Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cheechchong_pt2

I need to get off accutane and take doxy for a while

I may have possible Lyme Disease (a bacterial infection) from a tick bite and I already took a blood test today waiting for my results. I'm supposed to take 100mg 2x a day doxycycline for 10 days. My derm said if I test positive I have to take doxy but it's best I take the medicine anyway since the blood test is not a 100%. I should get off the tane for those 10 days and then resume but I have 2 questions...

1. Is it safe to get off tane and start doxy tomorrow since taking those 2 together are known to increase chances of brain pressure and then resume tane right away after finishing doxy? Even though I'm not taking those 2 medications together, but I'm not taking a break.

2. Getting of tane for 10 days, will it have any effect on me like treatment stops working, less effective then etc.?

First off, can't they give you another type of antibiotic that doesn't interact with isotretinoin? Surely -cyclins are not the only choice. Second, being off your dose for ten days won't doom your course, but i'd rather not stop if i didn't have to.

Regarding the brain swelling - i'm not sure how long you would have to discontinue isotretinoin before it would be safe to take a -cyclin.

First off, can't they give you another type of antibiotic that doesn't interact with isotretinoin? Surely -cyclins are not the only choice. Second, being off your dose for ten days won't doom your course, but i'd rather not stop if i didn't have to.

Regarding the brain swelling - i'm not sure how long you would have to discontinue isotretinoin before it would be safe to take a -cyclin.

When I was a little kid I had chronic lymes, before they even knew what lyme's was. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, and thought to have lupus. I had it for about 8-10 years before it was correctly diagnosed. It had went into late stage lymes and was affecting my brain and spinal cord. I was hospitalized with acute bacterial menengits, only to discover that it was lymes all along........they gave me doxy....and had an almost fatal reaction to it (Steven's Johnson's)...so needless to say I can't take dioxy...or any other cyclen....

Then they tried Amoxicillin, which didn't work, since the lymes was resistant to (drug of choice for all childhood infections, since I also have a sulfa allergy). I think they gave me a cephalsporin (something like Keflex) for 28 days through an IV........it worked....

The second time I was infected (got bit again) I took cipro....which worked too (I'm also allergic to that one too now)......

There are ways of treating Lymes without dioxy........

Wait until the tests come back to be sure you have it. If negaitve, you can wait a few months...and get retested. The second time I was infected I waited 6 months before gettin tested and treating it, since I had no insurance. I did get the rash, but the joint pain took months to develop.......when it became unbarable and I started to run fevers I got the test and the cipro.......

I'd be concerend about not treating it on Accutane, since your immune system may be weakened slightly.....

Erythromycin and other macrolides can be used in people who have allergies to penicillins and tetracyclines....these are okay to take on Accutane........

Ask your doctor to prescribe an antiboitic that has a lower risk of complications..........you don't need antiboitics right after a tick bite.........you can wait t see if a rash develops, or even have the tick itself tested (they do this if you save the tick).......

Thanks for you help LabGirl. Well here's what it was on independence day I noticed a blood shot red dot on my leg, the size of a penny and in the middle was the tick which I removed but it was bloody when I do so which is a bad sign, meaning it was in there for a while already. I had fatigue after that, and some mild headaches and chills and that's it but not huge rash (I know what ya talkin about).

I know you told me to get tested a few months later, but I'm worried I may suddenly explode in the second stage of the disease which can be really shitty!

And btw, you were infected twice?? Man I feel bad for you. My derm did ease my mind by telling me there is only like a 3% chance a tick carries the germs, so what happened to you is really rare.

Thanks for you help LabGirl. Well here's what it was on independence day I noticed a blood shot red dot on my leg, the size of a penny and in the middle was the tick which I removed but it was bloody when I do so which is a bad sign, meaning it was in there for a while already. I had fatigue after that, and some mild headaches and chills and that's it but not huge rash (I know what ya talkin about).

I know you told me to get tested a few months later, but I'm worried I may suddenly explode in the second stage of the disease which can be really shitty!

And btw, you were infected twice?? Man I feel bad for you. My derm did ease my mind by telling me there is only like a 3% chance a tick carries the germs, so what happened to you is really rare.

It's not rare considering where I lived at the time. There was a huge outbreak in the mid-eighties in New Jersey. I was probably infected in the early 80's, but wasnt diagnosed until 1991. The second time I got bit while riding my quad (I lived in a heavly wooded area) and was lucky enough to be infected a second time......I'm not the only person I know who's been infected more then once.......

I'd ask for a different antiboitc just to be safe......you don't need dioxy.....there are other options....