Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
floss

Notes on cholestrol

I was a bit cautious about eating too many eggs and avocados due to their high cholestrol content, but I read an article this week saying that avocados contain a supernutrient that stops cholestrol being absorbed in the intestine, and that moreover very little of the cholestrol in eggs is actually absorbed into the body.

Are there any other reasons for limiting intake of eggs, or is 2 a day gonna be fine? I'm a veggie so I tend to eat them quite a lot. And on another subject, why is it better to eat egg yokes raw exactly? Does cooking them kill off some of the vitamins?

I was a bit cautious about eating too many eggs and avocados due to their high cholestrol content, but I read an article this week saying that avocados contain a supernutrient that stops cholestrol being absorbed in the intestine, and that moreover very little of the cholestrol in eggs is actually absorbed into the body.

Are there any other reasons for limiting intake of eggs, or is 2 a day gonna be fine? I'm a veggie so I tend to eat them quite a lot. And on another subject, why is it better to eat egg yokes raw exactly? Does cooking them kill off some of the vitamins?

I don't think there's any reason to limit your intake of eggs. You could probably eat as many as you want during the day. Eggs are a very healthy food. However, I really recommend you eat Organic eggs and if you can find them Organic Omega-3 Eggs. They are much better for you and they taste better too :).

The same goes for avocado. Eat as many as you want during the day because they are very healthy. And remember, organic is much better than non-organic.

Some people digest raw eggs better than cooked eggs. Also, some people have allergies to cooked eggs and so they can only eat raw eggs. I'm actually one of those people who is allergic to cooked eggs, but I don't eat raw eggs either because I don't like the taste :).

From what I understand, all plant foods have zero cholesterol - therefore a vegan diet is cholesterol-free. They instead have a chemical called beta-sitesterol (sp?) that is basically "plant cholesterol" but in humans lowers our blood cholesterol. Anyways, the whole "don't eat eggs" propaganda was really a bunch of bullshit that people fed into 20 years ago but it's been disproved. Keep in mind blood cholesterol is also a necessary component of the body, and the real cause behind heart disease is not just too much animal fats / cholesterol but too much sugar and insulin spikes as well, which in turn leads to insulin resistance wherein your cells stop taking in as much magnesium (keeps your body relaxed; calcium has the opposite effect) and therefore things get clogged up easier.

With that said, I've read that eggs form a very thick mucus in the body - in Chinese Medicine this would be called dampness, which is connected to acne. Since you're vegetarian, obviously you're not getting as much mucus / dampness from other big sources (excess meats, excess dairy) but just keep in mind other healing traditions would link eggs to acne (whether or not you believe Traditional Chinese Medicine is true or not). I'd say a few eggs a day shouldn't be too bad :)

Raw egg yolks have more of the vitamins then cooked ones do, but the whites are best consumed lightly cooked.