Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jonny_boy

Acne "Cures" not used by doctors?

On this board, i've noticed lots of tried and tested acne "cures" that work for a majority of people here, yet they're not prescribed by doctors etc and i'm not sure if the medical rpofession are aware of them.

For example

Jessfoliation

B5 Cure

Clear Skin Regieme

Sea Salt baths

I'm sure there's many more here. Has anyone else noticed that on an acne bored more acne cures have been devised yet the professionals aren't using them?

Yeah, you know I wouldn't be at all surprised if they:

1: Purposely use products that only help acne somewhat but usually never solve the problem to make money and continued business

2: Are too stupid to know that these methods exist because they suck at their careers.

thats bc thsi site isnt about making money and we genuinely care about eachother and the "cure" for acne .. dermatologists dont give a damn and neither do the companies that put out acne products they just make the products "help" our acne but never cure it so that we keep coming back for me .. it really is a vicious cycle. I am so thankful i have found this website bc my skin has chnaged so much over the past year .. all for the better.

Same here, my skin has changed too since finding the site. I jsut find ti weird that the medical professional and health Services do not know about these cures, that actually work in getting rid fo acne permanately. It's so weird.

On this board, i've noticed lots of tried and tested acne "cures" that work for a majority of people here, yet they're not prescribed by doctors etc and i'm not sure if the medical rpofession are aware of them.

For example

Jessfoliation

B5 Cure

Clear Skin Regieme

Sea Salt baths

I'm sure there's many more here. Has anyone else noticed that on an acne bored more acne cures have been devised yet the professionals aren't using them?

Of the "cures" you listed, the only one that has had a high success rate is the Clear Skin Regimen. The results with the others have been pretty inconsistent, based on what I've seen on these boards. The Clear Skin Regimen pretty much takes widely available products and tells you how to use them properly. Derms just don't seem to want to take the time to tell their patients how to use the BP topical they prescribe.

^ But all acne treatments are like that, even accutane. I feel that the ones above have had high success rates from what i've read.

2: Are too stupid to know that these methods exist because they suck at their careers.

I'm pretty sure that all doctors have saved more lives than we ever will. So don't be too harsh that they can't cure a problem caused by unknown DNA processes. Modern medicine is still in its infant stage. Everything takes time unfortunately.

I mean It's so weird that there's so many simple things found here that can drastically improve acne yet we're still being prescribed antibitoics etc :s

actually i disagree with you ben100604 .. they know their careers very well .. but why would any dermatologist want to find a cure? if they did then no1 would have acne and they would b out of business .. see my point. Acne has to exist to support other people's lives. Granted dermatologist don't just deal with acne but the majority of ppl that step into their offices have acne or had acne and still need soem form of treatment. So if there is a cure there is no wayy in hell any doctor will let us know. I am sure there is but no one has been kind enough to let it out .. and until that one person does then we will all b wasting our money for the benefit of these dermatologists .. so they can sit at home with their millions.

Well ehre in the UK we have a National healthservice which is free and paid through taxes, so that wouldn't apply... cos they wanna egt rid of us as quickly as psosible as they have many patients... so it's like "hey new acnekid, here's accutane! want it?... no thanks sounds scary!... ok then CYA!!" no lie. So the health professionals here would benefit froma cure.

Well ehre in the UK we have a National healthservice which is free and paid through taxes, so that wouldn't apply... cos they wanna egt rid of us as quickly as psosible as they have many patients... so it's like "hey new acnekid, here's accutane! want it?... no thanks sounds scary!... ok then CYA!!" no lie. So the health professionals here would benefit froma cure.

Acne is an industry which is worth billions of pounds so why would the goverment benefit from a cure?

I think it's easy to say it's because the government want to make money and dermotologists but that sounds so immoral. I dunno if that's the real issue... places like this are amazing that have created idea that have worked for people.

For example

Jessfoliation

B5 Cure

Clear Skin Regieme

Sea Salt baths

Are these things really "cures"? I consider them "treatments", because once you go off, your acne returns. Even Dan himself agrees that once you quit CSR, your acne will return--unless of course you've completely outgrown acne. (see the very last item of his faq: http://www.acne.org/faq.html )

In fact, I think the only thing that comes close to a permanent cure is accutane. Yes I know it doesn't work for everyone, but as an example, Dan says that accutane cured his back acne (see http://www.acne.org/acne_treatment.html ).

Some people argue that derms don't want to cure acne; they only want to prescribe things that will make patients keep coming back. That may be true, but the alternative "cures" suggested here are the same. Just like antibiotics, you must continue bp or B5 everyday, or your acne will return.

Personally, I'm ok with that, because I'm not asking for a permanent cure. If, in order to stay *completely* clear, I have to apply a cream or take a pill everyday for the rest of my life, I'm willing to do it. The problem is, nothing I've tried so far--be it doctor prescribed or suggested on this messageboard--has done that :(

For example

Jessfoliation

B5 Cure

Clear Skin Regieme

Sea Salt baths

Ditto what others have said about these "cures". I have never heard of Jessfoliation so can't comment on it. However B5 seems to produce haphazard results and there isn't any clear information about possible side effects, ,including in the long term. The CSR is somewhat recognised, afterall its just a benzol peroxide treatment and I haven't seen much on these boards or anywhere else about the efficacy of sea salt baths in the treatment of acne.

did u ever wonder why the word cures is in quotation marks? they arent really cures but they help ppl alot .. and non of those "cures" would ever be recommended by any dermatologist. They dont necessarily cure acne but they are treatments that are so easy to use .. and who would think sea salt works in helping acne but it does! As far as the B5 "cure" that is the only one i disagree withg bc i do not believe megadosing on vitamins is the way to go .. there are many health risks involved.

did u ever wonder why the word cures is in quotation marks? they arent really cures but they help ppl alot .. and non of those "cures" would ever be recommended by any dermatologist. They dont necessarily cure acne but they are treatments that are so easy to use .. and who would think sea salt works in helping acne but it does! As far as the B5 "cure" that is the only one i disagree withg bc i do not believe megadosing on vitamins is the way to go .. there are many health risks involved.

Thankyou Pumpkins, that's exactly what I was trying to say in my post, "cures" is in quotations for a reason.

Point taken about the word cures appearing in quotes. However, the point I was trying to make is that I don't think it is true to say that the cures listed help the majority of people (accept perhaps the CSR - but people already know about bp - its the active ingredient in most over the counter acne products).

There is no cure for acne. Accutane comes pretty close I guess, but maybe that's the only exception. Some treatments may help alot by killing bactera, promoting cell growth, etc, but there isn't anything that cures it. I do agree that when you see a professional, expect to walk out with presription strength medication. Even if it isn't the most effective thing.

Maverick did u bother to read any of the other posts? we alrdy know he didnt mean actual cures hence the quotation marks.

Maverick did u bother to read any of the other posts? we alrdy know he didnt mean actual cures hence the quotation marks.

No I didn't bother to read the other posts, lol. Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentative -- I just didn't think the classification of those treatments even under the word cure (even w/ quotation marks ) is really accurate. If something on here cleared me up 100%, I'm not going to call it a cure, but rather a damn effective treatment.

Not all doctors are bad. I first got on acne medication from a ears, nose and throat doctor who just knew that i needed something to fight acne, and then he sent me to a derm. The derm got me on accutane and im happy for it. Doctors are good in their specialized areas, not so good in others.

It probably depends on the medical system, too. Here in Canada, we have universal healthcare, and hospital staff aren't paid based on how many patients they see; they would rather cure you of disease so that you don't crowd the hospital.

I can see how in 2nd and 3rd world countries where you have to pay per visit (ie. if you can't afford it, you don't get to see a doctor), derms might prescribe something which will force you to return again so that they can make more money in the long run.