Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bugmenot

24 and finally getting Accutane

So, in update to my thread here:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=106909

My derm agreed to put me on Accutane. He's going on vacation for 2 weeks, and by law I have to pick up and read the damn I-Pledge booklet before he gives me the green light to go ahead with treatment. I hope to be on it by September.. we'll see if this happens.

If anyone of you were in the same boat as me (years of antibiotics only to have them stop working), just do what I did. Go back to your derm (provided he prescribes Accutane) and complain about every drug he gives you after using it for a week or 2. Then remind him that you're no longer a teenager and AREN'T GROWING OUT OF IT.

For all you girls on Accutane, how long did it take you to initially get it? What's involved with I-Pledge? I know it's some dumb survey I need to take, pregnancy tests, and a lot of paperwork, but I was wondering if anyone has a bulletpoint list of the steps to getting your damn prescription.

I haven't even dealt with the I-Pledge program yet and already I'm feeling hostile. I'm not a frickin kid; I'm going to be 25. I know I shouldn't drink or get pregnant while on it. I know that not using birth control can get someone pregnant.. this is honestly ridiculous and insulting.

....Guess that's why I want to go to law school. Why aren't people fighting this?

Read about I-Pledge's possible illegality here: http://www.skinandaging.com/SA/displayArti...eID=article5509

Thanks everyone!

Why aren't people fighting this?

Well, because this program is the stated "last chance" for Accutane. If you legally fight iPLEDGE, have it declared illegal due to it's invasion of privacy and whatnot, the FDA is likely to simply pull isotretinoin from the market completely. They've already said that's what they'll do if iPLEDGE doesn't ELIMINATE exposed pregnancies. An abmirable, but impossible goal.

Why aren't people fighting this?

Well, because this program is the stated "last chance" for Accutane. If you legally fight iPLEDGE, have it declared illegal due to it's invasion of privacy and whatnot, the FDA is likely to simply pull isotretinoin from the market completely. They've already said that's what they'll do if iPLEDGE doesn't ELIMINATE exposed pregnancies. An abmirable, but impossible goal.

Welcome to the US of A where we'll pull a near miracle drug off of the shelves rather than deal with a few idiots who need abortions. Honestly, there are SO many prescriptions that cause serious birth defects. It's because Accutane is usually prescribed for irresponsible teenagers and young adults that there is even a problem.

Yep, that's pretty much it. But not all of the women who get pregnant are irresponsible teens - grown women who know better manage it too. It's just part of human nature to beleive that it can't happen to you.

Yep, that's pretty much it. But not all of the women who get pregnant are irresponsible teens - grown women who know better manage it too. It's just part of human nature to beleive that it can't happen to you.

I suppose so.

Oh well, the iPledge runaround is a small price to pay to get clear skin.

(haha, iPledge.. it sounds like an Apple product)

Why in f-ck is Accutane treated worse than Oxycotin?

And no, iPLEDGE is not a small price to pay. It's a huge f-ing deal, consumes so much time, and there are always, always, always computer glitches in the iPLEDGE system, along with those in the doctor's and pharmacist's offices.

Why in f-ck is Accutane treated worse than Oxycotin?

And no, iPLEDGE is not a small price to pay. It's a huge f-ing deal, consumes so much time, and there are always, always, always computer glitches in the iPLEDGE system, along with those in the doctor's and pharmacist's offices.

do you say this from personal experiences? if so, what happened to you?

my derm is on vacation for 2 weeks, so i'm not even going to start the ipledge system until he gets back. then i have to wait a month while they dick around with ridiculous pregnancy tests, so i don't expect to get it until mid September. this leaves me with a month+ with no antiobiotics (they were all making me sick). my skin is pretty clear right now from the 4 weeks on antibiotics, but i know it's not going to stay that way for much longer :(

and I-Pledge can seriously go to hell as far as knowing my birth control methods. I'll tell my derm that I'm saving myself for marriage, as I-Pledge seems to feel that the only acceptable form of abstinence is for religious reasons. yes, and i'll be sure to wear a gold cross that day.

i talked to my mother yesterday and told her about my derm visits etc, and she was SHOCKED by I-Pledge and thought it was not only a serious invasion of privacy, but more proof that our country is going to hell in a racecar. my mother is nearly 60, and she has survived a lot of medical problems (cancer scare, the effects of malpractice, and fibromyalgia). she's been on some very, very serious medications, and NONE of them were treated like Accutane.

As far as antibiotics that don't make people nauseas....have you tried Minocycline? I've been taking it for about 10 months and have had absolutely no problems. It's nothing like Doxy (which I suffered through for about a year). I know many people think Accutane is the only answer, but for me, I've finally found a combo that works:

Retin-A, Mino, Spiro, Apri birth control pills.

Good luck!