Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~TEPL0~

Fat free diet?

here's my theory:

Sebum IS oil. It has to come from somewhere, and my guess is, it comes from food.

I never gain weight no matter what I eat, but I notice my skin get oily when I eat lots of avocado, or fatty meat, or salad with olive oil. Chocolate also, since cocoa butter is one of the main ingredients.

Carbs and protein get converted into fat if you eat TOO MUCH of them. How much is too much?

Your body needs about 100-150 calories per hour to function normally. 1 gram of carbs or protein = 4 calories. Therefore 30 grams of carbs or protein is good for one hour.

If you eat a candy bar with 30 grams of carbs (assuming it has no fat (which is highly unlikely in real life, but just for the sake of the example)), the sugar will get processed in 5 minutes or so.

In 5 minutes, you need about 12 calories. Since the candy will get processed right away, you'll be using 3 grams of carbs for energy, and the rest will go into fat (sebum).

But if you eat a complex carb, which takes an hour to digest, the same 30 carbs will release small amounts of sugar into your blood over time, allowing you to use the energy effectively - no fat, no sebum.

People say "you NEED fat." But you WILL get fat, from eating too many carbs and protein, so I don't think deliberate fat intake should be a goal.

This is all based on my research in nutrition, but I'm not saying it's 100% correct. Just a possibility.

No, most of the fat that gets converted from carbs is palmitic acid - only one source of fat, and a saturated fat at that. You still need omega 3's and 6's, monounsaturated fats and small amounts of other saturated fats like the SCFA's/MCFA's of coconut oil / butter, and much smaller amounts of the longer chain fatty acids in meats (not much here).

Sebum is composed partly of fat, but what you neglect to research is the HORMONE that controls sebum production, IGF-1. The way to lower IGF-1 is: no dairy, low glycemic index diet, lots of exercise, more vegetables, whole grains only, little to no refined sugar.

Yeah I agree with you Rubber Sheep... fat free diet isn't going to correct sebum over-production.

Teplo have you ever considered or tried liver cleansing/flushing, or any other form of cleansing? You're always trying these far-fetched diets... If you got to the root of the problem you wouldn't have to do that. Your oily skin (and acne I assume?) points to less than optimal liver function.

BY THE WAY... zero fat diet gives you gall stones. Bile goes stagnant, hardens, and there's obstructions in the liver :)

By the way Leah, so you don't really follow any type of diet now? Cuz of the flushes?

By the way Leah, so you don't really follow any type of diet now? Cuz of the flushes?

Oh, sorry if it sounded like that.... No, I still follow the same diet (or try to). I just meant that a fat free diet, and some other diets that I recall Teplo trying, seems really extreme to me. There are a lot of things I don't eat but I consider my diet healthy and balanced. A fat-free diet is in no way healthy or balanced.

BTW I am not 100% clear but I'd say I'm about 90-95% clear WHEN I keep up with my liver flushes and diet. People might not find it very impressive because I don't have the freedom to eat absolutely anything... but a certain diet alone never touched my acne. So for me, to be able to be close to clear at all, no matter what it takes to maintain that... I'm impressed.

Anyway I'm not done with liver flushing yet so I can't talk about it as if I've experienced the extent of its benefits.