Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LabGirl81

I don't know why I tried this....

So I tried this makeup that I normally wouldn't every use since I used to be so paranoid about my skin breaking out. After I stopped treating my acne (trying to get Accutane) I sort of became way less paranoid. My acne became worse and worse, and occasionally it wasn't "professional" to go without makeup like I usually do.

I've been experimenting with finding a makeup that can cover (or at least signifigantly improve the appearance of) cystic acne, that ranges from moderate to severe....

I've got access to lots of makeup (I make it for a living)....So I tried a whole bunch.....

The best by far was this...

Almay Line Smoothing Compact Makeup. It's actually a solid emulsion. It was tested for comedogenicity and passed (but who knows what that means). It's got great coverage, like medium to high. And it feels beautiful. The finish is really natural, and it kinda felt soothing (even though it hurts to touch my face). And it made my thousands of whiteheads invisible. The cysts and bumps were harder to see and didn't look purple under my makeup.......it almost looked like I don't have acne. Plus it hides large pores and seems to fill in my shallow scars.....

Now my skin is really oily, and this doesn't do a great job at absorbing the oil, but it kinda the appearance of it masks it. I still needed to blot, but no more then if I wear Colorstay........

Love this stuff, and it'll be perfect for when I'm on Accutane......

Is it more of a liquid or more of a powder?

More like a liquid (as far as the finish goes)........it's not powdery ar all (not drying)...

And it does what it say it does....smooths lines......great for someone on a drying acne regimen or mediction..

Hi Labgirl,

I have a few questions about this. Is this from the new range of products? I tried thier line for acne prone skin and the powders and colors were very dark and orangy-eww. Right now my fave makeup is Covergirl aquasmooth it's a medium coverage that fills in scares/pores pretty well...but I'm wondering if Almays formula may be better. How is the color? Does it get that strange orange look or stay true? I have first lines around my eyes and aquasmooth tends to fall into those more than fill in.

Alamy's formula was actually based on Aquasmooth, but is way better. It says true to color. I don't like the Almay line for acne-prone skin. It's drying because of all the silica and SA, so if your on a regimen which is drying it only makes the dryness worse. I agree about the Alamy colors. All of the Almay lines were suposed to be shade matched to eachother, so the colors should be similar. I use Sand or Neutral. I'm light to medium and I have yellow/olive undertones......so there aren't too pink. If you are very fair, Buff is a nice color....I think Ivory is kinda too pink.....

It won't settle into lines at all.....it actually is meant to mask their appearacne, and if it can hid my scars it shouldn't settle into lines......and it even works well with my super oily skin.......

A formula that is more emollient to begin with will be less likely to change to an orangy hue once your sebum starts to flow......I never had a problem with the shade shifting with this makeup........Revlon Colorstay shifts big time on me since it's not a very emollient formula.....my sebum wets out the pigments and intensifies the shade.........

i use almay clear complexion, it contains some salycic acid in it and it's great. =)

i'm glad you found something that you're happy with!

when is your accutane course starting?

Lagirl, have you tried maybelline matte mousse? That's what I'm using now, and if you've used it I'd love to hear a comparison of it tot he Almay. I'm such a product whore...I may try the Almay too-it's on sale this week at Shopper's!

Labgirl, sounds great... i'm so glad you've found something that can help you in the meantime.

I need your advice on this, I used to have a forehead full of inflamed spots etc and now i've got lots of tiny black spots/marks... i'm a guy do you knwo anything that will disguise this and not look too ovious... will this even help?

heres the link to Almay line smoothing compact makeup

http://www.almay.com/Pg/Main/CatProdDet.as...&osubnm=Dry

has anyone bought it yet?I can't find the ingredients list!!!*** help*<

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 3.8%

Inactive Ingredients: Aqua (water, eau), Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Isotridecyl Isononanoate, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, Nylon 12, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Cera Microcristallina (Microcrystalline Wax, Cire Microcristall), Talc, Synthetic Wax, Glycerin, Sorbitan Isostearate, Alumina, Polyethylene, Trihydroxystearin, Stearic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans, Sodium Hyaluronate, Saccharide Isomerate, Cucumis Sactivus Fruit Extract (Cucumber), Vitis Vinifera Seed Extract (grape), Centaurea Cyanus Flower Extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Gingko Biloba Leaf Extract, Palmitoyl Hydroxypropyl Trimonium Amylopectin, Glycerin Crosspolymer, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Punica Granatum Extract, Riboflavin, Erythrulose, Caffeine, Algae Extract, Aspalathus Linearis Leaf Extract, Sorbitol, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Triethanolamine, Sodium Chloride, Silica, Methicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Acrylonitrile/Methacrylonitrile/Methyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI77891), Iron Oxides (CI77491, CI77492, CI77499)

Long as hell right. Oh it comes with a sponge.....it needs to be applied with a sponge....

Lagirl, have you tried maybelline matte mousse? That's what I'm using now, and if you've used it I'd love to hear a comparison of it tot he Almay. I'm such a product whore...I may try the Almay too-it's on sale this week at Shopper's!

I hate Dream Matte Mousse. It's sooo dry and it just settles into my large pores and makes them even more visable. When I was using topicals it made me flake horribly........

Yuck.......

The Almay is way more emollient feeling and is cooling because it's a solid emulsion (has a water phase). I think the coverage is similar or a litle better than the Dream Matte.....

The Almay doesn't have a matte finish....it's more semi-matte and really natural....

LabGirl,

Do you think this Almay Line Smoothing makeup will go on well over topicals? (like with the CSR).

It think it would work really well. It's forumalted for dry skin, and CSR regimen users usually have pretty dry skin. I like that it smooths out lines......that's what it's meant to do....

People who have reallty oily skin will need to blot, but I don't blot any more then when I wear Revlon Colorstay (which is pretty drying)......

I bought it. What the heck-it was on sale, and I do think it's great! It is less drying that dream matte mousse and doesn't show flakies...color match is perfect too! (I got Naked).

So I'll use maybelline when I'm really oily (starting to lessen now) and Almay for regular use.

For now...says the product whore...mouahahahaha!

Labgirl,

Is this marketed for older women? I've started switching to those type of makeup since I'm not so breakout prone anymore. My hairline breaks out more than the rest of my face at this age.

I used to use the Colorstay for the matte finish, but it really makes my wrinkles (at the tender age of 33) look more wrinkly.

I like the Age Rewind by Maybelline. It fills my "orange peel" pores well. I think if someone still has oily skin (mine is nice and moisture-rich but not slick slick like it was in my 20s) then this is not for them.

I may have to try the Almay. My pores and one icepick scar on my already large and noticeable nose need some fill-in.

I ran to the store to buy some last night, lol only because i ran out of my BM (which i don't care for)! Anyhow, I think it covered pretty well, and I have oily skin, but it didn't seem to make me more oily throughtout the day than any other foundation. I only had to blot maybe 2x by the days end. Today was my first day using it, and I think so far it's a hit. Do you use powder? If so what kind?

I ran to the store to buy some last night, lol only because i ran out of my BM (which i don't care for)! Anyhow, I think it covered pretty well, and I have oily skin, but it didn't seem to make me more oily throughtout the day than any other foundation. I only had to blot maybe 2x by the days end. Today was my first day using it, and I think so far it's a hit. Do you use powder? If so what kind?

Ok, what's BM? The mother in me can only think of a bowel movement. I know you didn't run out of that. :lol::lol:

EDIT:: nevermind I think I just realized it is Bare Minerals. It took me a second. Sorry.

I can't imagine liking bare minerals or bare essentials or any of those mineral products. I'm a sponge and compact kind of gal.

Labgirl,

Is this marketed for older women? I've started switching to those type of makeup since I'm not so breakout prone anymore. My hairline breaks out more than the rest of my face at this age.

I used to use the Colorstay for the matte finish, but it really makes my wrinkles (at the tender age of 33) look more wrinkly.

I like the Age Rewind by Maybelline. It fills my "orange peel" pores well. I think if someone still has oily skin (mine is nice and moisture-rich but not slick slick like it was in my 20s) then this is not for them.

I may have to try the Almay. My pores and one icepick scar on my already large and noticeable nose need some fill-in.

It's actually marketed for much older women than myself (I'm 24). It meant for skin that is maturing and dry (like 35+), I think, since Line Smoothing is their "anti-aging" line. I never would have picked it up, but I had it right in front of me at work, and wanted to play with it......I liked the way it felt when I'd apply it to my inner forearm (don't ask....it's part of my job) and I've always liked how it looked on other people........

It's amazing how it hides all my whiteheads, and fills in my pores.......Even though I'm oily it doesn't make me seem more oily....it kinda masks the oiliness.......

I use Colorstay from time to time, but I hate the way it settles into pores and lines and it feels "masky." I only wear it when I have to for work actually........

I've never tried Age Rewind.....

Do you use powder? If so what kind?

No powder for me....I don't like using powder on really oily skin.....eventually the sebum wets out the powder and the shade shifts.......if it's traslucent it gets all cakey and nasty.

I usually just apply more of the foundation on spots if it's fading and on my nose to hide my blackheads and large pores........

I found a trick....to kinda dab the sponge on spots that require more coverage....it's amazing what this can cover.......I can hide most of my acne with it (everything but the really big nodules/cysts). I don't know what makes it cover so well....I'm not used to compact foundation though........

This is so going to be my makeup when I'm on Accutane.......

Guest TylerD

Labgirl do you stipple your makeup, or do you do it in strokes?? (stipple as in pat it around your skin) Im sure you know what it means lol but just makin sure :D

Labgirl do you stipple your makeup, or do you do it in strokes?? (stipple as in pat it around your skin) Im sure you know what it means lol but just makin sure :D

I do it in strokes, unles sI have to add a bit more coverage....then I stipple.....

Guest TylerD

I do it in strokes, unles sI have to add a bit more coverage....then I stipple.....

On makeup411.net they give me alot of tips. And they say stippling is better then strokes as it wont settle into pores as much and gives alot more coverage and evens out more. Lately I have been trying this method and it works pretty well but its not like I am seeing a huge difference.

Guest TylerD

So is this a powder or a creme? Or is it like Covergirl Aquasmooth type feel ( a sorda liquid to powder deal)?

Have you tried the line smoothing concealer or do you know if its been tested for being non comodegenic (spelling??haha)? Thanks for any help!

So is this a powder or a creme? Or is it like Covergirl Aquasmooth type feel ( a sorda liquid to powder deal)?

Cream, no powder finish.....semi-matte finish

Have you tried the line smoothing concealer or do you know if its been tested for being non comodegenic (spelling??haha)? Thanks for any help!

Yes it was comedo tested, and looks like it passed........I've never tried it because the shades are too unnatural looking for me.....I'm not that pink.........

I don't need a seperate concelaer with that makep....I've never been a fan of concealer......I just use an extra dab of the foundation du jour on trouble sopts......

I'm really thinking about trying this, but I always pick the wrong shade.... how would you describe your skin, and what shade are you using, labgirl?

i'm using revlon colorstay and like it except it's starting to look strange on my accutaned skin, mainly because of the color.