Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timwatt

Does BP whiten skin?

Hi,

I've been using Dan's BP gel for the past two years, and it's done wonders in controlling my acne. However, my parents recently commented that my skin's become "as white as a ghost" and blame it on my use of benzoyl peroxide. Ever since, I'm also starting to notice that my skin may have lightened a bit.

Does BP affect skin color? Technically, BP is a bleach. If it can stain hair and fabric, why shouldn't it do the same to your skin?

Thanks,

Tim

Hi,

I've been using Dan's BP gel for the past two years, and it's done wonders in controlling my acne. However, my parents recently commented that my skin's become "as white as a ghost" and blame it on my use of benzoyl peroxide. Ever since, I'm also starting to notice that my skin may have lightened a bit.

Does BP affect skin color? Technically, BP is a bleach. If it can stain hair and fabric, why shouldn't it do the same to your skin?

Thanks,

Tim

Are you using any moisturizer ? - maybe one with SPF or UV/UVA filter ?

Yes, I use an SPF 30 every day. I always thought that my fair complexion is the result of meticulous sunscreen use, and my skin just reverted back to its natural color. But my entire family is blowing this issue out of proportion and insisting that I stop using BP. This has made me very paranoid, as my aunt (who's an MD) is also telling me to stop with the BP as it affects melanin production.

I'd rather go through BP's side effects than suffer with acne.

Yes, I use an SPF 30 every day. I always thought that my fair complexion is the result of meticulous sunscreen use, and my skin just reverted back to its natural color. But my entire family is blowing this issue out of proportion and insisting that I stop using BP. This has made me very paranoid, as my aunt (who's an MD) is also telling me to stop with the BP as it affects melanin production.

I really belive that it is the SPF30 thats the cause - maybe find another with a lower SPF ?

And: Just ignore your family and tell then to fuc* off! people like that dont know what acne feels like, sorry about the hard word but I think you should do what you feel right!

It is probably the high spf moisturizer that you are using that is making you look whiter than normal. I've never heard of bleach working on skin. I know somebody who had a really bad time with hair bleach once, and their skin didn't get any lighter, they got burns along their hairline though from the bleach.

Heck, if BP bleached skin, people who hated their freckles would be promoting it now :P

Hey there,

My family also has made comments on my "whiteness." Now, I am ethnically Greek , and I was slightly tanner than other caucasians. Pre acne I was the same darkness as my brothers, but now they out tan me and naturally darker.. I used to use Purpose lotion with spf 15 and some say that might of caused it, but I am not sure..

I think some lotions leave a white residue on your face which can make you look more white. Purpose is probably one of those.

The only reason my skin looks lighter now than it used to is because I'm not spending a lot of time outside in the sun without sunscreen on. Now that I'm on the regimen, I use an SPF 15 moisturizer and am only outside in the day when walking to/from work and the gym. I will admit that the BP has bleached the hair framing my face now, though, so I have some great blonde highlights going on.

Guest papillon
Hi,

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim.

I think BP does affect skin colour. I had been using BP for 2 weeks, when one day, I went to see my doctor for an annual check-up. Do you know what my doctor said to me when he saw me that day?

He said, "Your face is white. Let's check your blood and see if you have anaemia." :wacko:

I didn't have any moisturizer or BP on my face when I saw my doctor. LOL Luckily, I don't have anaemia. Now, my face is a wee bit lighter than my natural skin colour, but I now have red marks that I'm trying to get rid of.

wow, you're so lucky to have a lightening -- i have the opposite problem, a darkening/tanning problem (i have a thread about it here, and am seeing that more and more people have this problem). i know you probably hate the lightening, but i'm jealous! :(

what you said about your aunt really intrigued me -- BP affects melanin production? do you have any more info on this? i'd appreciate any info so much... the tanning problem is causing me a great deal of upset (as i'm sure your lightening problem is for you), and is the only thing making me question the regimen. :wall:

wow, you're so lucky to have a lightening -- i have the opposite problem, a darkening/tanning problem (i have a thread about it here, and am seeing that more and more people have this problem). i know you probably hate the lightening, but i'm jealous! :(

what you said about your aunt really intrigued me -- BP affects melanin production? do you have any more info on this? i'd appreciate any info so much... the tanning problem is causing me a great deal of upset (as i'm sure your lightening problem is for you), and is the only thing making me question the regimen. :wall:

Why do you want to lighten your skin?

I agree that it is very likely due to the sunscreen keeping your facial skin light.

I've used bp practically forever, and if bp bleached, I should look ghostly by now! But, thakfully, I don't.

If it really bothers you, try a fake tanner made especially for your face, like Jergens Natural glow FACE. I know there are others but they seem to elude me right now.

Taylor2001,

I was just looking at your signature, and I noticed in your routine you are putting on benzoyl peroxide and hydroquinone together.

That will actually CREATE darker spots on your skin. Never use the two together!!!!

Weell BP does lighten the skin. Especially after the summers when I'm tanned. I think the BP cause the skin to flake and thats why. Just like when you get a red sunburn, you start to flake and you get white where uts flaking...

/Hultkrantz

I've always been pale but I think my skin has gotten lighter after using BP. Though whether it's due to the BP or me avoiding the sun a lot more these days I'm not sure.

Are tanning lotions safe though to use on acne prone skin? Cause I'd rather be pale than break out. Even though being so pale makes all the red/brown marks stand out a lot more even if the marks were light to start off with...