Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aussie Boy #5555

Question - Protein shakes while on Accutane?

Hopefully someone can help answer this question :)

Since I started Accutane my confidence has increased heaps and I'm back in the gym 3 times a week. I'm not experiencing any pains during nor after I workout, so I'm thinking of going back on the protein shakes I used to take when I was training heavily a few years ago (after a while I got pretty down about my skin and just stopped going to the gym; funny how something like bad skin can completely change your lifestyle habits huh?!)

Anyway, whilst reading the ingredients I noticed that it contains "Vitamin A Acetate". Now I know that we're not supposed to be taking extra Vitamin A whilst on 'Tane, but I don't think this is really a major component of the ingredients. Do you think I should steer clear of this?

Does anyone have any similar experience or advice they can offer? Muchos gracias in advance :wub:

I would wait until you're done, but for now one of the safest ways of gaining mass is just increase your calorie intake. You said you are working harder in the gym now that you are on accutane so it should cause your body to use those calories in the right way by building mass.

I took protein shakes for about a year (3 years ago). I read an article about how they are terrible for your skin and I stopped to see what happened, my acne improved dramatically. Now that we're on accutane I wonder if it would even make a difference afterwards, I might try protein shakes again once I'm off accutane.

Just my thoughts :)

^^That's odd, I had the opposite effect once I started taking whey protein my acne cleared up drastically but I was also on a no starchy foods & low sugar diet so maybe that had alot to do with why I cleared up :think:

Thanks for your posts guys :)

I took protein shakes for about a year (3 years ago). I read an article about how they are terrible for your skin and I stopped to see what happened, my acne improved dramatically.

wow, this is a really useful article for me.

I lift weights and take creatine/whey... This is bad for my skin?!?

Yeah they're both generally considered bad for your skin especially if you are/were ignorant like myself and take crappy GNC products :confused:

Now I do research on everything that goes into my body, thanks GNC!!

Anyways, it depends on your body, whey protein is a dairy extract so if your skin is dairy sensitive (like mine) it will make you break out but if you're lucky like DMBsDreamGrl then you have no worries :)

Dude I wouldnt worry about it. I took a ridiculous amount of whey over a year and a half or two trying to gain mass. I went from 128 lbs to 170 lbs over that time... I never noticed any skin worsening. Even tried creatine for a while with no problems.

I plan on gettin back in the gym so I will be taking a lot of whey again... I will be your guinnea pig if you want and I'll get back to you on the results. I'm not too worried though.

Just a comment on the Vitamin A thing....I asked my derm the other day about it. He said you can take a daily vitamin that contains vitamin A and not worry about it at all. Accutane is like 150,000 times what you should be taking so 1 daily vitamin does nothing to your dosage. There is a lot of talk on the site about avoiding Vitamin A but in reality don't worry about it.

I know your question was about your shake but either way you would be fine. I personally definitely noticed my face breakout when I was taking the creatine. Protein did not bother me.

later,

Greg

Cheers mate. I am going to order some Lean Protein powder which is free of Creatine

It's this one: http://www.thexton.com.au/product/MAX%27S/...tein__-__1.25kg

Ingredients: Max's Daytime Instantised Protein Blend (High GMP Whey Protein Isolate, High Beta-Whey Fraction Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolysed Whey Protein Isolate), Flavours, L-Glutamine (0.5%), L-Leucine (0.5%), L-Isoleucine (0.25%), L-Valine (0.25%), Vegetable Gum (407), Soy Lecithin, Sweeteners (951, 956), Minerals (Potassium Citrate, Tri Calcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Ferrous Fumarate, Zinc Sulphate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite, Chromium Chloride), Vitamins (Vitamin C, Nicotinamide, Vitamin B6, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Thiamin, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3, Biotin, Vitamin B12). Contains milk protein and soy lecithin.

Heya mate, i used to use the whey protein and didnt notice much of a change in acne, maybe a slight change but very slight if that.

I also stopped working out, mainly cause my acne bought down my self-confidence.

I reccomend Optimum 100% ON Whey Protein, i think its called.

I bought a 10G pack (4.7KG, Cost me somthing like $120?) which is a very big bag of protein, i noticed it on bodybuilding.com where it got Supplement of the year, and Protein Powder of the year and they talked it up heaps.

Well anyways its not expensive compared to others, actually quite cheap, and buying in bulk is the way to go i reckon. i bought mine off www.mrsupplement.com.au

and i can't find anything about Vitamin A in the ingredients.

Hey man thanks for your reply.

My MAX's lean protein powder arrived the other day, but i've been working all week since monday (just started a new job and the training is full on!), and i don't have a day off until next wednesday.... which means i won't be able to get stuck into this stuff for roughly another week :(

we'll see how it all goes though, i'm feeling confident :P

Hey,

This was a really interesting article to read, but honestly. Im only 15 and because i play so much sport a family friend of ours is a qualified weights trainer and made my program for me, I have 1 protein shake a day and its got a bit of creatine mixed through it. I use one of those big tubs of MAX's and my oldest bro just mixed a bit of creatine into the powder. My skin has been fine, I mean iv had a flare but its not due tot the shakes.......... I think u'll be fine.

goodluck!

Drew

Currently, I have been mega dosing on the whey/creatine shakes.. im getting 200 grams of protein in my body a day... through eggs, Peanut butter, and shakes. I have had no increase in Acne what-so-ever. a little constipation though, but oh well... the road to muscle mass isn't all shits and giggles. :clap: