Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
handsbella

Supplements for liver tonic

Hello, I take Milk Thistle and Dandelion for a few months and they really stop breakouts for me.

After listening to some opinions, they may have negative effects if use in long term,we cant be sure of it because there have not been extensive research on them.

So, I would like to know is there any REALLY SAFE herb supplements as liver tonic that I could use in long term to replace the Milk Thistle and Dandelion? Ya, I know everything is not perfect and there will be little side effects, so, we got to take supplements that give the lowest bad effects, right?

I know I could google it and get tons of herbs but I have the problem where we could not get the real experiences but just a fact from scienctist which give me the same worries as Milk Thistle and Dandelion.

I am not sure when people said "bad effects", does you mean Milk Thistle only or both the Milk Thistle and Dandelion?

May I know what herb supplements you all use as liver tonic? Mind to tell?

regards

Bella

Eat foods to help your liver. Liverdoctor.com should help you figure out what else is out there.

You shouldn't really take ANY herb long-term, I don't think... nor should you have to if you get to the root of the problem.

In other words, start doing liver flushes. Some herbs are useful as well, but you need to flush.

Also, drink fresh carrot juice and take a spoonful of olive oil or another healthy oil with it. Or eat this (carrot salad): http://www.askshelley.com/faq.php?p=default&cat=49#a72

Nice link Leah.

I agree that you should not take herbs very long term. But this is really dependant on the amounts and kinds. Some common ones used in food are great over any length of time as they produce few Malliard particles.

Definately start with a liver flush.

On the Milk Thistle and Dandelion thing. They are more effective when taken together. Some people have negative thing to say about the two but I think they're great.

One of the best liver cleansing herbs that can be used long term: turmeric. This little prized Indian spice is quite amazing in how many things it does: makes bile more soluble / protects the liver, helps with gallstones, contains a good variety of vitamins (A, C, E I believe), is very anti-inflammatory, and is a very strong antioxidant. I'm trying turmeric tea with a dash of cardamon for taste right now, not bad. Anyways this stuff is quite highly regarded in both western science and eastern Ayurvedic medicine, I believe it is considered one of the top blood cleansers in India. Also, it's a cooking spice so you can incorportate it into that, for meats, tomato sauces, curries, etc. It's very potent; beware, though, you must treat it with respect because it STAINS a hard yellow that takes a lot of work to remove.

Dandelion leaves are also safe long term, as they're a food and as a salad green, more nutritious then almost any other, including spinach.

By the way, turmeric is also very strong applied topically, here's a reference:

"In Samoa, natives have used the powdered rhizome to treat skin ulcers, heal the navel of newborn children, get rid of pimples and relieve the pain and itching of dermatitis, eczema and psoriasis. In some cases, such as with diaper rash, the powdered rhizome is just sprinkled into the hand and then rubbed on the baby's skin. In other instances, however, some turmeric is mixed with a little coconut oil and gently applied to more severe inflammations.

In India and China, a little powdered turmeric is mixed with the juice from half a squeezed lime and a little water to make a smooth, even paste, which then is put directly onto herpes lesions, leprosy sores, measles, mumps, chickenpox and so forth with excellent results. Several crushed zinc tablets (50 mg. each) may also be added if desired. The same paste works well for snakebites, insect stings, and ringworm, too."

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_turmeric.htm'

You may want to hold off on applying it to your face though, it will stain your skin a temporary yellow :)

More info:

"Turmeric, a long-time folk remedy for liver disorders, can reduce inflammation in the liver and strengthen liver function. Today, natural healers often prescribe curcumin to people with hepatitis C, a common liver ailment. To add to its versatility, curcumin has also been used as an effective treatment for gallbladder disease.

Studies from Japan have confirmed that spices can increase shelf life of oils and fats. Turmeric and ginger, among other spices, showed significant antioxidant activity when they were added to olive, soybean or sesame oils. Interesting applications of turmeric have been found in extending the refrigerated storage life of seafood. Since turmeric is used popularly with most fish preparations, the effect of a dip treatment in turmeric, or turmeric with salt, each at 5% level for 15-30 minutes was studied by one group of scientists.

Control shrimp only had a shelf life of 13 days, developing black spots and fishy decomposition odor. But by dipping the shrimp in a turmeric plus salt dip solution, the shelf life increased another week. And when a combination of spice-salt dip plus irradiation was employed, shelf life increased to 42 days."

"Traditional remedy - Turmeric improves the action of the liver and is a traditional remedy for jaundice in both Ayurvedic and Chinese herbal medicine...

Arthritis & allergies - Even though turmeric does not relieve pain, its anti-inflammatory action makes it useful for arthritis, and other inflammatory conditions such as asthma and eczema.

Circulatory disorders - Due to its anti-inflammatory- blood-thinning, and cholesterol- lowering properties, turmeric is now used to reduce the risk of strokes and heart attacks.

Skin conditions - Applied to the skin, turmeric is useful in treating a number of conditions, including psoriasis, and fungal infections such as athlete's foot.

Other medical uses - Breast cancer, Cervical cancer, Colorectal cancer, Lung cancer, Ovarian cancer, Prostate cancer, Viral infection."

Scientific study on it:

"Curcumin, an antioxidant isolated from turmeric (curcuma longa), has been shown to attenuate chemical carcinogenesis in rodents. Previous studies have shown that curcumin causes an increase in glutathione S-transferase (GST) activity in rodent liver which may contribute to its anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory activities."

Glutathione is the most potent antioxidant our body makes and is a very powerful detoxifier and cleanser, as well as helping lower levels of IGF-1, the acne causing hormone.

I think I'm gonna start adding turmeric tea to my daily regimen!

Mmm i LOVE turmeric, wouldn't fancy it as a TEA tho! I always mix it into my quinoa, you can use loads cos the taste is very subtle.

Leah, how are you getting on with those flushes now, are you seeing any dramatic results with your skin?

Hello, I take Milk Thistle and Dandelion for a few months and they really stop breakouts for me.

After listening to some opinions, they may have negative effects if use in long term,we cant be sure of it because there have not been extensive research on them.

So, I would like to know is there any REALLY SAFE herb supplements as liver tonic that I could use in long term to replace the Milk Thistle and Dandelion? Ya, I know everything is not perfect and there will be little side effects, so, we got to take supplements that give the lowest bad effects, right?

I know I could google it and get tons of herbs but I have the problem where we could not get the real experiences but just a fact from scienctist which give me the same worries as Milk Thistle and Dandelion.

I am not sure when people said "bad effects", does you mean Milk Thistle only or both the Milk Thistle and Dandelion?

May I know what herb supplements you all use as liver tonic? Mind to tell?

regards

Bella

Flor Essence :D i quote "suitable for LONG term use" lol

I drink a vegetable stock/drink called "Bouillon" available here in the UK. Comes in powder form just add boiling water.

It is Organic & Yeast / Gluten free. One of the ingredients is Turmeric. Interesting... I've been drinking it for few days now.

Leah, how are you getting on with those flushes now, are you seeing any dramatic results with your skin?

I'm pretty clear. It's just that I took a 2 month break from liver flushing a little while ago and my skin got sort of bad again. But since my last one, 3 weeks ago, I haven't broken out really. I'm doing my 8th flush tonight.