Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alex 01

Hot, cold or lukewarm???

hey guys,

i was wondering what water temperature is best for washing your skin. Im on Proactiv, so the only time i really use water on my skin is to wash of the cleanser in step 1, and the occasional Clay Refining Mask. Is it best to use really hot, lukewarm, cool, or ice cold water when washing...or does it even make a difference.

Im a guy, so i kno when shaving, its best to use hot water before you shave to open up your pores but thats it.

thanks in advance.

p.s. does anyone know of a great over the counter spot treatment (BP, Salicilyc acid, etc) perferably by a name brand thats easy to find in stores such as Biore, Clean&Clear, Oxy, Neutrogena, Clearisil etc?

I figured using lukewarm to warm is always good as it opens the pores. Especially if you are about to apply something afterwards as it means the skin is more receptive.

I use warm water mixed with a noncondemogenic and hypoallergenic (sp?) soap bar (can't remember the name but its good) because I figure the cleansing bar will do more good if my pores are open.

However, I may be completely wrong :D

Luke warm because if its too hot it can just irritate your skin even more, i splash cold water afterwards to close the pores.

I use boiling water.

I hope you let it cool down so that you don't flay off your skin!

I think the lukewarm followed by cold to close the pores is what my derm told me years ago. I don't know if it helped or not. I've just always done that since then.

When I use really hot water to open a large spot I apply antibiotic or other med and follow with cold water on rest of face.

i splash cold water afterwards to close the pores.

Does this really work?

It supposedly does, and even if it doesn't it still feels refreshing! what harm could water do anyway.

i splash cold water afterwards to close the pores.

Does this really work?

Not really, Pores do not open or close.

Does this really work?

Not really, Pores do not open or close.

Well, not open or close in the way a door or a window does... but they do enlarge ever so slightly when exposed to heat and contract when exposed to cold. Incidentally, many parts of our bodies do the same thing (except this is microscopic whereas some of the other... "effects"... are macroscopic--I'll not explain, use your imagination).