Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
R.S.

Hardships of an Acne Sufferer

You know what really gets to me? I can follow a diet that works for me and my acne slowly clears up; I haven't been able to do it long enough to get completely clear, but everything heals slowly, a few stubborn nodules may stick around but they slowly fade. If I eat something like gluten once, or god forbid something with dairy in it, I get new nodules that set me back weeks of progress. If I get a few shitty nights of sleep, same deal. A little stress on the job runs me down. But you know what I hate the most? It seems like I have such an allergy to MSG that anytime I breathe in the vapors of it, I get instant breakouts... My eyes start itching, my whole face gets intensely itchy, and the next time I look in the mirror, BOOM there's new pimples just creeping up. And it's hard to avoid - I work around it at my job, it's in the frozen foods my parents cook at home, and it's in the vapors of every fast food restaurant (not that I've had any fast food in years). That really gets me - why is my body so damn sensitive to some things? Was I born like this? No. I remember when acne was never a problem - sure I'd get a few small pimples here and there, but it was noting BP couldn't handle. Nowadays I eat healthier then anyone I know, probably as healthy as any real, hardcore health freak - and I'm content with it, for awhile. But it really gets to me that I can't go out and enjoy a meal with some friends or family without the expected breakout to come... Why is my body not strong enough? Ideally I wish I could eat healthy at home and still be able to go out once in awhile, have a sandwich or something, and not pay the price in a few days. But that just doesn't seem to be the case.

Sometimes it just gets to me and I say fuck it. Last night and this morning would be examples. For the most part the last 2 or 3 weeks I've really come to terms with what kinds of foods cause acne for me and what to avoid. Sure, I've known for the most part for awhile certain things like almonds and excess sugar were culprits, but I never saw the whole big picture until recently. And I've done my best to avoid these things and it helped - until I breathed in the vapors of MSG, and, thinking I wasn't allergic, had a few pumpkin seeds... boom. Breakout city. I can only manage a perfect diet long enough - it's just not the most ideal way to control acne though it definitely works. So yesterday was hot as hell, triple digit temp. weather and lots of humidity. And you know what? I wanted some (dairy free) ice cream. Who wouldn't in that kind of weather, especially when it's available for free at the place you work? I'm just counting the days until it shows up on my skin. This morning I realized, you know what, it's been ages since I had a good cup of coffee. So I had a few blacks, sweetened with just stevia. But shit, I forgot how much I really liked this stuff...

I look at other parts of this forum, like the emotions one where everyone is depressed and wants to kill themselves, feeding into the half truths that dermatologists tell them (go ahead, eat all the sugar and junk food you want! There's NO evidence it could harm your skin!) and buying into the notion that acne free skin can be bought with a bottle of cream. Well, for a lucky few that's the case, but if you get anything more then minor acne, you definitely should look elsewhere. I wish some of these people would open their mind and realize maybe diet does play a role in their skin, maybe they wouldn't be so depressed if they realized there IS a cause other then out of balance hormones. Some people are more senstive to diet then others, of course.

But like I said above, it's just a bitch to live a perfect diet 100 percent of the time. So I put my faith in cleansing. Not washing your face, but internally. I read about people like Denise and Leah, and people on curezone that have clear skin now as a result of liver flushing and bowel cleansing. I read about Chinese Medicine where they believe acne is caused by excess heat, liver stagnancy, dampness in the body (and intestines), and I read about naturopathy and Ayurvedic medicine where acne is a result of digestive problems (correlates with what Chinese Medicine says but in different words) and liver imbalance / too much toxins in the blood. And you know what, it makes a lot of sense. Why does your friend have clear skin yet he smokes and eats Oreos for meals? He was blessed with a stronger constitution, better liver and cleaner body. Sure, he'll pay when he's 40, his organs can't handle the abuse anymore and he's fat and has high cholesterol and adult diabetes, but for now he's clear. If you research deeply, you come to find that American mainstream medicine really contradicts what the rest of the world's medical traditions have been saying for 2,000+ years. You also realize that allopathic medicine doesn't always follow scientific research and exists for the main reason of profit (why would they ever want to cure you? You'd stop buying all their band-aid treatment prescriptions). If you go deep enough, you realize coporate America strongly influences and has penetrated our country for their benefit - through lobbyists in politics, generous donations and corrupt business practices in general. If liver flushing was proven in scientific studies to really remedy all the things it's purported to, would your MD tell you to do it? No. Just like he doesn't tell you to take spirulina or liquid chlorophyll even with all the scientific studies backing it (spirulinasource.com if you're curious). He's ignorant.

I'm putting my faith in cleansing, fully. I started taking Psyllium&Bentonite shakes again, I'm gonna do liver flush number 5 in a few days, and I drink plenty of veggie juices and spirulina. I just hope this stuff pays off in the end and some day I can eat things like gluten on occassion again without paying dearly.

P.S. Google bentonite clay, it's pretty amazing stuff if you don't know already.

P.P.S. Sorry the post was so long, I don't know who will read it all or who will care, but I had to get it out of me. If you came this far, congrats and god bless.

That really sucks. It's a shame to be a slave to your diet. Since you haven't found that your diet alterations have cleared you completely, though they do have an effect and certainly eating the "bad foods" has an effect, have you considered that your problem may be more than related to diet alone? Perhaps there are environmental or genetic factors at work that are out of your control. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble.

There's definitely genetical factors that play into the problem, and I know diet isn't the only thing. But it makes me wonder, acne isn't just skin deep, obviously it's a reaction from the whole body. So could the genetical inheritence be not just an inheritence of acne, but to a liver prone to weakness as well? I never got bad acne until I got off an antibiotic prescription last year, and that's when things exploded, so I think it's a combination of all of the above - genetics, diet, dirty blood from liver / unclean GI tract, environment, etc. But "dirty" intestines definitely had to have a strong factor which over time causes a lower functioning liver......... But you gotta realize, you can adapt your body to handle most any environment - even some people living through the Chernorbyl incident were able to protect themselves through things like detoxifying clays and foods, and that would be one of the worst environment imaginable for the human body.

I think we as a society give way too much weight to genetics. I'm no expert on the study, but can't genetics be influenced by diet and environment? If cancer is genetical yet has only been extremely prevalent for the past 100 years, if I go 5 or 6 generations back in the family tree would cancer even be a thought to my ancestors?

That really sucks. It's a shame to be a slave to your diet. Since you haven't found that your diet alterations have cleared you completely, though they do have an effect and certainly eating the "bad foods" has an effect, have you considered that your problem may be more than related to diet alone? Perhaps there are environmental or genetic factors at work that are out of your control. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble.

RS is liverflushing and bowel cleansing so that he DOESN'T have to be a slave to his diet.

I had twenty cysts on my face, terrible blood sugar problems, and a plethora of other problems when I was almost to the point of suicide. EVERYTHING I ate broke me out. That was when I discovered liverflushing, and I also detoxed all of the mercury and other crap I had in my body...and got a series of colonics. Finally....got rid of the candida that I could never get under control....guess what? I can pretty much eat anything within reason when at one time EVERYTHING I ATE broke me out.

That's the entire point...getting to the ROOT of the problem so that you CAN eat whatever you want. That usually doesn't happen overnight, and took me about 6 months (from October-April) to complete.

Now, if I start to break out, I can narrow it down to three things:

-Candida overgrowth from consuming too much junk (like at x-mas time)

-Liver is congested again (I only flush for maintenance now once every 6-8 months)

-Bowel is dirty

As soon as I address the problem, BAM! I clear up totally. At least NOW I know what the root causes are, and can address the issue and fully eliminate all breakouts.

ps.....great post, RubberSheep!.....msg used to give me terrible reactions to. My tongue would swell and get small bumps all over it......sometimes I'd get a headache, but it always broke me out too.

I think we as a society give way too much weight to genetics. I'm no expert on the study, but can't genetics be influenced by diet and environment? If cancer is genetical yet has only been extremely prevalent for the past 100 years, if I go 5 or 6 generations back in the family tree would cancer even be a thought to my ancestors?

It's a common misconception that cancer has only been prevalent for the last century. Cancer has always been around because we've always rotated around the sun, and have always been exposed to radiation. It's just that in the past, cancer wasn't understood or diagnosed, so people just died of "natural causes" or "old age." Most cancers are caused by a cell's mess-up, either in old age (when the cells have divided so many times that the DNA gets less able to protect itself against abnormal reproductions) or by an EM wave at the right frequency to make a mistake in the DNA--this is the environmental part. Sure, there's more pollutants in the environment now, and certainly our atmosphere is rapidly degrading and we are less protected from harmful EM radiation, but cancer has always been there... we just live longer now and know more about it so it appears to be more prevalent.

And, no, strictly speaking, genetics cannot be influenced by diet or environment. You can only pass on traits that are ingrained in your DNA--thus a parent that is morbidly obese because of environmental factors will not necessarily have naturally obese children, unless they are genetically predisposed to be more likely to be overweight. Genetic pedispositions, on the other hand, are VERY easily influenced by environmnet, thus the child of the above parent could work really hard to ward off obesity through diet and exercise measures, and never be overweight. If you have a genetic predisposition to acne (or breast cancer, or diabetes, etc.), that doesn't mean you won't be able to control or prevent it, it just makes it more likely that you will get it. Same goes for your liver, if you suspect that to be the source of your problem.

You know what really gets to me? I can follow a diet that works for me and my acne slowly clears up; I haven't been able to do it long enough to get completely clear, but everything heals slowly, a few stubborn nodules may stick around but they slowly fade. If I eat something like gluten once, or god forbid something with dairy in it, I get new nodules that set me back weeks of progress. If I get a few shitty nights of sleep, same deal. A little stress on the job runs me down. But you know what I hate the most? It seems like I have such an allergy to MSG that anytime I breathe in the vapors of it, I get instant breakouts... My eyes start itching, my whole face gets intensely itchy, and the next time I look in the mirror, BOOM there's new pimples just creeping up. And it's hard to avoid - I work around it at my job, it's in the frozen foods my parents cook at home, and it's in the vapors of every fast food restaurant (not that I've had any fast food in years). That really gets me - why is my body so damn sensitive to some things? Was I born like this? No. I remember when acne was never a problem - sure I'd get a few small pimples here and there, but it was noting BP couldn't handle. Nowadays I eat healthier then anyone I know, probably as healthy as any real, hardcore health freak - and I'm content with it, for awhile. But it really gets to me that I can't go out and enjoy a meal with some friends or family without the expected breakout to come... Why is my body not strong enough? Ideally I wish I could eat healthy at home and still be able to go out once in awhile, have a sandwich or something, and not pay the price in a few days. But that just doesn't seem to be the case.

Sometimes it just gets to me and I say fuck it. Last night and this morning would be examples. For the most part the last 2 or 3 weeks I've really come to terms with what kinds of foods cause acne for me and what to avoid. Sure, I've known for the most part for awhile certain things like almonds and excess sugar were culprits, but I never saw the whole big picture until recently. And I've done my best to avoid these things and it helped - until I breathed in the vapors of MSG, and, thinking I wasn't allergic, had a few pumpkin seeds... boom. Breakout city. I can only manage a perfect diet long enough - it's just not the most ideal way to control acne though it definitely works. So yesterday was hot as hell, triple digit temp. weather and lots of humidity. And you know what? I wanted some (dairy free) ice cream. Who wouldn't in that kind of weather, especially when it's available for free at the place you work? I'm just counting the days until it shows up on my skin. This morning I realized, you know what, it's been ages since I had a good cup of coffee. So I had a few blacks, sweetened with just stevia. But shit, I forgot how much I really liked this stuff...

I look at other parts of this forum, like the emotions one where everyone is depressed and wants to kill themselves, feeding into the half truths that dermatologists tell them (go ahead, eat all the sugar and junk food you want! There's NO evidence it could harm your skin!) and buying into the notion that acne free skin can be bought with a bottle of cream. Well, for a lucky few that's the case, but if you get anything more then minor acne, you definitely should look elsewhere. I wish some of these people would open their mind and realize maybe diet does play a role in their skin, maybe they wouldn't be so depressed if they realized there IS a cause other then out of balance hormones. Some people are more senstive to diet then others, of course.

But like I said above, it's just a bitch to live a perfect diet 100 percent of the time. So I put my faith in cleansing. Not washing your face, but internally. I read about people like Denise and Leah, and people on curezone that have clear skin now as a result of liver flushing and bowel cleansing. I read about Chinese Medicine where they believe acne is caused by excess heat, liver stagnancy, dampness in the body (and intestines), and I read about naturopathy and Ayurvedic medicine where acne is a result of digestive problems (correlates with what Chinese Medicine says but in different words) and liver imbalance / too much toxins in the blood. And you know what, it makes a lot of sense. Why does your friend have clear skin yet he smokes and eats Oreos for meals? He was blessed with a stronger constitution, better liver and cleaner body. Sure, he'll pay when he's 40, his organs can't handle the abuse anymore and he's fat and has high cholesterol and adult diabetes, but for now he's clear. If you research deeply, you come to find that American mainstream medicine really contradicts what the rest of the world's medical traditions have been saying for 2,000+ years. You also realize that allopathic medicine doesn't always follow scientific research and exists for the main reason of profit (why would they ever want to cure you? You'd stop buying all their band-aid treatment prescriptions). If you go deep enough, you realize coporate America strongly influences and has penetrated our country for their benefit - through lobbyists in politics, generous donations and corrupt business practices in general. If liver flushing was proven in scientific studies to really remedy all the things it's purported to, would your MD tell you to do it? No. Just like he doesn't tell you to take spirulina or liquid chlorophyll even with all the scientific studies backing it (spirulinasource.com if you're curious). He's ignorant.

I'm putting my faith in cleansing, fully. I started taking Psyllium&Bentonite shakes again, I'm gonna do liver flush number 5 in a few days, and I drink plenty of veggie juices and spirulina. I just hope this stuff pays off in the end and some day I can eat things like gluten on occassion again without paying dearly.

P.S. Google bentonite clay, it's pretty amazing stuff if you don't know already.

P.P.S. Sorry the post was so long, I don't know who will read it all or who will care, but I had to get it out of me. If you came this far, congrats and god bless.

Hi i really liked your post and thought id leave a little message.

Anyway my acne started when i was about 14, it was like 3 months after christmas and started off on my cheeks just, eventually getting worse and leaving red marks everywhere. Im annoyed i didnt look into my diet at that age to prevent it but hopefully i still have time - i dnt think i have actual scars just hyperpigmentation.

Fortunately my mam is great and has paid loads for any new crap that claims to "fix" your skin. I never went to a dermatologist because i dont want to be brainwashed into how antibiotics and drugs are the answer - sorry just how i feel about them :unsure:

Anyway, i know myself my acne is internal as my digestive system is pretty much screwed and slow. I tried apple cider vinegar for the past week now and its started to take affect over past 2 days. Although i am going to cut it out because its bad for your teeth. Instead im going to try "flor essence" which is meant to detox your body. Since its a herbal tea and not capsule or tablet form im going to give it the benefit of the doubt.

I feel really bad for you because your so sensitive to foods and the environment. :cry: What makes it worse really is all the hardwork you put into eating a healthy diet and washing your face with all diff products and what do you get for it - Nothing , well nothing compared to your friend who goes to bed with make up on sometimes, rinses there face with a splash of water (if your lucky) and eats loads of fast food.

Lifes great :D lol

So anyway that was just my two cents piece, have you tried any detox products in the past? If you look at my posts i have links of one of them for flor essence which may be of use if you havent tried it. Its even been able to shink tumours :shock:

Best of luck ;)

Remember we're ALL in the same boat so dont get too down ( i dnt want no hole in my boat :naughty: lol)

Take care and keep us updated on your progress x

^ ^ ^ I've done lots of research on detoxing, too much in fact. From what I can tell, there's slow ways to detox and there's faster ways. The fastest way to detox is fasting on pure water or veggie juice - your body goes into hardcore cleansing mode this way. This is one of the reasons most religious traditions have some form of fasting - physical (and spiritual) cleansing. You can clean your entire body in a matter of days or weeks this way - the trouble is, you clean things so fast that toxic shit has no where to go out your body so it sticks around and makes you feel horrible. I did a 3 day juice fast and had a big breakout from it - felt better at the end, but the breakout was huge. I realized I don't have a strong enough liver and digestive to fast like this, so fasting isn't for me.

The slowest way to detox is through a healthy diet, high on fruits and vegetables with other things like grains, legumes, and a minimal of animal products. It can take years to clean up this way.

ACV will also detox you to a point, as will lemon juice. It can't handle everything, but it will speed the process a small bit by breaking down old things in the body and decongesting the liver. By the way, if you want to save your teeth after you drink the ACV, brush with baking soda - the base properies of it neutralize the acid of ACV, and it's good to brush with baking soda anyways - really cleans things nice.

When you get serious about detoxing you run into things like healing clays, chlorella, chlorophyll, juicing, increased fiber, liver flushing, liver enhancing herbs and foods (broccoli is a big one), things like that.

I looked up Flor Essence to see the ingredients - looks good to me. But herbs are just one side of detoxing, so drinking it would be a slow process in my opinion. I use things like that already though, not any products but just similar ingredients like dandelion and shit like that, blood cleansers.

You may want to look into triphala, which is what I'm trying to get right now. It's an indian herbal blend, reputed to be very strengthening to the digestive system as well as a slow, gentle detoxifier and all around tonic. In India they use it for acne as well as any digestive upset. It's also really high in vitamin C. Some chinese herbal blends could have similar effects too.

Hey guy,

I can feel the emotion thru your words. How many times have you flushed your liver and in what kind of time period? I am surprised you are on your 5th flush and don't see any improvement...

Have you tried to cure candida? It might be because of the antibiotics you used that caused candida growth.

Yep, been there done that with the candida. It gave me a good leg rash, unbearable at times, but after diligent dieting, antifungals and probiotics the rash never came back, I stopped getting any type of die off from antifungals, and my body acne got better. Right now I think the P&B shakes should do a good job of cleaning the GI tract up, if I can stick with them for long enough...

But yeah I'll see improvment from a flush for about the week after it but then things go bad again, which would be explained by stones further back in the liver pushing their way up to the front. First, second and third flushes I did within 2 weeks of eachother, then the fourth one I waited 3 or 4 weeks... can't remember. But yeah tomorrow will be number 5. For a little while I was able to eat pumpkin seeds with zero problem, but then suddenly they started breaking me out again. But after every liver flush I think there's progress because I feel the bile really WOOSH out of my liver after eating fat, and this isn't any sort of placebo for sure... Like I said, I'm putting all my faith in liver flushing and colon cleansing.

Im doing my 4th flush this week.

6 months ago i had cysts all over my face, now i don't get cyst anymore. UNLESS i cheat, or overeat, or get stressed or whatever. Then I know what to expect. It sucks. But I to have my faith in cleansing, and that It will enable me to enjoy a little cheat every now and then.

Hang in there man.

WHat are you doing for your liver flush rubber sheep. I want to try this. I did this a long time a go with olive oil lemon etc., but would like to know a really strong way to flush. Thanks!

Just pull up the past few pages of this board....RS had a post just last week about flushing. Use the search engine tool, that's what it's there for. This has already been covered a lot on the board.

Hey rubber sheep,

I can feel where you're coming from. I used to be in the same place. My skin was EXTREMELY sensitive to basically everything. But I got out of that phase through a lot of research and experimentation. Here's a few things I did, that I hope might help you on you journey:

1. I drastically increased the amount of healthy fat in my diet. Mainly I added tons of saturated fat. Fatty meats (chicken legs, steak), raw cream and raw whole milk. Some people will tell you saturated fat is bad for you, but this is BS in my experience. My acne drastically improved after this and not only that, but I stopped getting colds and flus all the time.

2. I started taking probiotics. I recommend Probiotics Plus first, then Flora Source (search for it on Google) and then Primal Defense (not the best choice, but it's available in stores). This greatly improved my digestion. If you are not having 1-3 well-formed bowel movements a day, you are not healthy and your skin will suffer.

3. I stopped all my supplements (except probiotics). The supplements I was taking were making me feel better in the short-term, but causing long-term imbalances in my body. I strongly believe that whole foods are the best thing for everyone and supplements usually cause more problems than they help. I really don't recommend cleansing either for the same reason.

I hope these things help you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Hey rubber sheep,

I can feel where you're coming from. I used to be in the same place. My skin was EXTREMELY sensitive to basically everything. But I got out of that phase through a lot of research and experimentation. Here's a few things I did, that I hope might help you on you journey:

1. I drastically increased the amount of healthy fat in my diet. Mainly I added tons of saturated fat. Fatty meats (chicken legs, steak), raw cream and raw whole milk. Some people will tell you saturated fat is bad for you, but this is BS in my experience. My acne drastically improved after this and not only that, but I stopped getting colds and flus all the time.

2. I started taking probiotics. I recommend Probiotics Plus first, then Flora Source (search for it on Google) and then Primal Defense (not the best choice, but it's available in stores). This greatly improved my digestion. If you are not having 1-3 well-formed bowel movements a day, you are not healthy and your skin will suffer.

3. I stopped all my supplements (except probiotics). The supplements I was taking were making me feel better in the short-term, but causing long-term imbalances in my body. I strongly believe that whole foods are the best thing for everyone and supplements usually cause more problems than they help. I really don't recommend cleansing either for the same reason.

Do you take the probiotics with meals or inbetween?

Rubber sheep,

can you say if the bentonite clay has reduced breakouts? How often do you use it and do you use it primarily with the fiber? thank you, all your word described exactly how I feel. Only Im stuck in a non cleansing mode because every time I cleanse I break out and scar. Im looking to cleanse without scarring.

Denise,

I have been reading up on your old posts but must have missed you talking about blood sugar problems. Did you have hypoglycemia by chance and was there a particular cleanse that really did the trick for it or was it just everything combined? thanks

Do you take the probiotics with meals or inbetween?

I take them first thing in the morning, about 30 minutes before breakfast.

Interesting post. I experienced alot of what you are saying when I was trying to rid myself of acne through diet. Whilst treating acne through diet is ultimately aimed at achieving a healthier lifestyle, aspects of it are potentially quite unhealthy - too limited a diet, too much reliance on supplements, too much obssession with food, being unable to socialise freely with friends and family because its virtually impossible to eat a totally 'clean' diet unless you are preparing foods yourself. In the end I felt like my entire life was being organised around my acne and I decided enough was enough and went back to conventional western medicine which meant Accutane. As imperfect as it is (no acne solution is perfect so far as I can tell) so far I haven't regretted my decision at all. Of course, I hope I will continue to feel this way but who knows. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your endeavours - I think that regardless of the way you choose to get rid of acne, the key thing is to just get rid of it.

Hey rubber sheep,

Yeah see, I already do all of this. I've been taking probiotics for months, the only supplements I take now are MSM and L-Glutamine and everything else is either fresh raw juice, healthy whole foods, or superfood supplements like bee pollen, spirulina and maca. You're a protein type if I remember right.. if I did all what you did it would mess with me, but I'm definitely a mixed type so I get it balanced with things like tofu salads, salmon, lots of lentils and some whole gluten free grains. I do get a good amount of plant saturated fat from coconut oil, and a bit of animal from fish or chicken. The last few days I haven't been as strict about diet as before - it's just really hard to live a perfect diet all of the time and I've been working longer hours... Oh well. 5th Liver flush delayed till tomorrow, hope it's another good one as far as bigger stones like number four!

Rubber sheep,

can you say if the bentonite clay has reduced breakouts? How often do you use it and do you use it primarily with the fiber? thank you, all your word described exactly how I feel. Only Im stuck in a non cleansing mode because every time I cleanse I break out and scar. Im looking to cleanse without scarring.

I'm taking it twice a day, after the liver flush tomorrow I'm gonna go do it 3x a day to speed results because my digestive system is very used to a high fiber diet now. But if you don't consistently eat a mostly to all plant based diet (since animal products, no matter what the source, are devoid of fiber), you may want to start it off a little slower... well that's if you do bentonite with a fiber like psyllium but it's strongly recommended. I'm only on day 4 of the whole P&B shake thing again, so I'm not going to say for sure whether it's reducing breakouts. I also haven't been eating the greatest the last few days, nothing too bad unless yukon potatoes, veggie tacos and corn on the cob are considered horrible acne food... but who knows, seeing as how sensitive I am to foods they could make a difference some how.

See, the better part of my cheeks are scarred. I've read that with some natural cleansing and good diet, people's scars will fill themselves in. I figure, either way, it's the big pimples that bother me and I'm just fine living with scarred skin, there's lasers and peels to fix that if necessary years later when I'm not spending money as much on this other stuff. I see people 40 or 50 with scars, I just figure they identify with how I am now because they went through it in their teens. I don't know if bentonite and psyllium are really supposed to give too bad of die off reactions though, unless you're constantly putting bad things back in your system like cigarette smoke, trans fat, the things that are a little harder to get rid of. But I couldn't tell you first hand, when I was doing P&B shakes months ago I was doing a lot of candida cleansing, fasting, and I was really constipated so I was having problems then. If your "regular" they shouldn't be a problem.

Hey rubber sheep,

Yeah see, I already do all of this. I've been taking probiotics for months, the only supplements I take now are MSM and L-Glutamine and everything else is either fresh raw juice, healthy whole foods, or superfood supplements like bee pollen, spirulina and maca. You're a protein type if I remember right.. if I did all what you did it would mess with me, but I'm definitely a mixed type so I get it balanced with things like tofu salads, salmon, lots of lentils and some whole gluten free grains. I do get a good amount of plant saturated fat from coconut oil, and a bit of animal from fish or chicken. The last few days I haven't been as strict about diet as before - it's just really hard to live a perfect diet all of the time and I've been working longer hours... Oh well. 5th Liver flush delayed till tomorrow, hope it's another good one as far as bigger stones like number four!

I really suggest you add more animal products to your diet. Mixed types should be eating flesh meat at every meal. This means chicken, beef, fish, etc.. Animal flesh should be your primary food, with vegetables as your secondary. Mixed types also do best without grains. Try replacing grains with fruit.

Also there are a lot of health problems with tofu, so I suggest cutting that out. Fruit juice is also one of the worst foods for a mixed or protein type, so you might want to replace that with whole fruit.

You know you are eating right when you are satisfied. If you aren't eating healthy, you will crave "cheat" foods. When you are eating right, you won't even feel the urge to cheat at all.

I'm sorry HealthDude, but I disagree. I don't think grains are bad one meal a day as long as their gluten free, and they've had zero effect on my skin. I also do a lot of exercise, ride a bike to and from work, and spend a lot of time moving for the most part. Try finding a good long term energy source that isn't grains in that case, they're simply one of the best foods for an athletic type and something that fruits can't replace. I believe if you live a sedentary life, grains should be avoided or minimized, but otherwise they don't hurt as long as you avoid the gluten ones like wheat if they're a problem (in my case that's a YES!). Quinoa is a supergrain, google it. It plays a good part in my diet. I'm really gonna have to post an excerpt of the benefits of brown rice too........ hang on a minute while I get my book...

"In addition to reducing blood-sugar problems, rice bran is thought to be one of the most nutrient dense studies ever studied... It embodies over 70 antioxidants that can protect from cellular damage...Rice bran contains unique forms of the antioxidant Vitamin E. These are rare "tocotrineols" that lower excesses of fat and cholesterol in the body and provide greater antitumor protection than any previously known tocotrienol form of Vitamin E.

The oil in rice bran appears t have potent antioxidant value... The ideal type [of polysaccharide] for stimulating immunity and controlling high blood sugar leading to diabetes and obesity are derived from fiber, like the [those] in rice bran. [Rice bran contains] an abyndance of B vitamins and trace minerals.

Gamma-oryzanol, a formidable antioxidant, found only in rice bran in meaningful quantities, strengthens musculature of the body whole converting fat to lean body mass. It improves blood circulation to the extremeites, overcoomes clots and blood stagnation in general, and improves hormonal balance through regulation of the pituatary gland.

Alpha-lipoic acid, a polyphenol antioxidant, promotes liver restoration, slows the aging process and converts glucose to energy."

And just to summarize the rest, rice bran also contains glutathione peroxidase, the strongest antioxidant your body can create on it's own as well as a strong detoxifier, as well as coenzyme Q10, proanthocyanidins (one of the things that also makes grapes so healthy), and lecithin.

This is all from a book called Healing with Whole foods, by Paul Pitchford. I hope all this excerpt will atleast change your stance atleast one tiny bit that grains are useless for everyone except a strong carb type.....

BACK TO THE REST OF MY POST...

Tofu does have health problems, though much overemphasized, and is not a bad thing to eat once in awhile. It IS a bad thing to base your diet around, but a container of it every two weeks isn't going to be a problem, I've researched both sides of the argument and am well aware of the alleged dangers. Moderation is the key.

I also strongly disagree with the notion of eating animal flesh at every single meal, that's protein overkill unless you're a protein type or hardcore athlete. Keep in mind I've been through this before, when I was doing a candida diet I'd eat meat every night and eggs more days a week then not, and my acne was more cystic then even after the candida left. I don't feel satisfied off just a salad, but when I add fish or tofu or tempeh then I'm good.

I don't juice fruit or drink the juice, every juice I drink is pure raw veggie juice.

By the way, where do you justify that MIXED types should eat animals every meal? I'll agree that protein types may want to consider that, but definitely not mixed. By the way, me + dairy and red meat don't mix. This is one of the reasons I realized I may not be a protein type after all, since protein types do BEST on heavy red meats. And I do WORST on this........ fish is my most tolerated animal and that's generally the lighest meat.

I've tried replacing the grains with fruit in the past, to be honest their two different things man - fruit is a simple sugar and you shouldn't have more then 3 or 4 fruits in a day ideally. Grains are a complex carb, and the ones I eat have a good amount of complete vegetarian protein. I know Mercola loves to demonize grains but I really don't think they're the terrible food group he does. With that said GLUTEN grains ruin my skin, but amaranth, quinoa and brown rice really are fine and don't do a thing. To cut out grains completely would make an already strict diet even stricter.

I really appreciate your advise and your notion to help, I just stress that after months and months of careful observation and thought, I've actually found the key to getting clear skin and feeling good. The real problem and one of the points of this post is that my body is still extremely senstive and I break out from things like inhaling the vapors of MSG, something I'm exposed to in my own workplace and house when people are cooking foods with MSG in it... So my perfect diet all goes to the shitter after that, or a few bad night's rest just because the temperature is so high and humid right now.....

I'm sorry HealthDude, but I disagree. I don't think grains are bad one meal a day as long as their gluten free, and they've had zero effect on my skin. Tofu does have health problems, though much overemphasized, and is not a bad thing to eat once in awhile. It IS a bad thing to base your diet around, but a container of it every two weeks isn't going to be a problem, I've researched both sides of the argument and am well aware of the alleged dangers. Moderation is the key.

I also strongly disagree with the notion of eating animal flesh at every single meal, that's protein overkill unless you're a protein type or hardcore athlete. Keep in mind I've been through this before, when I was doing a candida diet I'd eat meat every night and eggs more days a week then not, and my acne was more cystic then even after the candida left. I don't feel satisfied off just a salad, but when I add fish or tofu or tempeh then I'm good.

I don't juice fruit or drink the juice, every juice I drink is pure raw veggie juice.

By the way, where do you justify that MIXED types should eat animals every meal? I'll agree that protein types may want to consider that, but definitely not mixed. By the way, me + dairy and red meat don't mix. This is one of the reasons I realized I may not be a protein type after all, since protein types do BEST on heavy red meats. And I do WORST on this........ fish is my most tolerated animal and that's generally the lighest meat.

I've tried replacing the grains with fruit in the past, to be honest their two different things man - fruit is a simple sugar and you shouldn't have more then 3 or 4 fruits in a day ideally. Grains are a complex carb, and the ones I eat have a good amount of complete vegetarian protein. I know Mercola loves to demonize grains but I really don't think they're the terrible food group he does. With that said GLUTEN grains ruin my skin, but amaranth, quinoa and brown rice really are fine and don't do a thing. To cut out grains completely would make an already strict diet even stricter.

I really appreciate your advise and your notion to help, I just stress that after months and months of careful observation and thought, I've actually found the key to getting clear skin and feeling good. The real problem and one of the points of this post is that my body is still extremely senstive and I break out from things like inhaling the vapors of MSG, something I'm exposed to in my own workplace and house when people are cooking foods with MSG in it... So my perfect diet all goes to the shitter after that, or a few bad night's rest just because the temperature is so high and humid right now.....

OK, sorry for sounding like a diet nazi, it sounds like you've thought this through. I really remember being sensitive to so many different things just like you've been writing about, so I'd love to help you any way I can, but perhaps I'm trying too hard lol.

The diet recommendations for the mixed type diet come directly from Dr. Mercola's professional nutritionists at the Optimal Wellness Center. Mixed types should eat animal flesh mixed with vegetables first thing at every meal. Optionally, if they are still hungry afterward, they can have some higher carb foods such as fruit or a small amount of grains.

If you can't tolerate dairy, and you live in California, try raw dairy. If you don't live in California, it will be very difficult to get, although you may be able to get it from a local farmer or order it online.

Even as a protein type, I don't actually eat much red meat. It all depends on your tastes. I prefer chicken legs. Fish can also be a great food for protein types and mixed types. Wild pacific salmon is a great food for everyone but carb types.

I see you quoted the unedited version of my post, you should go back to the top and read again cuz I added some stuff... just want to dispel a myth that some grains are complete nutritional uselessness... :)

I see you quoted the unedited version of my post, you should go back to the top and read again cuz I added some stuff... just want to dispel a myth that some grains are complete nutritional uselessness... :)

Hey I don't think any grains are useless at all. In fact, grains are the only reason we're able to support our large modern civilizations.

However, if you're trying to achieve optimal health, grains are usually determental. Perhaps we disagree on this part, but that's ok.

Weston A. Price did studies on hunter-gatherer cultures who had lots of grains in their diet versus hunter-gatherer cultures who did not and instead ate lots of animal products. Those who ate primarily animal products were taller and stronger than the grain-eating cultures and dominated the grain-eating cultures.