Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm not thinking about going on accutane (sp???), but i'm a very curious person, and I was wondering if anyone knew why accutane could cause depression.

It's a drug and can effect the brain.

I'm sort of afraid to take it. I have mild acne that won't respond to anything else. I'm about to find out how long a cycle I'd be put on..... unless anyone here can tell me first?

Don't let your curiosity stop at a messageboard... Please realize even the most informative messageboard is occupied by people who really don't know what will repeat what they think makes sense.

So... channel your curiosity into research, at the very least, a google search since the internet is so prevalent because simply being curios with little action means nothing... don't stop at just posing a question, but aim to find the answer yourself.

google search "accutane depression"

after reading about 6 articles (1st from fda, then about.com one to follow the link to the letter from roche etc) and follow some of its link, you will come to the answer of your question

"anyone knew why accutane could cause depression"

is that NO ONE KNOWS WHY or if there is even a valid link between accutane and depression!

Please note, you telling your derm that your acne hasn't clear up after 4 months on the tane and that you are sad, don't want to see friends and has wonder when this will ever end will pretty much qualify you to be having a psychological episode.

also note

"The Food and Drug Administration currently has more than 234 reports of suicide among Accutane users worldwide over the last 21 years, including 179 in the United States."

that's 234 suicide over 21 years. That mean, 11.14 tane users off'd themselves each year, the reason why unknown, except that they are taking accutane. (never mind that they were probably called pizzaface by everyone and bullied)

"In addition, Congressional hearings have documented over 1,373 psychiatric adverse events other than suicide, all related to Accutane usage"

1373 events! oh my, I would wager that in a normal large size University the school counseler/psychiatrist probably see more cases than that in a single semester.

Read more than just 10 articles from credible sites, even those anti tane sites and you will realize that the only credible reference to accutane and depression is from the letter from roche to change the information in drug phamplet.

http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/SAFETY/1998/accuta.htm

""Psychiatric disorders: Accutane may cause depression, psychosis and, rarely, suicidal ideation, suicide attempts and suicide. Discontinuation of Accutane therapy may be insufficient; further evaluation may be necessary. No mechanism of action has been established for these events.""

note: no mechanism of action has been established for these events.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anything else is either someone who knows of some secret reserach data, not just clinical data which note that some on tane is depressed or just BS.

you would also want to read

http://www.accutane-side-effects.net/side_effects/news.html

"an estimated five million people in the U.S. have taken Accutane alone"

"A December 11, 2002 hearing on Accutane focused on Accutane birth defects, depression, and 173 suicides. "

don't be afraid to take it.

This whole thing is manmade.

1st. it is a very profitable drug ($$$ always a target for class action lawsuits)

2nd. a representative's son died...

3rd. irresponsible preganancies = many abortions... and we know how conservatives and liberals alike like irresponsible pregnancies and abortions.

The result of the above 3 mean = omg, phear accutane!

The incidence of suicide while taking Accutane is actually lower than that of the general population. One fairly recent study found that the moods of teenagers who took Accutane actually improved as their courses progressed.

well look, I think if you're seriously going to kill yourself while on tane it isn't because of tane alone. you most certainly had that tendency before. in those cases tane is just pulling the trigger but the gun was in your hands all along.

try it, then you'll know. it isn't like you're on contract with your derm so it's you who takes the pill every day and it's you is able to stop anytime if you want to. don't worry so much. ;)

Current research indicates accutane may effect the brain in a number of ways. In one study, patients were administered isotretinoin, 1 mg/kg for a period of 4 months. PET scans showed a -21% decrease of metabolism in the orbitalfrontal cortex (Bremner JD, 2005). Whether the changes in brain metabolism are permanent is unknown; follow-up studies must be done.

Retinoids have a number of physiological roles in the body. Retinoid receptors are expressed in neurobiological systems and retinoid signaling modulates activities in dopaminergic neurons, paticularly d2 receptor expression. In a mouse model study, retinoic acid administered over a 3-week period was observed to significantly decrease the cell survival of hippocampal stem cells (Sakai & Crandell, 2004), a region of the brain that is involved in emotion and memory.

Furthermore, the dysregulation of retinoid signaling pathways is observed in depression, schizophrenia, and Alzheimer's dementia disorders.

For my speculation as to why symptoms of depression occur long-term, see my post in the following thread: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...p;#entry1242381

##

-Roaccutane Science: http://max001.proboards42.com

-Retinoid signaling, etc.

-FDA Advisory Committee on Accutane (2000)

-Accutane package label (2005)

-Package label history

The incidence of suicide while taking Accutane is actually lower than that of the general population. One fairly recent study found that the moods of teenagers who took Accutane actually improved as their courses progressed.

Well, if we are to believe that Roche's trial data is accurate, i.e. <=1% incidence for serious adverse reactions, such as neurobiological disorders that would be classifed as clinical depression or psychosis according to the DSMV-IV, then the potential incidence rate would be approximately <=50,000 in the US alone if the population of patients is 5 million. I am not going to speculate on the actual incidence; there is not enough information available to attain an accurate estimator. More studies need to be done on the incidence of particular conditions, which include surveying over an extended period, say 1 to 3 years post-treatment.

##

-Package label history

Take my advice. Do NOT become a hypochondriac. you'll read up on symptons and convince yourself you have or you will have them in which case you will then make yourself depressed because you assume that its being cause by the drug.

to be perfectly honest im just gonna regard them as regular pills u take just like capsules of cod liver oil. I don't see any point in worrying if im gonna become suicidal or not cos if I do, I probably WILL become suicidal. so wateva. its just silly fussing and nit picking. Just watch out for any symptons of depression and ask people around you to too. You can always stop taking them if your worried. it isnt that hard! just stop popping them in your mouth, and then worry is over.

Alcohol is MUCH MORE likely to cause suicides or depression and cancer and death and even murder and all sorts of nasty things(including killing brain cells etc) and EVERYBODY drinks that. and smoking is a hell of alot more likely to kill you, but loads of people smoke anyway. There's no point in worrying. You gotta break a few eggs to make an omlette, and in this case eggs dont even need to be broken, people do it anyway cos they're paranoid.

and yeah wateva. mood swing over.

Take my advice. Do NOT become a hypochondriac. ... There's no point in worrying. You gotta break a few eggs to make an omlette, and in this case eggs dont even need to be broken, people do it anyway cos they're paranoid.

:clap::clap:

Well, if we are to believe that Roche's trial data is accurate, i.e. <=1% incidence for serious adverse reactions, such as neurobiological disorders that would be classifed as clinical depression or psychosis according to the DSMV-IV, then the potential incidence rate would be approximately <=50,000 in the US alone if the population of patients is 5 million.

That figure is for all serious adverse effects, is it not? Wouldn't depression/psychosis (if it really happens as a direct result of Accutane and is not coincidental) be but a fraction of the total? And as i understand it, the 5 million figure is a gross over-estimation due to each month's prescription being counted as a new patient, rather than as ongoing treatment for a single patient.

Well, if we are to believe that Roche's trial data is accurate, i.e. <=1% incidence for serious adverse reactions, such as neurobiological disorders that would be classifed as clinical depression or psychosis according to the DSMV-IV, then the potential incidence rate would be approximately <=50,000 in the US alone if the population of patients is 5 million.

That figure is for all serious adverse effects, is it not? Wouldn't depression/psychosis (if it really happens as a direct result of Accutane and is not coincidental) be but a fraction of the total? And as i understand it, the 5 million figure is a gross over-estimation due to each month's prescription being counted as a new patient, rather than as ongoing treatment for a single patient.

Exactly. And I wouldn't be suprised if depression in the general population was more prevalent than that.

What they are doing in those meta-studies is assessing information that is surveyed over a short period of time. They give someone a questionnaire where the patient subjectively responds to questions like, "How would you characterize your mood? A) Happy. B) Sad. C) Emotionless." before and shortly after the treatment. Oh, look at that, no cases of depression, suicide or psychosis. Then, they conclude no causal relationship between psychiatric disorders and Accutane exist.

This is why I favor experimental research over statistical in this situation; it is much easier to mislead with analyses because of bias, whereas this cannot be so easily done when discovering anatomical/physiological facts.

If it can happen, it will happen.

Future analyses need to have very specific criteria that are based upon the available experimental evidence. We need to test for very specific conditions, and over longer periods of time, say three years, for example. If you take this drug, there is no assurance that it will not cause psychiatric or severe debilitating disorders years after treatment. No long-term incidence studies have been done. And the growing body of experimental research into retinoid signaling systems and the pharmacodynamic/phramacokinetic properties of retinoids is making a causal connection more evident in regards to the speculations I have made in my signature.

""Psychiatric disorders: Accutane may cause depression, psychosis and, rarely, suicidal ideation, suicide attempts and suicide. Discontinuation of Accutane therapy may be insufficient; further evaluation may be necessary. No mechanism of action has been established for these events.""

note: no mechanism of action has been established for these events.

What exactly is your knowledge of Accutane, Wasabi? Have you ever taken the drug?

It is very difficult to establish a causal relationship between a drug and disorders that cannot be described with complex biological explanations. Roche plays upon this fact to discredit any experimental studies linking Accutane to psychiatric disorders. Plenty of mechanisms have been speculated by Bremner, Crandall, and many other researchers. There is strong scientific evidence indicating that Accutane effects neurobiological systems. Given enough time (1 yr.), a causal relationship between Accutane treatment and dopaminergic d2 receptor expression in certain areas of the brain may be shown. We already know tretinoin acts as a ligand for retinoid receptors that effect response elements responsible for d2 expression.

##

-Package label history

How else can depression be determined other than asking people how they feel? Is there some magic depression diagnosis machine that i've never heard about? And i feel that analysis of the rate of suicide versus the rate in the general population is quite telling as far as a connection to suicide goes. And at any rate, the study which showed depression rates improved was not a statistical analysis, it was a controlled study.

What they are doing in those meta-studies is assessing information that is surveyed over a short period of time. They give someone a questionnaire where the patient subjectively responds to questions like, "How would you characterize your mood? A) Happy. B) Sad. C) Emotionless." before and shortly after the treatment. Oh, look at that, no cases of depression, suicide or psychosis. Then, they conclude no causal relationship between psychiatric disorders and Accutane exist.

This is why I favor experimental research over statistical in this situation; it is much easier to mislead with analyses because of bias, whereas this cannot be so easily done when discovering anatomical/physiological facts.

If it can happen, it will happen.

you have absolutely no evidence that they always do it before and shortly after the treatment. u hav absolutely no bloody clue. there going to of been lots of tests like asking how people feel. u have absolutely no way of telling if all of them did it before or shortly after the people they tested took the drug.

How else can depression be determined other than asking people how they feel? Is there some magic depression diagnosis machine that i've never heard about? And i feel that analysis of the rate of suicide versus the rate in the general population is quite telling as far as a connection to suicide goes. And at any rate, the study which showed depression rates improved was not a statistical analysis, it was a controlled study.

thats exactly what i was thinking.

the only way i know of to determine how depressed sum1 is, is to ask them. ur not gonna know otherwise are you. u cant guess. :shifty: