Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Apple_Blossem

Other vegetarians/vegans on this site?

I was wondering if any of you vegetarians have found places that sell a good brand of free range eggs? Ive decided I want to add more eggs into my diet for the complete protien. Id prefer to support free range/organic places if possible but I havent been able to find ANY free range eggs in the stores around here. :\

Even if you could find free range, cage free, or organic eggs in the supermarket, the labels can be very misleading. I've posted links about it before, but basically, these labels are NOT regulated -- and they do not guarantee conditions are humane or any different than eggs not labelled.

Just FYI about those tricky labels...........

Hmm yeah I know but I just thought maybe they would be a little better. Im sure its still not really "humane" I was just hoping to support the ones that are as humane as possible. Thats why I wondered if there were any specific brands..although the stores here dont seem to carry them anyway. :(

Contributing to the thread saying "I'll repeated again I was vegetarian and ...." seemed like you were extrapolating it to all vegans, like it didn't work for me and it won't work for you

You didn't check your homocysteine levels so you don't know whether you lacked iron or intrinsic factor or cobalamin. That would affect your skin too, that plus a shortage of long chain fatty acids

Anemia is rarely the lack of iron. On autopsy of anemic people it is revealed that their tissues are saturated with iron. Anemia is not absorbing the iron which is why only a very small amount of people recover from anemia when being prescribed iron supplements.

It's not true that it's not "easy" to get 11 g of iron from plants

A vegan diet based on:

fruits

oatmeal

sunflower seeds

hummus

soups (legumes and veggies)

avocado

bananas

pistachos

cashew

lettuce

cucumber

kale

tomatoes

sesame seeds

yams

16% protein/ 50% carbohydrates/ 34% fat

(of course decreasing the fruits and yams and increasing the nuts, avocados and fatty dressing would still lower the carbs and increase the fat)

You would have 42 grams of iron per 3400 calories

hence 21 grams of iron per 1700 calories (a pretty low caloric intake many women exceed easily)

Look, I said "I'll repeat it again...etc" because I've posted my experience a number of times, and I was just acknowledging that I was repeating myself. Yeesh. I had no idea people would take offense to that!

I did eat a diet very similar to the one you posted above for several months (except I had added eggs at that point). I had elimintated all grains except quinoa. I ate mostly veggies, beans and fats. I had the first blood test (the one that showed I was anemic) while I was eating like that.

Veganism is already a restrictive diet and then further restricting it by eliminating wheat and other grains was unhealthy for me in other ways that just physiological.

I felt so much better in so many ways when I added animal products. I suddenly felt nourished in a way that I can't explain very well. It wasn't just that my body felt better. I had always felt guilty eating eggs and cheese, even when I was vegetarian (not vegan), and it was so liberating to be able to eat them and enjoy them and feel nourished by them (and meat). It's also great to be able to travel easily, eat with my family, and not have to say no when other people offer me food. (As long as I eat the way outlined in my sig the majority of the time, I can have the occasional piece of bread, or even cake, without consequence.) I used to bring a cooler of food with me whenever I went anywhere, even to my parents' house. I love not having to do that...ahhhhh.

Anyway, the way my body responded to the way I started eating (ie, no more acne, flatter tummy, no more cravings, no more over-eating because I don't feel satiated, just BETTER) is proof enough for me that I'm on the right track. There might be other approaches, but I'm pretty darn satisfied with the one I've found. It works for me, so I'm done defending it.

Happy Thankgiving!

I am finding substitutions for turkey for this Thanksgiving. Anyone have any ideas? Personally, I find this kinda fun because pulling the entrails out of a dead turkey for Thankgiving takes the fun out of the holiday.

I read on CNN that at Thankgiving time, slaughter houses kill about 50,000 turkeys per day to keep up with demand (45 million in total) and that shakling them (putting their feet in handcuffs) upside usually breaks their delicate legs. I was also sent a 4 minute documentary about turkeys and Turkey Day... which is at: http://www.butterballcruelty.com.

With a camera, it documents the bored workers punching and stomping on live turkeys at the ButterBall slaughterhouse in Ozark, Arkansas . They also slam them into walls -- while waiting for instructions on what to do with the birds.

I am more than happy to think of other foods to eat - perhaps more healthy foods - for this holiday :).

I've seen 'vegetarian turkey substitutes' at the store which looks fun to try. I'm anxious to buy that.

What are other vegetarian's munching on as the main course?

I had a blood test in May '06. I was extremely anemic. I began eating meat (and limited grains) in June, had another blood test in July, and was in the normal range. My skin also cleared up. I'm stating facts, not making generalizations. You don't have to believe that they're correlated. I do.

You didn't check your homocysteine levels so you don't know whether you lacked iron or intrinsic factor or cobalamin. That would affect your skin too, that plus a shortage of long chain fatty acids

You dont need to check homocysteine levels to determine whether you lack iron. Becuase of the fact that iron deficiency is very common it is part of the standard blood test.

Anemia is rarely the lack of iron. On autopsy of anemic people it is revealed that their tissues are saturated with iron. Anemia is not absorbing the iron which is why only a very small amount of people recover from anemia when being prescribed iron supplements.

Iron deficiency anemia is the most common cause of anemia. Poor absorbition comes from lack of absorbtion from the digestive tract, that's why iron deficiecy anemia caused by poor absorbition isn't treated with iron pills, doctors supply iron intraveneously. no-one could be poor absorbers of iron and have tissues saturated with iron. The clue is THEY DONT ABSORB IT.

Yes, I'm not 100% vegan, and never plan to be, but I'd like to be pretty close. Have you heard of Dr. Joel Fuhrman, one of the doctors for Discovery Health Channel? He promotes a mostly vegan diet. www.drfuhrman.com and www.diseaseproof.com. Also, have you yet heard about green smoothies? I think you and your boyfriend would love them! Click here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=108917.

tomorrow i'm doing a five minute *(thats all the time we get) persuasive speech on why one should become vegetarian.

its more going to show the health benefits. not so much the whole "meat is murder" thing

although i do believe in animal rights. i feel they'll listen better if it deals with their health.

for my coms class

tomorrow i'm doing a five minute *(thats all the time we get) persuasive speech on why one should become vegetarian.

its more going to show the health benefits. not so much the whole "meat is murder" thing

although i do believe in animal rights. i feel they'll listen better if it deals with their health.

for my coms class

That's great! Good luck with that, and I agree that your approach of making it about health. That's a wise choice. Hopefully some people in your class will benefit!

for my coms class

That's great! Good luck with that, and I agree that your approach of making it about health. That's a wise choice. Hopefully some people in your class will benefit!

thats my goal :pray:

Do you have all your info?

All the studies that show that meat raises the risk by 40% for colon cancer, etc?

Also, there are doctors in canada who tell their clients to stop eating meat before they are allowed to be one of their patients because eating meat raises various disease risk by 40%. And on insurance policies in England, you get 10 extra points if you are vegetarian.

A vegan-group called Veganoutreach promotes vegetarianism through ethics animal-rights arguments avoiding health arguments

I have to agree with them that this is the right thing to do, because there's no health advantage in vegetarianism ... but let me explain what I mean

I believe there are many advantages for many people in a plant based diet with a reduced amount of animal products, but vegetarianism which is the abstention from the consumption of animal products has no further advantage compared to animal diet

Consider this: if you have a diet eggs, nuts, beans, veggies, grains and fruits you have a vegetarian diet and let's say it works for you and you're healthy. Now add 1 teaspoon of grounded meat.

Now the diet is not any longer vegetarian and yet the 1 teaspoon of meat is not going to have any significant influence or effect on the diet.

There are benefits to plant based diets.

But there are no known difference between a vegetarian diet and a plant based diet with small amount of animal products. In other words the health argument will always justuft the consumption of small amount of meat, fish or for vegan eggs and dairy. The only strong argument from a total abstention compatible with vegetarianism and veganism is ethical condition of animals and non-violent choices of life

Read this interesting article:

http://www.veganoutreach.org/articles/healthargument.html

Do you have all your info?

All the studies that show that meat raises the risk by 40% for colon cancer, etc?

Also, there are doctors in canada who tell their clients to stop eating meat before they are allowed to be one of their patients because eating meat raises various disease risk by 40%. And on insurance policies in England, you get 10 extra points if you are vegetarian.

I did it .. i think it went well.

afterwords everyone said i did a good job/didnt look nervous/sounded professional.

and then i got asked a bunch of questions regarding the health benefits of being veggie/ non health of eating meat.. and so I handed out little flyers w/ goveg.com , peta2.com. etc..

:D I hope they'll make the change... they seemed pretty set back by the statistics i gave and such concerning cancer, heart disease, obesity.. etc.

I did it .. i think it went well.

afterwords everyone said i did a good job/didnt look nervous/sounded professional.

and then i got asked a bunch of questions regarding the health benefits of being veggie/ non health of eating meat.. and so I handed out little flyers w/ goveg.com , peta2.com. etc..

:D I hope they'll make the change... they seemed pretty set back by the statistics i gave and such concerning cancer, heart disease, obesity.. etc.

Wow!!!! You should feel really proud. Not as easy thing you did - quite an accomplishment. :) It's awesome that you were confident, and great idea handing out the flyers!

Agreed with Danny. A person with a diet rich in all nutrients, low stress, great family life and lots of friends, a job they like, regular exercise etc... that also happens to eat meat moderately is not going to be less unhealthy than their vegan counterparts. I'm sorry none of those studies deals with people that eare living healthy lifestyles but eat meat occasionally.

Of course not eating meat because many animals are mistreated doesn't address the fact that you have no argument for the ones that are treated humanely. It's a blanket ban like they do with many things like drugs. A few abuse the freedom they have so all pay. Unless it's specifically the act of killing something that is sentient you don't agree with. Which I would ask why abstain from seafood then? With this stance I can understand your argument for mammals though.

If I'm being a troll please forgive me.

I got excited when I saw this thread because about 4 days ago I decided to go vegetarian. :D I come from a very meaty family, so this is gonna be a real challenge for me.

Oh yeah...did anybody notice any weight loss when becoming a vegetarian? I'd like to shed a few pounds ;)

If you go vegan, you'll experience weight loss. As a vegetarian, you will still be consuming dairy, so it's more likely you won't lose that much weight. It also totally depends on what you're eating. If you're vegetarian, but consuming a lot of starches and dairy (like ice cream, cheese, etc), you might gain weight. If you're a vegetarian who is eating meat alternatives (high protein, high fiber, low fat) and a lot of vegetables and eggs, you'll probably lose weight.

Someone was asking about free range eggs: Trader Joe's is a great source for non-hormone cage-free egg products. I've also seen some at Von's, if there is no TJ near you. They will be a lot $$ at Von's though.

I gained weight (about 5-7 pounds) when I became a vegetarian because I was getting adjusted to the new diet and eating more cheeses and pastas.

However, I slowly started incorporating some healthy vegan habits into my diet:

1. I put myself on rice milk instead of cow milk. And now I only drink rice milk about once every 2 months.

2. I dont eat cheese (I didnt know this was like eating pure fat before). I ONLY allow myself only a few springles of paragean on my spaghetti to liven the flavor.

3. I changed from creamy ice cream to 100% fruit popcycles, which are pretty good.

4. I stopped using ALL butters. I'll pour a veggie chili over my baked potato or I'll use a LITTLE 100% fruit jam on my bread to help it go down. Peanut butter is pretty fattening, so watch out for that. Do air-popped popcorn instead of in oil. Find the BEST salad place in town and treat yourself to that place.

5. Don't fall for that TV advertisement "Yogurt helps you loose weight" because that is what put more weight on me. Although its healthier than ice cream, it still is a form of fat.

As soon as I started going vegan, the weight melted off of me... I think I dropped 9ish pounds. I'm happy with my weight. I have toned muscle underneith and I do not like the feeling of having useless flabs of fat hanging about me. It just bugs me :P.

I gained weight (about 5-7 pounds) when I became a vegetarian because I was getting adjusted to the new diet and eating more cheeses and pastas.

1. I put myself on rice milk instead of cow milk. And now I only drink rice milk about once every 2 months.

2. I dont eat cheese (I didnt know this was like eating pure fat before). I ONLY allow myself only a few springles of paragean on my spaghetti to liven the flavor.

3. I changed from creamy ice cream to 100% fruit popcycles, which are pretty good.

4. I stopped using ALL butters. I'll pour a veggie chili over my baked potato or I'll use a LITTLE 100% fruit jam on my bread to help it go down. Peanut butter is pretty fattening, so watch out for that. Do air-popped popcorn instead of in oil. Find the BEST salad place in town and treat yourself to that place.

5. Don't fall for that TV advertisement "Yogurt helps you loose weight" because that is what put more weight on me. Although its healthier than ice cream, it still is a form of fat.

As soon as I started going vegan, the weight melted off of me... I think I dropped 9ish pounds. I'm happy with my weight. I have toned muscle underneith and I do not like the feeling of having useless flabs of fat hanging about me. It just bugs me :P.

That's awesome advice. I love the baked potato chili idea - yum!! Thanks for sharing. :)

Ummm... fat doesn't make you fat, yogurt is barely a form of fat since it's most often in the form of "low fat", and the only pure form of fat that we eat is lard / oils. Excess calories, not fat, is what makes you fat.

The trick to eating a high calorie food like peanut butter, chocolate, ice cream, etc. is to know how much to eat before you've gotten enough calories. To a lot of people, they get caught up in the taste and forget that food is to fuel you first, and to satisfy your tastes second, and they overeat and go way overboard with more calories then they're going to burn.

With that said I just had some chocolate (oops, guilty pleasure) and now I'm going to exercise :)

Someone was asking about free range eggs: Trader Joe's is a great source for non-hormone cage-free egg products. I've also seen some at Von's, if there is no TJ near you. They will be a lot $$ at Von's though.

There are no trader Joes' OR Vons here. :(

Ummm... fat doesn't make you fat, yogurt is barely a form of fat since it's most often in the form of "low fat", and the only pure form of fat that we eat is lard / oils. Excess calories, not fat, is what makes you fat.

I was just going to say, fat doesnt make you fat. Excess carbs and calories do.

What stores are near you? I've also noticed certain stores carry different products. For instance, at the Vons near my house, they carry Gimme Lean (something Trader Joe's doesn't carry anymore), but the Vons a few miles down does not. I live in an upscale college town, so the stores cater to what the demographic wants to purchase. If there isn't anything within 10 miles of you, maybe consider going into another nearby town to look. If one store doesn't carry something, it doesn't mean their partner stores won't too. :)