Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bimmerman11

CAN YOU BE ALLERGIC TO ACCUTANE?

This may sound like a stupid question but I just got back from the derm and told her that I believed I broke out in hives when I was 16 years old while on Accutane.

She said that's impossible and that it must've been something else that caused the reaction. I don't remember what else could have caused it since it was 13 years ago.

I'm taking Bactrim DS as a last resort to control my cystic acne that has flared up the last 2 months. I was on minocycline for 2 1/2 years and my face has been erupting with cysts by my nose and cheek area.

She suggested that I should go back on Accutane and that I have nothing to worry about.

She seemed really calm about recommending it to me.

Should I be concerned about being allergic to the "Tane"?- as some of you like to call it

Thanks in advance for any replies.

You're probably not allergic to the actual active ingredient, as it's a natural derivative of vitamin A and your body is supposed to produce very small quantities of it. It is possible you're allergic to one of the inert ingerdients.

Edit: Your "hives" might have been an IB. Also, you can probably be tested to see if you're allergic to it. I know they make a topical version of isotretinoin so you could see if that reacted to your skin--ask about it.

If you are allergic to parabens, they use that in the capsule of Roche Accutane. Not sure about the other brands. But that type of allergy is pretty uncommon as i understand it, your doctor may be right that there was another cause and it was just coincidental.