Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Addi

Do birth control pills help with acne??

I am going to my OB tomorrow to request some BC pills in the hopes of clearing up my skin.

Part of me wonders if this new round of acne isnt a result of weaning my year old baby and

therefore, my period is getting ready to return. I wonder if it isnt hormonal????

Has anyone had any expereince with their skin clearing up after going on the pill & if

so which one?

TIA! :cool:

I'm on Diane right now, and it seems to be helping with my hormonal acne. It pretty much blocks the hormone, androgen, which produces oil, so therefore you stop breaking out. My friend has been on it for about 3-4 months and her skin cleared right up.

I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo for about a year and it made my acne worse. It also would make my skin dark in spots and it wouldn't slough off. It was especially pronounced around where I break out. My doctor said this is common. I guess the pill tricks your body into thinking it is pregnant so you go through some of the same hormonal changes including hyperpigmentation. I got off the birth control and within weeks all of that dark skin was gone.

I've been on birth control for about 5 years and it has been a big help in controlling my acne, though it's definitely not a cure. I would suggest still sticking with the CSR to work on controlling the acne on the outside while the BC works on controlling it from the inside.

I've been on birth control for about 5 years and it has been a big help in controlling my acne, though it's definitely not a cure. I would suggest still sticking with the CSR to work on controlling the acne on the outside while the BC works on controlling it from the inside.

what bc do you use?

My BCPs (OTC Lo first, then Desogen) helped with my body acne, but did very little for my face. I cleared up a bit, but not enough that anyone besides me would notice. I had high hopes for the pill with my skin, too, but it turned out to be just another disappointing treatment. I have quit birth control because of the severe mood swings and depression I was experiencing on the pill, and now I rely solely on Dan's regimen to keep my skin clear. I can tell that my acne got worse when I stopped taking the pill because despite the massive amounts of benzoyl peroxide I use, some jawline pimples still got through. Do NOT quit birth control without having some other acne treatment at hand, since for many women it gets pretty bad once they stop even if it was mild acne before.

I started back on bc about a month ago, and I think it's helping. Im on Yasmin, which is supposed to be good for acne and low side effect also. I have a 15 month old, and while pregnancy was great for my skin, nursing has NOT been. Ortho Tricyclen worked for me in the past, but I didn't like some of the other side effects. So far so good w/ the Yasmin, though

Your BC and how it works with your skin all depends. I tried Ortho, and broke out even worse. That's because it is a Phasic pill, meaning it increases and decreases the amount of estrogen and other hormones throughout the month. Not good! That was at my worse point. Then, I have tried Nicerette, Low-Ostrogel 28s, Aviane,

Yasmin, and Lessina tablets, just to name a few. Well, unlucky for me, nothing worked. I probaby had the best results with Yasmin, thought. Good luck.

i kno all the friends i have that are girls have real clear skin

an ive said it a few times to them like

"your lucky your skins so clear"

an they all say

"na im on the pill arnt i thats why im so clear"

so i gues that sorta answers your original topic question.

but not from my personal opinion as ima BOY hehe :D

I've been on ortho for a few years and it has definitely controlled my acne but not completely eliminated it. I still get hormonal breakouts during about the same time of my cyle every month

Does anyone know if maybe a different brand might work better?

I am going to my OB tomorrow to request some BC pills in the hopes of clearing up my skin.

Part of me wonders if this new round of acne isnt a result of weaning my year old baby and

therefore, my period is getting ready to return. I wonder if it isnt hormonal????

Has anyone had any expereince with their skin clearing up after going on the pill & if

so which one?

TIA! :cool:

i would guess that the acne is hormonal bc i know after my mother and uring her pregnancys she would get a small breakout... i would never use BC pills too many risks and most of the time u gain about 15lbs ... ummm u lose your libido for alot of women .. and others suffer severe mood swings.

i would guess that the acne is hormonal bc i know after my mother and uring her pregnancys she would get a small breakout... i would never use BC pills too many risks and most of the time u gain about 15lbs ... ummm u lose your libido for alot of women .. and others suffer severe mood swings.

Yeah, when I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo I gained weight. I'm not sure how much because I don't weigh myself. It was a noticable difference though and I'm 5'9" so I would say it was at least 10 pounds. My libido decreased a lot! I also got grumpy. Too many side effects for me. I waited a good 6 months for them to go away but they never did so I got off.

what bc do you use?

I use orthotricyclen but for a lot of women its hormones are too strong. My sister uses orthotricyclen lo.