Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Da Real BucK

Question about shaving and BP

how often should us (men) change our razors? I'm not sure but using the same one too much can be extremely irritating causing tons of acne correct? and does it really matter which ones we use or should I buy the one dan recommends?

also, do we ever become BP resistant to the point where it is not as affective anymore? because i was clear from the regimen for a while and all of a sudden im breaking out like a teenager.

Thanks

how often should us (men) change our razors? I'm not sure but using the same one too much can be extremely irritating causing tons of acne correct? and does it really matter which ones we use or should I buy the one dan recommends?

also, do we ever become BP resistant to the point where it is not as affective anymore? because i was clear from the regimen for a while and all of a sudden im breaking out like a teenager.

Thanks

I normally use Gillette twin blade disposable, they just seem to work the best for me. I use them just a few times until I notice they donât work quite as well. I quit using BP many years ago because I too thought I was becoming resistant. I switched to Stridex extra strength pads (harsh) which worked really well for me, until they changed the formulation and took out all of the alcohol, after that they didnât seem to be nearly as effective. I have not found a suitable substitute. Also I have noticed that a few hours of sunlight per day helped due to the fact that I worked outdoors, but lately, that has been not very effective either. Accidentally I found that getting a small amount Head and Shoulders shampoo on my face during showering helped for quite some time, but, you may be guessing, that became less effective too. Now I am giving BP a try again and it seems to be working so far. After years of experimenting with many different regimes (Iâm pretty old), it seems sooner or later they start to fail. Perhaps itâs better to change routines every so often, hope this helps a little.

Like Dan has mentioned before, we sometimes get careless with the Regimen after a long period of success with it. Are you using a full finger's worth? Upping the dosage (again) when I had a similar problem a few months ago seemed to resolve the problem.

Also, be sure to evaluate your cleanser, moisturizer, and shaving cream (if you use it). Check out the message boards for reviews of the products you use.

Make sure you change your pillow cases and face towels often too!

how do you know when to start using a new razor? when it starts hurting? how many times do u guys usually use a razor before u toss it

Yeah, for me it's probaly about 3 or 4 times, but it probably depends on how tough your beard is.

I can notice that it doesn't cut as well, but I only shave every other day. (I don't mind the Don Johnson look, and it is less irritating).

Also, if you shave after showering, your beard will be softer and eaiser to shave.

the tiniest bit of hair on my face i feel tends to cause break outs some how and tends to be irritating while i rub the BP on

Personally, I only put the BP on at night, most of the time. If I use it in the a.m, I wouldn't use it on the area of my face which I just shaved.

I know Dan's regimen was developed through years of experimentation to find out what works, but in his shaving advice he has you applying BP after shaving, but in my opinion, if you've got really sensitive skin, it seems like a bad idea to put on BP so soon after a shave.

On the other hand, whether a guy has acne or not, washing your face after a shave, and then applying a non-comedogenic moisturizer after shaving is a VERY good idea. I've used Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizers for years, and have been happy enough with the results, but I'm experimenting with a few other products recommended on these boards. I tried Complex 15 today after shaving and I'm pleased with how smooth and non-greasy my skin feels.

I only shave every 2-3 days. Plenty of stubble in between shaves, but it's a look that works.

My shave gel of choice is Aveeno Therapeutic Shaving Gel (w/ oatmeal). Non-comedogenic, and designed for sensitive skin. Has no added fragrance, but smells great in my opinion (makes me look forward to shaving). No scent remains after rinsing it off.

I also would never consider shaving IN the shower, but shaving immediately after a hot shower gives excellent results.

I notice that if I wait until late in the day to shave, like at night before going out on the town, I'm much more likely to get nicks. So whenever possible, I prefer to shave in the morning.

I generally use Mach III cartridges, which work well but many people complain that they're too expensive, and dull quickly. Since I shave infrequently, I get several weeks out of a cartridge before I need to replace it.

In my experience, the bare minimum specifications for a decent razor (even a disposable) that will shave closely and not nick you too much are: at least two blades, and a pivoting head.

Also: shave in the direction of your beard. At least initially. If the shave isn't close enough, you can have another go at it & shave in the opposite direction.

shaving used to break me out all the time...until i bought the razor dan recommends.

change the blade every 3 shaves or so. use light but confiident strokes and wash before and after lightly. i use neutrogena for men shave gel (non-comedogenic).

it works.

i use the gilette sensor excell

and change razor blade after using 2-3times MAX.

changing it regularly wil help get a closer shave and less irritation.

and less irritation = less acne :D

electric razor i use in the week to keep the sexy man stubble going on ehhe

but i mainly wetshave now as it feels sooooo smooth its awesome :D

Will likely pick up a Dan-recommended Gilette Sensor Excell for comparison's sake the next time I'm at the drugstore. I probably have a little more flexiblity than some people here regarding which razor to use, since my worst breakouts have historically been on the parts of my face other than my beard area. Although my skin does get nicked and inflammed easily. I've never liked any electric razor I've tried.

Well, i was just out at superstore and was looking at blades...

I have the Gilette Sensor Excel. They go for $16.94 CDN after tax for 10 blades, or $1.69 per blade. Then i saw similiar looking blades[2 razors on it, and the white protective strip] which were some cheap generic brand called Exact... which i think walmart also carries. Anyway... for 15 cartridges... they were $5.64, or $0.38 per blade. SHAZAM lol. That's more than 4x cheaper.

So... i'm wondering if anyone here has used this exact brand shaver? You could use the sensor excel blades 2-3 times max... or you could just use the exact blade once and throw it out like it was disposable... and it would actually be a cheaper option.

I'm thinking of switching to this Exact shaver. Well, at least im going to try it. I don't think the blade can become dull on its first use by the time i get to the other side of my face.

The only thing left to consider is the quality. Is the sensor excel blade really any different then exact. In fact... exact blades are probably made by either gilette or shick, and sold as the cheap brand.

Although the sensor excel blade would probably be better than the exact blade on their first use... i think by the time you get to using your sensor excel blade on the 2nd and 3rd use... a fresh exact blade would be more effective, and cause less irritation being sharper.

Any ideas/comments on anything i've said here? Give me some feedback on whether anyone thinks this is worth it?