Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Adam122234

Advice from experianced derm visitors...

Well it's my first time going, since my acne is more or less mild. Pimple wise i hardly have any, but it takes TONS of up keep to maintain the acceptable look. Besides being swarmed with always having to use BP among other things i can't handle it...i'm starting to get a little red, and then i lay off the BP and then the little bastards come back...i got the situation under control, but when i'm gone in the day for long periods of time and i can't manage BP, my face sorta slips...so to lessen my use of BP and actually have a life without worrying about what my face will turn into , i've decided to finally bug my mom to death and take me to a derm.

Now to put myself in a nut shell i without a doubt need BP, without it = bad news. Using it all the time doesn't give me the crystal clear skin because you can see a little redness etc....and i also wanna drop down to using BP once a day, school and a job occupy the rest of the day and i can't manage BP usage at either places.

What should i ask my derm for? I seriously don't wanna play lab rat because my face isn't bad, so it doesn't make sense for me to get worse when my face is close to clear. I would like some kind of Oral pill for obvious reasons, i can take it anywhere and it'll help...i'd also like to request a good topical if any are better than BP, thing is i don't know if any prescription topicals are better than BP or not.

So what would you suggest i get? Oral pill wise and topical wise...i know my derm will tell me, but i should atleast ask her if she can give me something...i'm just wondering what the public thinks of certain pills/topicals ...i read some of the feedback on the prescription pills, but it didn't quiet answer any questions for me..

I don't need Accutane, but i need something that works really good. thanks if you can give me any insight.

As much as I think a retinoid would help you trememdously, you might not like it initally. Something like Differin, would be great, but it will take about 6 weeks to see results, and you may initllay get worse. You can use BP to control any initial breakout you might get (I never got any worse than currently was....only better), but you neeed to apply one at night and one in the morning........and it may make you red initially (only for a few days).....after 6-12 weeks you can give up the BP and let the retinoid do it's thing......

If yiu don't like that idea, you could try an oral antiboitic, but I'm not a fan, especially for mild acne. Plus they can cause health problems, and only work until the bacteria becomes resistant......and they are usually not used without some form of topical in conjunction....

You could try a vitamin pill called Nicomide. It works for some people. It's nicotinamide, copper, zinc, and folic acid.....the nurse at my derm's office has mild acne and says it reduced it to non-existant......it didnt work for me and made me sick to my stomach and gave me a headache, but most people don't have side effects.......

Well it's my first time going, since my acne is more or less mild. Pimple wise i hardly have any, but it takes TONS of up keep to maintain the acceptable look. Besides being swarmed with always having to use BP among other things i can't handle it...i'm starting to get a little red, and then i lay off the BP and then the little bastards come back...i got the situation under control, but when i'm gone in the day for long periods of time and i can't manage BP, my face sorta slips...so to lessen my use of BP and actually have a life without worrying about what my face will turn into , i've decided to finally bug my mom to death and take me to a derm.

Now to put myself in a nut shell i without a doubt need BP, without it = bad news. Using it all the time doesn't give me the crystal clear skin because you can see a little redness etc....and i also wanna drop down to using BP once a day, school and a job occupy the rest of the day and i can't manage BP usage at either places.

What should i ask my derm for? I seriously don't wanna play lab rat because my face isn't bad, so it doesn't make sense for me to get worse when my face is close to clear. I would like some kind of Oral pill for obvious reasons, i can take it anywhere and it'll help...i'd also like to request a good topical if any are better than BP, thing is i don't know if any prescription topicals are better than BP or not.

So what would you suggest i get? Oral pill wise and topical wise...i know my derm will tell me, but i should atleast ask her if she can give me something...i'm just wondering what the public thinks of certain pills/topicals ...i read some of the feedback on the prescription pills, but it didn't quiet answer any questions for me..

I don't need Accutane, but i need something that works really good. thanks if you can give me any insight.

The derm will probably give you an oral antibiotic, I have had the best luck with cephalexin. and a topical like retin A or some other retinoid to use at night. my derm started me off with topicals and antibiotics. the antibiotics will help prevent an initial breakout from the topical. It is important to be patient and consistent with your medicine everyday. s/he may also prescribe another topical such as clyndamycin or Klaron.

I would definitely ask my derm for a retinoid (like retin A or differin) and an antibiotic; I like cephalexin but, they usually start off with a tetracycline.