Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
christopharr

Christopharr's Love Affair With Aquaphor

Welcome to my log, everybody! I'm an 18-year-old guy living in Houston and will soon start university in Michigan. For several years I've had moderate to severe acne. However, due to the great amount of stress I've experienced in the past year or so, my acne has become terrible. In the past 12 months I've tried Retin-A Micro, Finacea, several sulfur and antibiotic pills and numerous over-the-counter regimens (Proactiv and freakin' Murad, too), but to no avail; my acne still persists.

My main problem is whiteheads. I get them all the time and they're usually painful. They also bleed quite a bit whenever I wash (alright, I admit it.. I also pick at them quite often). I have pimples on my cheeks as well. According to my dermatologist, I also have rosacea on my face and burst blood vessels which in turn have given me dark red spots on my cheeks. I break out several times a week, usually consisting of whiteheads on my cheeks and forehead. I'm pretty lean and weigh about 120 pounds.

I'm a very, very observant person and have a slight lack of self-confidence, for which I (perhaps mistakenly?) blame on my acne. I always try to look my best despite my acne, and yet I always worry about what other people think of my appearance. I have many amazing friends with whom I feel I can talk about anything, and yet I never discuss my acne. I never thought I'd have such awful acne that I'd need to take this drastic measure, nor would I have imagined I'd feel a need to have a log on an acne website. I don't mean to sound rude or cocky, but I'm sure some of you can relate. It's tough, you know?

As I said earlier, I've tried pretty much everything and am hopeful that accutane will do wonders for my skin as I know it has for others. Anyway, here I go:

I started my accutane regimen nine days ago (due to complications with my insurance provider, I almost didn't get my prescription in time, which made me really nervous). My regimen is 40mg, once a day. I haven't really seen any change, better nor worse, in my skin. As far as side effects go, my lips became incredibly dry two days ago, and have since been very uncomfortable unless I have a layer Carmex on them. I think I may be experiencing some very, very light muscle pains, but it could be somewhat of a placebo effect.. haha.

Anyway, until next time. =)

Good luck on starting accutane! ;) Keep us updated!

w00t, thanks imogen. Does anybody have advice on what to use for my lips? They're not cracked, peeling or bleeding, but the skin directly surrounding them is what really bothers me.

Grats bro, I got accutane 10 day ago, so excited

Yeah make sure you moisturize lots! I'm on day 10 and starting to get really dry. I use Neutragena moisturizer for skin and Aquaphor for lips, its great!

Yeah, so far the only dryness I'm experiencing is my lips and on my chin. I use a tea tree moisturizer for oily skin from The Body Shop that my mom bought for me and it seems to moisturize quite well. Also, I'm using Carmex but I'm going to buy Aquaphor tomorrow because I have to reapply Carmex every 30 minutes in order to stay comfortable.

One thing that I noticed today (day 10) is that my skin is much less oily. So that's a good thing. Hopefully it won't become extremely dry, but that's probably somewhat inevitable.

Day 13: Had my first nosebleed in years today. It sucked because it was right before I headed off to work, so I was really worried that it'd happen again there. I've also been really tired lately, but I'm not blaming it on the medicine. For the past few days, though, I've had this pain in my upper left thigh and my hip. It's so random because I haven't done anything strenous.

=/

I just stared couple of days ago - 40mg too and have an annoying headache and shoulders ache but its gonna be worth it!

Good luck!

Thanks, aldone. No headaches here yet but I'm preparing myself for anything!

Another thing: I swear my lips are becoming, like, immune to Carmex. It's not working any longer! haha I think I'm going to the pharmacy tomorrow to buy some Aquaphor. Any other recommendations?

I'm in love. With Aquaphor.

Yesterday I had two more nosebleeds. It was awful. Later in the day, though, I finally went to buy some Aquaphor (I had gone to Walgreens the day before but couldn't find it and ended up wasting five bucks on regular Eucerin lotion). Anyway, I put it on my lips and it was amazing. haha Carmex and Chapstick didn't stop the dry feeling even when there was lots of it applied, but this stuff is amazing. So glad I read all the recommendations for it. Also, last night I put some, well.. up my nose. I read it on this forum and decided to try it. It was extremely uncomfortable, but guess what? NO NOSEBLEEDS TODAY.

I'm sooo excited about this stuff. haha Anyway, it's now day 15 and have two new whiteheads on my face. Nothing new. Skin still hasn't gone dry, just lips and nose. The pain in my thigh continues, but it's nothing bad.