Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chris_284

Time to take another go at the CSR

BACKGROUND

Quick background. Acne for 10+ years. I would say it medium. Acne on cheeks and temple area, shoulders and back. I'd say about 100+ pimples total on my cheeks and temple alone. Tried CSR back in february. Did it for one month using Cetaphil bar for washing and shaving, dans bp gel, and cetaphil moisturizer. Gave up after 4 weeks... will explain down below. Skip ahead a few months later now to last month... tried jessfoliation with vitamin basis bar and polysporin. Redness of all acne went down quite noticeably... but after 2-3 weeks caused me to severely breakout which has never happened to me in my life, and i got some cysts which i havent had in over 5 years, and also got alot of white heads which i rarely get.

Now... after reading a bit... i want to go back on the CSR. Because i beleive its methods are proven... and there is a scientific backing to it which is what i value the highest i think.

WHY I QUIT THE FIRST TIME: The reason i quit the first time is... after 4 weeks... my skin had gotten a little worse but not alot... but the main thing i hated was that my face was really red. My forehead remained a normal color as i applied nothing to it, but my cheeks etc , everything below my eyes looked like i had gotten a tan. So i quit for the following two reasons... redness of the face... and constant greasy look to my face which i dont get naturally. I now attribute the greasy look to cetaphil moisturizer. As for the redness... if you were to ask me whether which i wold rather have... the 100 pimples i have right now... or a completely clear face... but you have to be red from the eyes down... i would choose the acne in a heart beat. I'd say thats because after about my 4th year of having acne i just stopped caring. Like... going from about 50 pimples on my face to 100 in the past 4 weeks hasnt affected me a bit. I'm like the perfect test case... go ahead and try whatever on me... it doesnt matter if it goes one way or the other... that just tells me its doesnt work... lets try something else to find the cure.

Main Question - (Skip ahead to here if you dont want to read the background)

So... in designing a CSR that is for me... i NEED the following two things. A) No redness. If the CSR is gonna give me a red face again like the last time i was on it... i'd rather not do it. B) A non gresy moisturizer. Cetaphil made me look so shiney, greasy, and my face felt gross. Once again... if you didnt read the background... i'd rather have a lot of acne over a completely clear face that looks red and greasy.

I currently have some Vitamin Basis Bars, and some of dans bp gel left. So... i need a great moisturizer... and a good facial cleanser if people out there dont think i should use the vitamin basis bar.

Then i will take another stab at doing the CSR IF AND ONLY IF... no redness... no greasiness, lol.

I live in canada, and will order off the net if that's what i need to do[its where i got the basis and dans bp from].

A quick note to add:

I noticed one person using a combo of moisturizers. One in the morn... and one in the eve. I am also willing to do this. Post your recommendations on what's best for my situation/needs and i'll give it another shot. Thanks all.

Well you're gonna get the redness no matter what if you're gonna be using BP. Maybe you should just start with a smaller amount and work your way up so your skin gets adjusted without turning bright red. The "greasy" look is most likely because of the SPF in the moisturizer. I feel that you do not need SPF even if you are using BP if you simply do not go out in the sun AT ALL. I spend maybe 2-3 minutes total in the sun, from going from my house to my car and then getting out and going to whatever BUILDING I need to go to. So if you're not out in the sun for more than 10 minutes a day, ditch the SPF. I am using Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Facial Lotion which I DO NOT recommend for you because it has an AHA in it which will make your face red, but I just switched today and got off the one with the SPF and hopefully the greasy look goes down.

The ultimate question that you need to ask yourself is if the redness for 2-3 months is worth a lifetime of a clearer complexion? I am not sure if you're going to be 100% clear, but I know it will get you clearer. If you ask me, I think going through the "pain" of being red for a couple to a few months is worth it to have better skin because the redness will eventually go down. You said you were only on it for 4 weeks, thats barely enough time to see ANY results because it takes a clogged pore to turn into a visible head 8-12 weeks. So any "results" you saw were not going to be long term results. I suggest that you not waste your time if you're not going to put the time into it and dedicate at least 2-3 months towards it.. and you will be rewarded and you will not regret it.

That's another issue I have with the regimen. I see the copyrights of this site since 97... so i'm assuming Dan has been on the regimen for the better half of this decade. That's a long time. That means... let's say 12 weeks in... i get clear... the redness goes down, and i'm lookin much better etc. I have to then keep the regimen up for the duration of my lifetime. I have read posts of people saying they were clear up to 4 months... and then when they stopped using their acne got worse than it ever was in their life.[now this obviously isn't proven by just reading a few posts, as it could be attributed to other things]. So... A) IF the regimen makes me clear X amout of months in... and i continue sticking to the regimen for years afterwards... is it GUARANTEED to keep me clear, and does it ensure that i never break out badly again[minus the few pimples here and there that are to bed expected? and B) You really do have to keep the regimen up for a lifetime after you clear up dont you? Lastly C) What's the correlation about going out into the sun without spf and acne? Because I haven't heard of this[i'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to acne]... because i do spend alot of time in the sun. Does excessive sun make acne worse? What the correlation here.

Thanks for the reply :)

Well, how old are you? If you're still young you may just be in the acne phase and may eventually grow out of it. I mean I wouldn't mind using BP for the rest of my life if it kept my 100% clear, but 80% of adults claim that they breakout anyway, so I dunno, its your choice if spending 20 extra minutes in the morning and at night is worth a clear face all day. And there is no correlation between the sun and acne, but BP makes your skin much more sensitive so if you go out without SPF, you can burn a lot more easily or an extreme would be skin cancer.

BACKGROUND

WHY I QUIT THE FIRST TIME: The reason i quit the first time is... after 4 weeks... my skin had gotten a little worse but not alot... but the main thing i hated was that my face was really red. My forehead remained a normal color as i applied nothing to it, but my cheeks etc , everything below my eyes looked like i had gotten a tan. So i quit for the following two reasons... redness of the face... and constant greasy look to my face which i dont get naturally. I now attribute the greasy look to cetaphil moisturizer. As for the redness... if you were to ask me whether which i wold rather have... the 100 pimples i have right now... or a completely clear face... but you have to be red from the eyes down... i would choose the acne in a heart beat. I'd say thats because after about my 4th year of having acne i just stopped caring. Like... going from about 50 pimples on my face to 100 in the past 4 weeks hasnt affected me a bit. I'm like the perfect test case... go ahead and try whatever on me... it doesnt matter if it goes one way or the other... that just tells me its doesnt work... lets try something else to find the cure.

heyyy chris... i had the tanning problem too, and i'm back again for attempt #2! (today is day #2.) i responded to somebody else's post on this page, entitled "Still red after 1 Year" and wrote a little about mine...

here's a link, if you wanna read what i wrote: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=106826

did we go thru the same thing?? also, what day is this in your program? have you started yet? maybe you could start today and we could keep track of each other's "tanning" progress (crossing my fingers).... lol

also, what day is this in your program? have you started yet? maybe you could start today and we could keep track of each other's "tanning" progress (crossing my fingers).... lol

The more I read the more I lean towards thinking I'm probably not going to do it. If it were the start of summer, then i would probably take another shot at it... but i have my last year of university coming up in 5 weeks, and if i'am all red I probably won't ever want to go to class[not that I go all that often otherwise anyway, haha]. The reason is... I have come to live with my acne. I don't mind it anymore. However... a red face is something that I am not accustomed to having. The other reason it looked quite stupid was because my forehead is acne free, so i wasn't applying anything there... so half my face was red... and half was white. I looked hilarious lol. Then I think i read some post about someone who was on the regimen... and after they gave it up their redness hadn't gone away many months later. That freaked me out so i stopped using and quit.

Actually I think the main reason I dont want to try again is because of the few posts that are always floating around out there such as "been 5 months... still red, more oily, and acne barely fading". I don't want to put in 40 minutes a day everyday working hard at this[because the more you put effort into it... the more you think about it during the day... and think about getting clear] just to be let down after half a year[and with potentially worse skin]. So this is why I think I will stop doing thigns to my skin altogether. I think I will just wash my face as usual... and maybe apply a moisturizer to keep oil production down.