Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kiwi-rabbit

Roaccutane. DID YOU HAVE TO GO ON THE PILL???

HI! im elle. i live in the UK. i have moderately severe acne and clinical depression(due to my acne). recently my mum put her foot down at my local doctors surgery and demanded i get referred to the hospital...i was! i have an appointment for the 5th September 2006. its still a month or 2 away but i'm willing to be patient. i was told id probably be put on the "miracle drug" ROACCTUTANE!!!!YAYAYAYAY! :D after doing my lump of research i came across the iPledge program and all that pregnancy stuff...

I found it among an official looking Medication Guide which had been distributed by Roche Laboratories(big pharmacidical company who i assume make alot of the accutane people are taking today). In this document it stated that, "YOU WILL NOT BE PESCRIBED ACCUTANE IF YOU CANNOT AGREE TO OR FOLLOW ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS OF THE iPLEDGE PROGRAM" i thought eek scary and read on and found this... " Female patients who can become pregnant must agree to use 2 seperate forms of effective birth control at the same time 1 month before, while taking, and for 1 month after taking Accutane". I've come across older girls... well women who have deffinately been on a birth control pill that their dermatologist put them on at the same time as Roaccutane, but they were all sexualy active anyway. but I'm 15years old, its not legal for me to have sex yet :angel: so i have no idea if i'll count for a "female patient who can become pregnant". we told my doctor i dont have a boyfriend or anything etc etc and she said i may not have to be put on it but theoritically i can still become pregnant which is why I'm worried. my mum and dad look pretty pissed that i may be forced onto the pill and im scared they'll stop me from going on Roaccutane if I do.

And i dont partically want my course of Roaccutane to be delayed by another month cos there's a "risk".

So basicly im asking if any other under 16 year old girls HAD to go on the pill to before being given Roaccutane?

thx, elle

iPledge only applies in the US. I'm not sure about the rules in the UK. but I'm pretty sure they will not make you go on the pill. Even under iPledge you can "pledge abstinence" and they won't force you to go on birth control. Talk to your doctor to make sure.

i'm 16 and i asked my doctor if i had to take birth control and he said i don't have to if i swear not to have intercourse so i doubt that you will have to... but you have to take a pregnancy test and wait a month untill you can get accutane regardless (unless you have not began menstrating) :confused:

You state that it is not *legal* for you to have sex... This is your personal matter whether you are sexually active or not and you don't have to say either way. I hope you are honest with your parent in this regard because it is a very serious matter that they need to be aware of as they decide whether to put you on accutane or not...

Please note that if you do become preganant, I don't have the data handy, but it is I think 90+% that the child will have some form of deformity and that abortion is almost always performed due to that high risk. Be very careful with it, a condom is almost not enough so you may want to add a spermacide if you chose not to be put on BC pills.

seriously. i dont plan to have sex on this drug and although i wouldn't lie to my parents it's not realy any of they're business either :s

well did anyone have to have a pregnancy test then to go on accutane? even if they did pledge abstinence?

seriously. i dont plan to have sex on this drug and although i wouldn't lie to my parents it's not realy any of they're business either :s

well did anyone have to have a pregnancy test then to go on accutane? even if they did pledge abstinence?

You're in the UK. They don't even have IPledge there.

Edit: And if they want you to go on the pill, why not just do it? It's a lot less dangerous than Accutane... plus there's lots of benefits to it like lighter, shorter periods and helping your acne if it's hormonal. Lots of people who don't have sex take birth control pills for acne or menstrual regulation.

no but the laws are similar. getting accutane isnt an easy jump in and out with the drug thing. i'll still have to swear i wont get screwed or i'll need to go on contraception.

and 1. the pill will not cure my acne. full stop. 2. the reason i posted this thread is because i know that if i HAVE TO TAKE THE PILL MY PARENTS WILL CERTAINLY NOT LIKE IT. im the one that doesn't realy mind as long as i get the drug at the end of the day.

but thank you for everyones posts