Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gttraveling

Fraxel While Active Acne

I intend to get Fraxel soon. I am debating between this November starting my session of 6 or doing it next May or June. My thought about doing it sooner is that I am only getting older. However, i still have active acne and figure that instead of fraxel, I could just get some more restylane injections to hold me over.

Anyway, I had a question about people with active acne who are getting Fraxel.

I talked to my derm, and I've heard on this board, that I should be off my current medications.

I currently take topicals: tazorac at night, duac at day. Generally, it works, though occassionally I get cysts still (and new scars!)

Questions:

* Is it true that I have to be off of meds to do Fraxel? If so, I will certainly continue to get even more acne.

* What happens if I have a zit/cyst in an area that is being fraxeled? Will the fraxel evap that zit or make it worse?

* Does Fraxel *cause* acne? I've heard that Smoothbeam, for instance, can cause acne breakouts.

I know that I could have posted this on the enormously large Fraxel thread, but thought that this topic of undergoing a treatment while still having acne is a slightly different issue.

Two weeks before my first fraxel my derm put me on taz. He told me to stop using it a couple days before the first treament and then resume when the flaking from the fraxel had stopped. Of course by the time my first treament rolled around I was purging like crazy, no cysts but quite a few active pimples. They went ahead with the treatment and my skin healed nicely. I now use the tazorac until a few days before a fraxel and then wait two weeks to start again. Any pimples on my face get evaporated. Good luck.

hmm, thanks. this is interesting.

First, one would think that Tazorac would be additive to the healing process since it helps continue regeneration of the skin? (of course, it also irritates it).

I wonder if the meds improve or reduce efficacy of the procedure... i would venture a guess that it *could* improve efficacy, but who knows.

truth of it all i bet, is that the derms themselves haven't the faintest idea. nor do they really care, as long as they make the big bucks.

as my derm told me, "This is a money driven business. Be careful."

Anyone else have experiences with active acne while on Fraxel? And have solutions to this? Faye, you got zits but not cysts, but I am prone to getting cysts, so I am still a bit worried...

Anyone else have experiences with active acne while on Fraxel? And have solutions to this? Faye, you got zits but not cysts, but I am prone to getting cysts, so I am still a bit worried...

I just had my 7th Fraxel on Friday. I do break out on my forehead for whatever reason 4 or 5 days after a treatment. But they are tiny and clear up within a week. I haven't had any cysts since starting the treatments except for a small one underneath my jaw. And since the laser didn't treat that area, I know it wasn't caused by the Fraxel.

thanks widgie... were you already prone to breaking out in acne or were you (fortunately) cleared up permanently/semi permanently (w/o the use of drugs) by the time you underwent treatment?

thanks widgie... were you already prone to breaking out in acne or were you (fortunately) cleared up permanently/semi permanently (w/o the use of drugs) by the time you underwent treatment?

No, I definitely wasn't cleared up by the time I started Fraxel. In fact, I had to reschedule my first treatment because I felt like I was too broken out and didn't want them to have to skip areas. I did start taking B5 a few weeks before my first treatment and still am, so that might have helped to keep things under control.

get a high dose of antibiotic to take before and after. that will ensure no acne. make sure its not a photosensitive one like minocin. although a few people took that no problem with fraxel.