Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JR86

Accutane blood test.

Is the blood test usually administered by the derm, or do you have to go to the hospital to get it done? I know you have to see the derm every month but do you hav to go elsewhere for you blood work?

they shoulda given u a referral list of blood labs. if u dont have insurance u better call around since prices (like that of accutane at pharmacies) can vary by hundreds of dollars.

depends on the derm's office... mine does the blood work and sends it out. My primary doctor requires me to go to a lab for bloodwork, call the office and ask them.

what if you've already had bloodwork done not particular for getting accutane, but just general bloodwork? Can I still use those blood results to get a prescription from my derm?

how current does the bloodwork have to be? I got general bloodwork done about 2 1/2 months ago from my GP. Can that still count?

I'll be devastated if I couldn't start my course by August. I know tane will clear me up by the end of the month before school starts. Before I made the decision to finally get on the tane, I booked a non-refundable trip to see my parents beginning next month and I leave this saturday. I can't see doctors where my parents live and my derms appointment is this Wednesday meaning I only have about 3 days before Saturday to get all the paperwork done and blood work so that I can be prescribed my medication. I have to be referred to my GP get bloodwork. Getting an appointment on time to get bloodwork at my GP is a whole different story! Then there's the Ipledge issue! This is horrible!!

what if you've already had bloodwork done not particular for getting accutane, but just general bloodwork? Can I still use those blood results to get a prescription from my derm?

how current does the bloodwork have to be? I got general bloodwork done about 2 1/2 months ago from my GP. Can that still count?

Probably not. General bloodwork is unlikely to have tested the liver enzymes and done a complete lipid profile. If it did, your doctor will probably want new bloodwork for their own Accutane paper trail. Not to mention that you'll need pregnancy testing if you are female, and most doctors do that at the same time as the other testing.

I'll be devastated if I couldn't start my course by August. I know tane will clear me up by the end of the month before school starts.

A piece of advise - don't get too hung up on your timeline, and especially don't expect Accutane to clear you within some particular amount of time. You might get lucky and clear immediately, but it may not clear you until your course is over. There's no way to predict it. So don't get too attached to being clear by this date or that - just work towards starting your course ASAP and then take it one day at a time.