Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ashleyg

Waiting period for Accutane?

Hi all - I am going to ask my derm to prescribe me Accutane on my appointment on Aug 1st ( I don't have benefits until then). I've heard some of you talk about a "waiting period" (whether it's because of IPledge, etc). If my derm agrees to prescribe Tane on Aug 1st, how long should I expect to wait until the Tane is actually in my hands??

I'm getting married in March, 2007 and I want to have my course completed by then!

Thanks all!!!

Hi all - I am going to ask my derm to prescribe me Accutane on my appointment on Aug 1st ( I don't have benefits until then). I've heard some of you talk about a "waiting period" (whether it's because of IPledge, etc). If my derm agrees to prescribe Tane on Aug 1st, how long should I expect to wait until the Tane is actually in my hands??

I'm getting married in March, 2007 and I want to have my course completed by then!

Thanks all!!!

I think the waiting period is 30 days.

I think women have to wait aabout a month. In my ipledge folder it has a flow chart for men and women.

Guys just have to get labwork done, sign a consent form, recieve a patient ID card and get our prescriptions.

Women have to sign 2 different forms, get a screening urine/blood pregnancy test, get a ID card, choose 2 forms of birth control, use those for at least 1 month, get a second pregnancy test within the first 5 days of your menstrual period, answer questions on the iPledge system, and then finally get your prescription.

Good luck.

I think women have to wait aabout a month. In my ipledge folder it has a flow chart for men and women.

Guys just have to get labwork done, sign a consent form, recieve a patient ID card and get our prescriptions.

Women have to sign 2 different forms, get a screening urine/blood pregnancy test, get a ID card, choose 2 forms of birth control, use those for at least 1 month, get a second pregnancy test within the first 5 days of your menstrual period, answer questions on the iPledge system, and then finally get your prescription.

Good luck.

What if I'm already on Birth Control? Will my waiting period be shorter? I've been on BC for 6 months...

Waiting period? :S assume all you guys arent from England then?

No, United States... Too many damn restrictions here :wall:

:eh:

How hard is it for you lot to get roaccutane then?

I had it within 5 mins of being prescribed it. (had to wait for blood tests before hand though)

I was under the impression America's health care was better than ours...

my family doctor only mentioned the birth defect and depression thing. She didnt say anything about the other rare side effects. I'm assuming because they're super rare. Like muscles and stomach getting messed up, eyes going bad, brain getting messed up. I know that all drugs have side effects, I just am aware (as we all are) that TANE isn't taken as lightly as most other common drugs. : - / Yeah.. i guess i can take her word for it.

move to canada for 6months,there no waiting period.

Im sorry that you guys have to go through all that,i feel for you

:eh:

How hard is it for you lot to get roaccutane then?

I had it within 5 mins of being prescribed it. (had to wait for blood tests before hand though)

I was under the impression America's health care was better than ours...

The reason for the waiting period is iPledge, the system put into place by the FDA to try to eliminate accutane exposed pregnancies. Basically the prescribing doctor, the pharmacy where you get the script filled, and the drug wholesaler have to be registered with iPledge or else the drug will not be dispensed. after a registered doctor prescribes accutane they must then register the patient. If female, the patient must take a pregnancy test, go on birth control (2 forms), wait 30 days and then take another pregnancy test. If both tests are negative (and put into the iPledge system) they can fill the script.

Every 30-32 days all patients,both male and female, have to be examined by the doctor and take a blood test. Females are also required to take a pregnancy test. The doctor sends the test results in to iPledge and if everything is ok the the patient has 7 days to get their prescription filled (females must also take a quiz on iPledges website before their prescription can be filled.) If a patient isn't seen by a doctor every 30-32 days or waits longer than 7 days to get their script filled treatment is suspended for 30 days.

Personally I think iPledge is a bit over kill, of course it is important to prevent pregnancy while being treated with accutane but is a national registry with so many hoops to jump through really necessary? Also why is it necessary for men to register. I guess the FDA wants to keep track of everyone on the drug but still iPledge goes a bit too far.