Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What does sebum do? Is it just used to moisturize skin? Does it help with healing?

I have my theory but what do y'all think?

why did it send me an email of this -_-;;

Can you believe it suscribed me to this WHOLE forum?!! Poor me..

This has been happening for very long time.. and i have just been too lazy to fix this.

Sebum is a mixture of fat and the debris of dead fat-producing cells. These cells are constantly replaced by new growth at the base of the glands. Generally the sebum is deposited on the hairs inside the follicles and is brought up to the surface of the skin along the hair shaft. In hairless areas, the sebum surfaces through ducts. Sebum lubricates and protects the hair and skin and prevents drying and irritation of membranes. Sebum may collect excessively as a result of poor hygiene, a diet rich in fats, or accelerated glandular activity, especially during adolescence. Excessive secretions of sebum may be related to acne, certain forms of baldness, and other skin disorders.

Hope this helps.

Sebum is a mixture of fat and the debris of dead fat-producing cells. These cells are constantly replaced by new growth at the base of the glands. Generally the sebum is deposited on the hairs inside the follicles and is brought up to the surface of the skin along the hair shaft. In hairless areas, the sebum surfaces through ducts. Sebum lubricates and protects the hair and skin and prevents drying and irritation of membranes. Sebum may collect excessively as a result of poor hygiene, a diet rich in fats, or accelerated glandular activity, especially during adolescence. Excessive secretions of sebum may be related to acne, certain forms of baldness, and other skin disorders.

Hope this helps.

also, in teens with acne, the reason they have acne is because the sebum doesn't flow out of the skin correctly, it gets clogged up due to bacteria called p.acnes, it doesn't just flow right out of the skin like its supposed to, and this is how we get acne. I think you grow out of acne due to the fact that as you get older less sebum is produced, so theres less clogging, and the p.acnes bacteria seems to die down, because sebum is like food for this bacteria.