Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
STURZ10

the Afterlife of Accutane!!!

Please answer me, Why do people get acne back after Accutane? My derm said that even if my acne came back, it would respond 100x better than before, thus leaving me clear! Do people just not use anythuing or what is the deal?

Please answer me, Why do people get acne back after Accutane? My derm said that even if my acne came back, it would respond 100x better than before, thus leaving me clear! Do people just not use anythuing or what is the deal?

It's called PERSISTENT acne.. the most persistent. This kind of acne can never be CURED (Dan is proof), but it can be usually be kept under control after Accutane. A second course of Accutane really helps.

Accutane isnt a 'cure'. It hopefully sends the acne into prolonged remission, enough so that the oil levels of the skin balance with age. If it comes back, its not normally as bad. The drug is thought to act by 'ageing' the sebum glands of the skin, it comes back because this effect is reversible. Im on my second course, and all is going swimmingly.

That's not true that acne is persistent if it comes back! Accutane can cure the most severe cystic persistent acne and while there is people with mild or moderate acne and they are on 3 courses! It's a individual thing. What the drug does is shuts off your sebum preduction during the course and when sebum starts producing again it does normally, but for some people it gets out of control again and acne comes back.

Hell my uncle when he was a teen (he's 31 now) he had HORRIBLE acne, he took accutane and till this day you can't even tell he had acne it's been 13 years now since he took it and he remembers it didn't start working till like his 5 month too!

Me personally...my skin is oilier than hell, coupled with pre-menstral flare ups and persistant stress, and it's a recipe for disaster. My acne was greatly improved after my zillion accutane courses, however, the mixture of stress + hormones is something I have yet to control...

Oily skin doesn't mean acne! It just aggravates it if you already have acne. My father is 62 and has awfully oily skin on his face, and body and no acne only had it when he was a teen.

i'm about a week off accutane and i'm breaking out again. am i still purging or what. i heard it still works after you've stopped or am i just having outbreaks again.