Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hey guys.

Ive decided to do alittle testing with popping whiteheads. Since theres so many different suggestions about how to pop, when to pop, to pop or not to pop etc. i decided to test it out myself. This will be a daily journal to test the effects that poping has on my zits.

-Two days ago, i noticed a small light red bump under my skin and new what was coming. The dreaded massive whitehead that comes up from under you skin along with a large red bump underneath it that hurts like hell.

***Im on the Proactiv system, and have been for almost 2 months. The system uses 3 steps. step 1. a cleanser/scrub with 2.5% BP and soothing ingredients (aloe etc), step 2. an alchol free toner with soothing ingredients. Step 3. a 2.5% BP lotion that is left on the skin all day after the toner. I also use a 6% Sulfur refining mask that comes free with the kit, and i leave the mak on for 15-20 minutes 3 times a week. I also spot treat with it, by leaving it on over night on blemishes***

Anyways, so i did the Proactiv routine when i noticed that little bump on my chin, and at night left a spot of the refining mask on it over night. At the same time i noticed another whitehead popping up...but it was smaller and didnt have the painful large red bump coming with it. So i used the spot of refining mask on that too over night.

I woke up and it looked like the 2 pimples have slowed down in growth, but were still growing none the less. So i did the proactiv routine and at night used the spot treatment.

I knew that they would be huge in the morning.

I woke up today, and to no surprise i had a big whitehead with the painful red bump underneath it. The actual whitehead (the little dome of puss) was about 3mm wide...so it was definitly noticebale. And the other whitehead without the painful bump was only around 1.5mm wide. (there both on my chin about 2cm under my bottom lip)

I couldnt resist. The bigger one with the painful red bump looked horrible...a massive red bump with a huge sphere of white puss on top! I had to pop it.

Unlike previous popping expereinces with my fingernails i took the advice of Dan and played it safe. I took a needle out of my moms sowing case, and held it under a lighter for a few seconds. The tip of the needle turned black...im not sure if thats good or not, but atleast it was sterile.

I pricked the top of the white dome gently, then rapped both fingers with tissue. i gently eased out the puss, but the white-dome was still pretty big. So i applied to more pressure, and then i heard that popping noise and all the puss came out.

Then it started to bleed so i put a little tissue over it. Then i did the Proactiv 3 step system (BP cleanser, toner, BP lotion) and left for my summer job.

Its been about 2 and a half hours now and i applied Clean & Clear's Oil Free Dual Action Moisturinzer with 05% Salicylic acid, like i do a couple hours after the proactiv system in the mornings.

The poped white head has no more white in it, and is now a slightly less red bump, with a smaller red scabe sort of thing"...in my opinion it looks much better with a smaller red dot then a bigger puss ball.

The other whitehead, on my chin which had no painful bump is still there.

So no ill wait and see what: heals faster, looks better once healed, is more noticeable, and was worth it in the long run.

Ill update daily...cause if your on this site, u've popped a pimple atleast once.

-alex

Unlike previous popping expereinces with my fingernails i took the advice of Dan and played it safe. I took a needle out of my moms sowing case, and held it under a lighter for a few seconds. The tip of the needle turned black...im not sure if thats good or not, but atleast it was sterile.

Yes, holding the needle under a lighter will turn it black. You should wipe off the black soot with a tissue or cotton ball soaked with rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide before you use it to prick your pimple. I once didn't do this (wipe off the soot first), and some of the black got left behind under the skin when I pulled the needle out. Looked like the biggets, ugliest blackhead ever!

It didn't stay forever, of course, and eventually disappeared after the dried up skin/small scab flaked off a few days later, but it's still a look you can prevent in the first place by wiping off the needle first (preferably with something disinfecting).

from my experience when you pop a pimple there are 4 things that can come out of it.

most common of course, is the white liquid pimple juice ew stuff.

second is of course blood.

3rd is pus

and lastly what i've noticed is there is almost ALWAYS a solid piece of thing in there like a piece of white thing. i have found that if you get that out, the pimple goes away for sure, and quickly too i might add. if not then it will probably come back. i refer to it as the pimple root.

i THINK it is the stuff where all the dirt and dust flies into your pores, mixes with oils and becomes that hard thing and i think that's the source of pimples.

Update #2.

Its been about 24 hours since my last update, and the time when i first popped that massive whitehead.

***In that 24 hours i used the Proactiv system every morning and night***

The whitehead that i didnt pop, which was also much smaller and had no painful red bump with it dried up, and the next morning i kind of picked it off. There was a speck of blood and some hyperpigmentation but thats it, and the hyperpigmentation, which looks like a small darker pach of skin should disapear in a few weeks.

The bigger zit which i did pop using a needle and my fingers is now just a scab, with absolutly no pain or any red bump, its perfectly flat, and within a few days the red scab should dry up and flake off.

So i guess there will be no scar what so ever, unless i pick at the scab. Also the continued use of Proactiv should helpmake it disapear faster.

**************I guess the final conclusion is, that it is better to leave you zit alone and let it heal and dry by its self. However we have all had those massive white puss-balls right before work, or school, or a dance or a date or whatever that look just disgusting, and need to be popped.

***SO if you pop the zit safely using a needle, held under a flame for about 5 seconds, very little presure when pushing out the puss, rapping both fingers in tissue when pushing it out, and then your cleanser, toner and plenty of BP afterwards, your popped zit should heal in no time...with no scars or red marks left behind.

-hope this helped for all you poppers out there

-Alex