Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

acne can't become resistant to antibiotic

"One of the great advantages of Minocycline is the inability of bacteria to become resistant. Thus, although it was originally developed with Weil's Disease and Syphillus in mind, it came to be very popular with dermatologists, as a treatment for teenage acne. Even other antibiotics in the Tetracycline "family" have fallen victim to the problem of resistance."

i was just reading up on minocycline (cause i started taking it a couple weeks ago) and i found this in wikipedia. is this true? can your acne not become resistant to minocycline?

"One of the great advantages of Minocycline is the inability of bacteria to become resistant. Thus, although it was originally developed with Weil's Disease and Syphillus in mind, it came to be very popular with dermatologists, as a treatment for teenage acne. Even other antibiotics in the Tetracycline "family" have fallen victim to the problem of resistance."

i was just reading up on minocycline (cause i started taking it a couple weeks ago) and i found this in wikipedia. is this true? can your acne not become resistant to minocycline?

I think that's BS. All bacteria can eventually become resistant to an antibiotic. Don't take Wikipedia as a source for THE AUTHORITY for info. They're often wrong. It's just people like you and me posting that stuff.. provided we have a checkable source, it'll be accepted.

I think that's BS. All bacteria can eventually become resistant to an antibiotic. Don't take Wikipedia as a source for THE AUTHORITY for info. They're often wrong. It's just people like you and me posting that stuff.. provided we have a checkable source, it'll be accepted.

Yes, bacteria can become resistant to minocycline. They all can.

But as for Wikipedia, the scientific articles are usually written by people who know a lot about the topic, but to check you can always look in the "discussion" section of the article and find out who wrote it and what debate there is about the accuracy of the article. And Wikipedia has the same error rate as Encyclopaedia Brittanica--an average of 3 errors per article.

I want to believe it, and it sounds great, but then that would be the only antibiotic perscribed (unless you were allergic) or it would be every doctor's first line of defense ... I'm on my third antibiotic and I never got that (and only one from that family of antibiotics).

Sorry ... but keep using it and I hope you get great results!

I'm living proof that it IS possible for the acne bacteria to become resistant to minocycline. I was on it for 2 1/2 years and it controlled my acne nicely. Now for the past 2 months I've been breaking out with a cyst or 2 a week.

Mind you- I haven't had cysts on my face ever. I had some on my back in high school but now that I eat healthier the cysts on my back are gone.

My point is this: Minocycline works well but don't stay on it for too long or else you'll have to deal with the same thing I am.

Good luck!

I'm living proof that it IS possible for the acne bacteria to become resistant to minocycline.

same here. minocycline never cleared me up 100% but it kept my acne under control more than anything else.

I eventually became immune to it though.

plus, I was told by my derm you should never be on minocycline for a long period of time because of its side effects (purple toes etc).

so even if you dont become immune, you shouldnt be on it forever.