Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dubai_dudes

Sever Acne SCAR Case - PICS INCLUDED

Hi everyone...

i wish i had found this forum earlier!..i have a sever case of acne scarring and i cannot even determine what type of scars are the (ice pick, rolling etc)...can someone identify and recommend me the type of treatment i should seek?...

post-44388-1154076452_thumb.jpg

post-44388-1154076468_thumb.jpg

post-44388-1154076479_thumb.jpg

post-44388-1154076490_thumb.jpg

post-44388-1154076452_thumb.jpg

post-44388-1154076468_thumb.jpg

post-44388-1154076479_thumb.jpg

post-44388-1154076490_thumb.jpg

I'm no expert but your scars are similar to mine and it looks like you have the rolling scars which dominate my face but also some icepick scars...I haven't had any treatments but hope to have Isolagen like Rupert...look at his pics, he's a good guy and will tell you good info from experience! Good luck!

your scars are pretty deep and are spread out so... i think you should try subcision first to level those suckers then look/invest in fraxel. if i were you, i wouldn't waste money on fraxel now because it won't do much. subcision will overall get your face leveled "kind of".. i say kind of because... seriously now.. once you have a scar, it is there forever but such methods like subcision can help improve them. best of luck and if you do decide to get subcision keep us posted. i want to see your progress because it looks like subcision will help you out a LOT.

by the way.. you need a skilled derm/doctor/PS to do it otherwise you will get more scars.

thanks guys!...i will see a derm in 2 weeks and maintain a DETAILED journal here so everyone can benefit... I will try to put in as many pics as possible...in 2 weeks I plan to start...

jillin and sadsadsad...thanks for your reply!...

I agree with the subcision idea. Best to tackle work on the deeper levels then later something like fraxel or isolagen when the scars are shallower. Looks like you will need a few sessions of sub, done over time, so patience is the key.

I was so glad when i found the forum too :D So welcome.

Bestttt of luck with your derm (find a good one!! If you cant find one locally and can travel then travel to a good one. Techique is so important here so dont let anyone near your face that u dont have complete faith in. As Sadsadsad has said, if you give your location, im sure someone here could recommend a good one to go see).

Thanks in advance for wishing to create a detailed journal. I look forward to seeing your improvements over time.

Good Luck!

Hi everyone...

i wish i had found this forum earlier!..i have a sever case of acne scarring and i cannot even determine what type of scars are the (ice pick, rolling etc)...can someone identify and recommend me the type of treatment i should seek?...

My condition is 80-90% of yours.

Dubai,

Welcome to this board and I hope you find valuable and useful information to help you make appropriate decisions in this battle. It was very wise of you to post some pics. It's the only way you may get faster and more accurate responses.

The first thing you have to remember is that (so far) nothing is going to erase your scars 100%. We are limited to talk about improvement. Even a 10% improvement may mean a lot for some people. Also, improvement is gradual. Nothing happens overnight. So don't look for a "Quick Fix" otherwise it may worsen your situation. Another thing, it seems that you have brown skin, (indian, pakistani? ) and UNFORTUNATELY, Most treatments available today DO DISCRIMINATE skins on the brown side. For instance, dermabrassion performed by an experienced doctor has helped some people with scars like you. However, you are not a perfect candidate since your skin may end up with white patches (discoloartion) Same thing happens with most lasers and strong chemical peels. Now, there are hundreds of less invasive procedures such as microdermabrassion, jenser,glycolic ,and Aha's, peels, etc which do absolutely nothing for scars. So don't fall into that trap. They may help improve your skin tone, but they do shit for scars!

I don't want mean to put you down. I just want you to see the whole picture and I want to prevent you from being a rip-off victim. Trust me, there are some doctors out there that just want to take as much money as they can from you. They don't give a Fu**k about our suffering. They take advantage of that and they see us as "big cash cows"

As somebody has already mentioned on here, there are some good treatments that may help diminish your scars. Excision for example ( Thanks Tricia, you know what I meant, so had to edit it) It's a treatment in which you trade your large,deep and old scars for small ones. SUBISCION is another excellent option for you. It's a good start and these procedures are not that expensive. (Maybe that's why some doctors never suggest them. They just push you and rush you into EXPENSIVE procedures.)

Remember, It's easy to mess it up so do your homework before jumpin' into something. I'm sure you'll find important info on here. The good thing about this site is that it's scam free. Once every blue moon there are some marketers that want to advertise their products, but they get reported and kicked out.

Actually subcision doesn't leave scars, I think smoothlover means excision. I would try subcision or you might want to read up on the saline injections for the rolling scars, that is like a subcision without the downtime. You just have to give them more time. You could also do a search on needling. These things are cheap and won't make you worse so you should start with them!

Dubai,

Welcome to this board and I hope you find valuable and useful information to help you make appropriate decisions in this battle. It was very wise of you to post some pics. It's the only way you may get faster and more accurate responses.

The first thing you have to remember is that (so far) nothing is going to erase your scars 100%. We are limited to talk about improvement. Even a 10% improvement may mean a lot for some people. Also, improvement is gradual. Nothing happens overnight. So don't look for a "Quick Fix" otherwise it may worsen your situation. Another thing, it seems that you have brown skin, (indian, pakistani? ) and UNFORTUNATELY, Most treatments available today DO DISCRIMINATE skins on the brown side. For instance, dermabrassion performed by an experienced doctor has helped some people with scars like you. However, you are not a perfect candidate since your skin may end up with white patches (discoloartion) Same thing happens with most lasers and strong chemical peels. Now, there are hundreds of less invasive procedures such as microdermabrassion, jenser,glycolic ,and Aha's, peels, etc which do absolutely nothing for scars. So don't fall into that trap. They may help improve your skin tone, but they do shit for scars!

I don't want mean to put you down. I just want you to see the whole picture and I want to prevent you from being a rip-off victim. Trust me, there are some doctors out there that just want to take as much money as they can from you. They don't give a Fu**k about our suffering. They take advantage of that and they see us as "big cash cows"

As somebody has already mentioned on here, there are some good treatments that may help diminish your scars. Excision for example ( Thanks Tricia, you know what I meant, so had to edit it) It's a treatment in which you trade your large,deep and old scars for small ones. SUBISCION is another excellent option for you. It's a good start and these procedures are not that expensive. (Maybe that's why some doctors never suggest them. They just push you and rush you into EXPENSIVE procedures.)

Remember, It's easy to mess it up so do your homework before jumpin' into something. I'm sure you'll find important info on here. The good thing about this site is that it's scam free. Once every blue moon there are some marketers that want to advertise their products, but they get reported and kicked out.

thanks for your reply smoothlover...AND EVERYONE ELSE...

i am indian so thanks for pointing out that not all treatments are good for me...i will talk to a derm and inform you all of the procedures/treatments he/she suggests beforeletting them continue with the treatment...meanwhile, if someone knows a good derm around chicago-wisconsin area, please let me know!...i wud love to go to a derm who u all recommend :)

thanks once again everyone...

btw, smoothlover- you are not being mean or putting me down- u r just informing of a fact that will help me make better decision insted of suffering and regretting my decision!

so- any recommended derms around northern suburbs of IL or in downtown chicago? lemme know!

tricia i've done saline injections and for dubai's case i am sure subcision will be better for him. on the subcision leaving scar part, well smoothlover wasn't wrong because there have been people who've gotten hypertrophic scars from subcision. so..... like my post before, find a skilled derm/dr/PS to do subcision because if he/she goes a mm too deep you will get a hypertrophic scar... cameron got one, you can talk to him.

I'll bet the first thing they would start with on you is excisions. You would probably have quite a few done like I had, and then subcisions, followed by dermabrasion. You would DEFINITELY need to have a deep dermabrasion, likw w/a wire brush, like I am getting. I know it's a risk, so be sure and discuss with your derm. Your scars are like the one's I had excised yesterday. Excisions are really not that painful at all!! I felt fine when I woke up this morning, however, u need to train yourself to sleep on your back according to my derm!! I am positive he/she is going to recommend this to you somewhere on your face. This is what they usually start with. My mom had her scars treated and they started with excisions. Her and I have the rolling type, which is what it looks like u have.

Hi everyone...

About picking a dermatologist, my personal experience has been that the ones who are attatched to a university are the most up-to-date and willing to respond to questions. There are exceptions, of course, but it's something to consider. I don't mean docs who have just taught a single course or seminar at a university, but the ones who hold standing positions. It's a little awkward, though, when they bring in a troupe of medical students with them to your consult. Be willing to loose the consult fee a few times while you're looking for the right doctor.

Hi dubai dudes -

It looks like you have mostly rolling scars. I have had them also. In my opinion, the best first step for you would be subscisions. That will release the bound down tissue under the scars and the tissue will be able to reform underneath the skin to begin rebuilding at a higher level. Once the tissue is freed, it will also improve the results from fillers, if you want to follow with fillers.

Two subscision experts that I know of are Dr. Rappaport in New Jersey and Dr. Rick K. Wilson in Plano, Texas (north of Dallas). There is also Dr. Turner in Colorado that does subscisions but I don't know a whole lot about him but I know that he has been doing them for a while.

Since you have a darker skin tone (I do too), I would NOT consider laser and would be VERY, VERY careful in ever considering dermabrasion. Just check with my friend Sword and a few others on that issue and you will find that there have been mixed results with darker and asian skin tones.

However, your scars look like they are mostly rolling scars so an ablative surface treatment may not be needed at all. After you have the subscisions done (It may require several sessions to get to the level of improvement that you want) you may want to consider a semi-permanent or permanent filler for whatever remains. Some people have had good results with micro injections of medical grade silicone and other permanent treatments by highly experienced doctors. If you go this route, make sure that you research the dr. and make sure that he has been doing injections for a long time and is knowledgable on all of the filler options available including permanent and non-permanent. You may want to go first with non-permanent to get some idea of the possible results.

Dan

Hey Dan,

I am getting subcisions next on my left cheek followed by three sessions of silicone micrografting. The derm felt it best to start with excisions on my temples. Never perceived that happening!!

hello there...one option that i've tried, and was pleased with, with the Medical Roll-CIT, which is a safe option for people with darker skin....i have lots of ice pick scars from electrolysis, and this soften their appearance a great deal, though my skin will never be perfect....it's probably an even better option for your skin...i had mine done with John Q. Cook in Chicago, wonderful guy, very progressive, yet conservative, very leary of dermabrasion and lasers...it may take you 2-4 roll-CITS, which are done in the OR, and are about $3K a piece, but you won't have pigmenation problems, and this is a very effective treatmet for buildign the collegan back up in your skin...i've also heard about wire subscision which is suppoesed to be more effective than regular subcision...

Envron.com is the site for medical Roll-CIT, and if you go to their rep site, they can tell you other docs around the country that are doing this procedure...They're doing it at UCLA, Dr. Normal Pastorek does it in NY, there's a guy in Atlanta and about 15 others...

this is a safe, low tech procedure...not a flashy procedure like laser, but you'll have only abuot 5 days down time and it totally works (as in visible improvement)...improvements occur over about 9-12 months....like everyone says, collagen improvement takes months and months to see, very slow...there are a lot of people on this site that get something done, and then when it's not visible in 2-4 weeks they say it doesn't work...collagen just doesn't generate in that short of a period of time.....

the laser companies pretty much influence what most doctors do, and they do a lot more marketing than