hoping the worst of it is over and i can look forward to clearer skin from now onwards. my lips are also starting to get drier but my skin is still how it has always been - not oily but not dry anbd flaky either. i really hope that I am not gonna get anymore of these huger pimples all at once because classes are starting soon and I DO NOT want to be seen like this! if this is the IB, I was right in being scared! anyway, heres hoping tomorrow will be a better (and clearer) day!

sorry to hear about your breakout :(... I know exactly how you feel! But i always remind myself that the IB's purging away all the zits that are gonna pop up sooner or later anway. Cheer up! :) Think of the clear skin you'll have at the end of this journey...

Getting the bigger cysts injected is a good move, i just got a really huge one injected 2 days ago and it's almost gone now.

sorry to hear about your breakout :(... I know exactly how you feel! But i always remind myself that the IB's purging away all the zits that are gonna pop up sooner or later anway. Cheer up! :) Think of the clear skin you'll have at the end of this journey...

Getting the bigger cysts injected is a good move, i just got a really huge one injected 2 days ago and it's almost gone now.

yeah thats true, better out than in huh? :)

DAY 9 - almost done the first blister pack, only one more left!! well I must say these days my skin is looking MUCH better! I hope this marks the end of the dreaded IB cause all my old ones have dried up and I have no more new ones!! the large cysts are still there because they are taking forever to go down, but they are no longer active or hurt anymore so I am hoping when I get them injected on tuesday they will go down fast! My skin still hasnt dried out TOO much...nothing a little lotion doesnt fix at least. and my lips are a little dry but def nothing too extreme. a little chapstick now and then does the trick. I don't want to jinx myself and celebrate too soon but I am hoping that from now onwards I will continue to improve and that I just got my IB done early! hope you all had a good weekend! :wub:

hey!! im on the same dose as you..im 120lbs

i also started just under two weeks ago. and im experiencing the IB today..and have been for a while i think..so lets hope both of our IBs are almost over!:) take care hun, and good luck! :wub:

hey!! im on the same dose as you..im 120lbs

i also started just under two weeks ago. and im experiencing the IB today..and have been for a while i think..so lets hope both of our IBs are almost over!:) take care hun, and good luck! :wub:

Oh good we can be tane buddies then!! yeah I def experienced the IB a couple days ago (at least I HOPE thats what it was, if not I'm screwed!) as you can see from my log. It was def rough times :evil: Mine only lasted about a week though and now my skin is starting to look FANTASTIC!! so keep your head up, you will soon get the clear skin you always wanted! good luck darlin'! :D

DAY 10 (END OF FIRST BLISTER PACK! :dance: )

Damn time FLIES by on this stuff huh?? well after what was such a terrible breakout, I am now happy to say I am clearing up wonderfully!! My dad came back from a business trip ro Japan last night and was like "wow, your skin looks GREAT! what have you been doing??" this from a dad that is VERY critical (but in a loving way, he means well) and will tell you need to lose weight even if you are 100 pounds, so I am satisfied! all the old little ones have dried up and peeled off (I had put some dots of BP on them which really helped) and the three monster big cysts have gone down sooo much. I am still getting those suckers injected though, because with those bumps gone I will have 100% CLEAR SKIN! no active ones so far.....but I know I so totally jinxed myself. I'm praying tomorrow I wont be like "yep you guys, I jinxed it, I have 36278632767 new biggies" :pray: anyway my skin is starting to get a little dry around my mouth area and flaking, but not much YET. my lips arent really drying up at all yet which kinda worries me that I am not getting the full effect of the medication. do your lips have to be REALLY dry to show its working?? anyway, I hope I continue to clear because it really is starting to look SO much better!

awezome!!!!!!!! man the feeling of having great skin after all the struggling has GOT to be GREATTTT! :dance: and man....do i know about having critical parents....mine are always trying to help as well..but it hurts a lot too sometimes.. just today my whole family was over (cousins, aunts, uncles,etc.) and we were all eating dinner downstairs. and i wasnt wearing any makeup so my skin was Right out there for everyon to see rite...... so my mom goes outta nowhere....... "Your medicine's not working at all!!! look at your skin, dear!!!" and there go about 10 heads all iin my direction........ ah........embarassment :redface: its okay tho....it was actually kinda surprising to be honest....bc i diddnt go back to my room and cry about comments made to me about my skin this time..... i smiled and said it was bc my skin was going to get worse bfore it got better and carried onto another topic.... i guess acne can make you stronger.... :wub: arite hun..enough of that.. take care and am sooo gladd your skin has responded so well already!!! CONGRATS :dance:

CAGrl - I know right! i feel like nothing could ruin my mood right now, this stuff is a godsend!! :D oh and good for you on how you handled your family's comments....i def know how that feels. its rough. its like you're already on edge about people noticing your skin and sensitive at other people's glances, figuring they are probably looking at the bumps on your face. so when someone finally comments on it, even though its like you expected it, it is still uncomfortable. trust me, its the same with all of us. when I had my IB my dad was like "i think you are allergic to your new medicine." and my mom was like "I really think you might want to get rid of your cat because she's causing your breakouts." I felt like screaming, just leave me alone and let it heal! but now they are biting back their words b/c my skin looks GREAT! and i'm sure yours soon will too, and you can go make-upless and confident to your family like "HA, whats not working NOW?!" :razz: I def agree that acne makes you a stronger person...first it allows a person to develop an amazing personality and second a strong skin to critical comments. anyway babe, goodluck with everything and hope you are enjoying your weekend!! :wub:

DAY 11 - broke into the next blister pack..yaaay! anyway today nothing has changed. no new breakouts, hooray! skin tone is excellent and my pores are nonexistent. my skin isnt dry and flaking, but it is matte and not shiny at all! I went out last night to the bars with my friends (only had two beers though....it was weird not going shot for shot with my friends like I would normally do, but I guess I have to give up something for clear skin huh?) and I felt so confident and happy. my skin didnt get shiny or oily AT ALL like it normally would, even in the humidity!! :dance: I didnt have to touch up with powder AT ALL! now thats a first. def an amazing feeling. my lips are getting a little drier every day, but I like that they are getting more full and bright, haha. with chapstick and lipgloss on it looks like I got collegen injections in my lips ;) I had gotten the bumps from old cysts injected yesterday and now they are GONE! oh and about that derm visit, there were two EXTREMELY hott interns observing with my derm. I was so embarassed when I had to explain to them I was getting previous acne bumps injected. they were young (probably mid-20 med students) and they looked like models!! I am not exaggerating. my derm is young too so you could tell she was trying to show off to them. they asked her if the injections really worked and she looked at me and was like "well she gets them a lot, what do you think, do they work?" I turned bright red and was like "yeah, they def do." but I was mad she put me on the spot like that. then she said, "yeah, the day of my wedding I injected my Maid of Honor". and the guys were like, "is that allowed?" and laughed. and she had the nerve to say, "well I wanted my wedding to be PERFECT so i couldnt have her with a big pimple on her face." I wanted to melt into my seat. the way they were all talking she was DEF flirting. she continued to explain how her husband was really vain so she kept needles at home and injected him alot as well as herself if she felt something coming up. when I finally ended the mortification session, the receptionist didnt know what went on, but she asked me who I had and when I told her my derm, she made this nasty face and was like "girlie, I dont trust her. shes too young and full of herself. I'd switch to Dr. Li, she's so much better." I laughed and agreed. so to make a long story short I'm switching derms. oh and the receptionist was such a sweetheart. she was like, "You know I've seen you come in and I was always like I dont know why that girl is coming to the derm she has beautiful skin and you are a gorgeous girl. you just started breaking out a bit recently but this stuff works wonders. I see people come in all the time with serious acne and in about a month or two their skin looks so incredibly clear. yours is already starting to look wonderful and you'll see, next month you will be back to being crystal clear! actually, it'll be even BETTER than your skin before." I wanted to jump over the counter and hug and kiss her, it really did make my day, haha. anyway I hope you guys are having a GREAT weekend!! goodluck to everyone... *kisses*

I am sorry about the hair loss :( have you tried the Redkin Leave-In Conditioning treatments? they come in these huge tubs and you can get them at most hair salons. I have one that moisturizes and revitalizes color-treated hair and one that is like this deep conditioning anti-breakage and frizz treatment. they are VERY good and I highly reccommend them. you leave them on for like half an hour to 45 minutes after showering then rinse them and the results are amazing! they will def help out with the dry and brittleness. I am sure the hair loss will be reduced a little too due to this. hope it helps ya out, and on a better note, glad the skin is looking better!! pretty soon you will be perfectly clear and all these side effects will be well worth it :D hope you are enjoying your weekend!

Hey-thanks so much for the tip. I am going to get it today!!! I'll keep you posted.

Did the cortisone shots work for you?

jennafun009 - glad to help ya out hun! hope it works out for you!! def let me know if your hair improves! and yes, the cortison injections worked WONDERS for me. I would really reccommend it if you have one of those painful big cysts or nodules. it brings them down sooooo much faster. i'd say it's completely or almost completely flat in about two days as opposed to a week, so it really helps prevent scarring...def my savior!! :dance: like i said, i got 3 of mine injected two days ago and now they are all completely flat and vanished. while i was there i also had her inject one under the skin that i felt was gonna come up and ruin my clear streak, so she did and it never made an appearance! anyway hope this helped ya out!

DAY 14(?) - 2 week mark, hurray! skin looks FABULOUS! no bumps, no active ones, no newbies! JUST CLEAR CLEAR CLEAR! the injected cysts are gone completely as well. a few little red spots here and there from oldies, but they are fading rather quickly, which is surprising because i thought accutane made scars heal a lot slower? anyway my lips are DEF starting to dry out now (at least now i know the drug is in full effect!), but there isnt really flaking of the skin yet. the cetaphil lotion seems to be helping in that area. no joint or muscle pain to complain of yet, and i am hoping it'll continue that way!! this stuff is amazing...i couldnt be happier right now! goodluck to you all and enjoy your weekend!

DAY 21 - my bad, I was at the beach all last week with no internet access! but now I'm baaaaaack! :D anyway, to update all of you i did get a small cyst on the top of the bridge of my nose and on my right cheek. i was dissppointed because they came out of nowhere and i was doing so well!! grrr :evil: however, i think they could be due to a number of factors but im not sure....one may be that its about to be that "time of the month", and i always get one or two around that time. it may also be because i drank a lot this weekend. i know i shouldnt have but its almost the end of summer and the bars at the beach were having these huge parties and i couldnt resist...i know im bad :cry: i know that alcohol is bad for your liver on accutane because of all the vitamin a hitting hard, but i was wondering, does it cause the medicine to counteract? like does it make it not work if u drink on it? please let me know. i also didnt wash my face one night after a 311 concert where i was around drunk sweaty people and I myself was sweating up a storm. not good. other than that, the cysts have already started going down (i have been attacking them with BP). another question for you all....my lips and face havent really started getting dry much at ALL yet...is the medicine not working or something? i take it with coffee (with cream and sugar) and a cheese croissant breakfast sandwich every morning, you think that would be fatty enough to absorb the medicine? i dont know why im not feeling any of the effects yet, which i know isnt exactly a bad thing but i want to know this stuff is working ya know?? anyway, enjoy your weekend kiddos!