Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yasmin users.... does your face get oily when your on your week of sugar pills?

Also, I use to get random breakouts during the month and be clear during my period... now i think yasmin has reversed that... :think::think:

I used to breakout a few days before my period. I started skipping the placebo pills and it seems to keep the hormonal acne under control. An added plus.....no period!! Yay!

Yasmin users.... does your face get oily when your on your week of sugar pills?

Also, I use to get random breakouts during the month and be clear during my period... now i think yasmin has reversed that... :think::think:

I tend to break out right around my period, and Yasmin helped a little but I would still break out during that week.

I used to breakout a few days before my period. I started skipping the placebo pills and it seems to keep the hormonal acne under control. An added plus.....no period!! Yay!

but isnt it quite important to sed the lining in your uterus?

Most objections to not having a period are completely unscientific... just objecting to it not being "natural." But it's not like it's a natural period anyway when you're on BC... You're not ovulating so the uterine lining isn't the same as it would be if you were. My GYN told me to have my period once every 3 packs. She said it would be good for my skin and since I have very painful periods it's okay to avoid them.

Most objections to not having a period are completely unscientific... just objecting to it not being "natural." But it's not like it's a natural period anyway when you're on BC... You're not ovulating so the uterine lining isn't the same as it would be if you were. My GYN told me to have my period once every 3 packs. She said it would be good for my skin and since I have very painful periods it's okay to avoid them.

My derm told me the same. She said to have my period every three months....but not for health reasons...she said most docs say this to make the patient feel "normal", and not worry about never having a period.

My derm told me the same. She said to have my period every three months....but not for health reasons...she said most docs say this to make the patient feel "normal", and not worry about never having a period.

Yeah there's really no scientific evidence that says you have to have a period to be healthy... it's just a psychological thing. (Though you could also say that there's no evidence that skipping periods is healthy either... there's really no difinitive scientific evidence in either direction, though it seems to lean towards you not needing them.)

Yeah there's really no scientific evidence that says you have to have a period to be healthy... it's just a psychological thing. (Though you could also say that there's no evidence that skipping periods is healthy either... there's really no difinitive scientific evidence in either direction, though it seems to lean towards you not needing them.)

As i understand it, there is evidence that modern women have too many periods. For most of human history, women would have many pregnancies and lactation cycles throughout their lives - they would have a lot fewer periods during their lifetimes than modern women. There are some indications that these extra periods may contribute to certain reproductive cancers.

When we are taking BC pills we are essentially fooling the body into beleiving itself to be pregnant - the "period" that occurs when the hormones are withdrawn is not a real period anyway, there is no known harm from skipping those, and the stabilized hormones are a benefit.

As i understand it, there is evidence that modern women have too many periods. For most of human history, women would have many pregnancies and lactation cycles throughout their lives - they would have a lot fewer periods during their lifetimes than modern women. There are some indications that these extra periods may contribute to certain reproductive cancers.

When we are taking BC pills we are essentially fooling the body into beleiving itself to be pregnant - the "period" that occurs when the hormones are withdrawn is not a real period anyway, there is no known harm from skipping those, and the stabilized hormones are a benefit.

That's an interesting thought. It never occurred to me that women used to have fewer periods but it makes a lot of sense--no periods while you're pregnant or lactating. Where did you hear that more periods contributes to reproductive cancers? I know that long-term use of birth control pills and other hormonal contraceptives reduces the risk for certain reproductive cancers, so it seems quite plausible.

Where did you hear that more periods contributes to reproductive cancers?

Read it somewhere when i was researching using a monophasic BC to skip the period. Sorry, i don't remember the actual source.

My gyno and I just discussed me skipping my period (I'm on Yasmin) to avoid hormonal breakouts. He's all for it - - just an FYI for girls reading this that DON'T use Yasmin - - make sure there are only TWO colors of pills in your BC if you want to do this - - the hormone and then the sugar. If your pill has STEPS, like Ortho-Tri, you CANNOT do this (I was asking about other brands). I'll update y'all on how my first month sans PMS break-outs go!

DON'T use Yasmin - - make sure there are only TWO colors of pills in your BC if you want to do this - - the hormone and then the sugar. If your pill has STEPS, like Ortho-Tri, you CANNOT do this (I was asking about other brands).

Uh, Yasmin is a monophasic pill with a steady dose and placebo pills, it doesn't step.

Please re-read what I wrote. I said for those who DO NOT use Yasmin. As in use something else. And then I cited Ortho.

I've been taking only the active pills since I started Yasmin last january. I definitely could get used to never having a period. It freaks some girls out, but not me. I don't miss it one tiny bit. My hormones have also been beautifully level and consistent. My ugly PMS days are behind me.

A hint: be sure and check to see if your insurance will cover the extra packs of pills in a year. A normal year of Yasmin will have 12 packs, of course, but if you skip placebos, you'll end up going through 17 or so packs a year. Also make sure that you don't have to wait a certain amount of days to refill, since you'll be starting a new pack every 21 days instead of every 28.

Good luck!

I've been taking only the active pills since I started Yasmin last january. I definitely could get used to never having a period. It freaks some girls out, but not me. I don't miss it one tiny bit. My hormones have also been beautifully level and consistent. My ugly PMS days are behind me.

A hint: be sure and check to see if your insurance will cover the extra packs of pills in a year. A normal year of Yasmin will have 12 packs, of course, but if you skip placebos, you'll end up going through 17 or so packs a year. Also make sure that you don't have to wait a certain amount of days to refill, since you'll be starting a new pack every 21 days instead of every 28.

Good luck!

Yeah... a good strategy with that is to try to get a prescription that will dispense 3 at a time.

I just wanted to post a link to this article by NPR about skipping periods with birth control. It addresses a lot of what we've discussed here, even the concept that women menstruate more now than they used to.

Definitely worth checking out. If you're interested in more articles on the subject, check out this webpage. It's an excellent resource on the topic.

I just wanted to post a link to this article by NPR about skipping periods with birth control. It addresses a lot of what we've discussed here, even the concept that women menstruate more now than they used to.

Definitely worth checking out. If you're interested in more articles on the subject, check out this webpage. It's an excellent resource on the topic.

Both great sites! Thanks a lot!