Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JR86

What should I do?

So here's my dilemma, the regimen I'm using now is keeping my skin fairly under control (only a few small pimples a week, no cysts, which I can deal with.) but I know I can't take cephelexin forever and the second I stop taking it i will break out horribly (I started really clearing up after my derm swiched my antibiotic to ceph). my derm suggested I go on accutane but I feel like the way my skin is now i don't need it. should I just keep taking the antibiotic knowing that it's going to quit working one of these days, or start accutane?

Thanks, Jordan

I'd rather take accutane for 5-6 months than hae to take antibiotices for a few years. Studies say that accutane for a few months can actually be safer than anti biotice used long term.

should I just keep taking the antibiotic knowing that it's going to quit working one of these days, or start accutane?

does antibiotics really quit working after a certain amount of time? like does the acne "adapt" to the medicine so that the antibiotics have no effect after a certain amount of exposure? if thats the case, i would take accutane if you know eventually the antibiotics won't work anymore. why delay the inevitable?

does antibiotics really quit working after a certain amount of time? like does the acne "adapt" to the medicine so that the antibiotics have no effect after a certain amount of exposure?

Yes. It's very common with long-term use of antibiotics for the bacteria to develop a resistance to the drug, and then you stop seeing the same effects. It's micro-evolution at work. Avoiding creating antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria in your body is a good thing.