Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've used Purpose and Cetaphil, wondering what opther good products are out there, preferably in pump form.

thanks.

I use Natures Cure, not the pill and soap form, the kit with cleanser, toner, and moisturizer, and I've really noticed a difference. It's good stuff :)

neutrogena oil free acne wash!!!!!

just started to use this and what a big improvement on my blackheads i can barely see them now!! its only been a week!!!

used to use cetaphil only then went to purpose (irritated my skin)

cetaphil is still great but doesnt contain any acne fighting ingredients like the neutrogena.

You guys really like Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash? No offense, but I think you're in the minority there based on the reviews I've read for it over on Makeup Alley. Awful, irritating stuff, it is; in fact, I think it's the most noticeably irritating cleanser I've ever used. It was one of the first acne products I tried back when I knew nothing about skin care and ate up every word that a commercial said praising some "special" acne treatment. Long story short, it left my skin a dry, flaky mess and worsened my breakouts due to the irritation it caused. My experience seems to be pretty common.

The reason that the Oil-Free Acne Wash is so irritating is due to the surfectants it uses, which are extremely harsh. Acne isn't caused by dirty skin; cleansers won't scrub down inside the pore where the real problem lies.

Ah, but wait, you might think, this cleanser has 2% salicylic acid in it, which means that it will help unclog my pores. Although saliclic acid does work to exfoliate within the pore, it is ineffective in products that have a pH of higher than 4, and most cleasers have a pH of over 5. Hypathetically, let's just say that this Neutrogena cleanser is the exception and has a pH of 4 or lower. Well, even so, most of the salicylic acid would be washed away before it could do too much. So then you might think, what if I let the cleanser sit on my skin so that the salicylic acid could penetrate? You could do that, but if the salicylic acid were left on the skin long enough to exfoliate within the pore, the surfectants would be left on long enough to irritate the skin (Which they do in this cleanser without even sitting on the skin anyway!).

Your cleanser should gently remove dead skin cells, debris, and excess sebum from the skin's surface- that's it. Cleansers that attempt to purge the skin are likely doing more harm than good, worsening acne as a result.

Some better cleansers you can try are:

Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Cleanser

Phisoderm Deep Cleaning Cleanser, Normal to Oily Skin

If your having success with the Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash (which is a good cleanser), though, meaning that it cleanses your skin without drying it out or otherwise irritating it, why do you need to change? Leave-on treatments are what really do the work in treating acne, so if you're expecting a miracle in your complexion due to switching cleansers you likely won't get one.

I saw some bad reviews (and some good reviews) for Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash but decided to give it a try b/c my derm recommended it. So far (its been about a week and a half) I really like it- I definitely think it is fading red marks that I have had stubbornly for months but have drastically faded in the past week or so. It does leave my skin a little tight right after so I always moisturize. I think it might be too drying for me in the winter, but right now with the summer humidity making my skin even more oily, this stuff has been great. It's easy to find and not that expensive so its worth a shot. I wouldn't use it right before BP or any other drying/irritating treatment though.