Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BethK

Kill My Liver: Alcohol + Accutane

I'll be going on Accutane in a few days, and I've read many times that it is not recommended to drink alcohol while on Accutane.

Well, please understand the reality of my situation. I'm in college. I live with my close friends, we go out all the time, sometimes getting a little crazy...and alcohol is almost always involved. I won't lie...sometimes it's moderate drinking, but sometimes it's kind of excessive. To completely stop drinking would be an entire lifestyle change for me.

So I guess my question is, how bad is it REALLY to drink on Accutane? I've read the information that says "it is not good for your liver" but that is not very specific. What does it do to your liver? Does it really damage it- and how bad? Are there documented cases of long term liver damage from drinking on Accutane?

I just want to know all of the facts so that I can make smart decisions. :angel:

I'll be going on Accutane in a few days, and I've read many times that it is not recommended to drink alcohol while on Accutane.

Well, please understand the reality of my situation. I'm in college. I live with my close friends, we go out all the time, sometimes getting a little crazy...and alcohol is almost always involved. I won't lie...sometimes it's moderate drinking, but sometimes it's kind of excessive. To completely stop drinking would be an entire lifestyle change for me.

So I guess my question is, how bad is it REALLY to drink on Accutane? I've read the information that says "it is not good for your liver" but that is not very specific. What does it do to your liver? Does it really damage it- and how bad? Are there documented cases of long term liver damage from drinking on Accutane?

I just want to know all of the facts so that I can make smart decisions. :angel:

no offense but to be that addicted to alcohol is not good. i guess it's different for everyone but if you aren't wiling to stop drinking to take accutane you probably don't really need it. some people here would give their left leg for clear skin

no offense but to be that addicted to alcohol is not good. i guess it's different for everyone but if you aren't wiling to stop drinking to take accutane you probably don't really need it. some people here would give their left leg for clear skin

I'm not addicted to alcohol. I know that there are a lot of people that drink on Accutane and I'm trying to investigate whether or not that's okay. I don't want to do any damage to myself. I'm young and I party sometimes, it's not an addiction.

I'm not addicted to alcohol. I know that there are a lot of people that drink on Accutane and I'm trying to investigate whether or not that's okay. I don't want to do any damage to myself. I'm young and I party sometimes, it's not an addiction.

my doctor said no drinking on accutane. it already strains your liver enough, which is why they do bloodtests. So drinking could make it even worse and maybe even delay your accutane course by months.

I think you need to decide which is more important, accutane or drinking.

I guess it just makes me kind of mad to see people ask this. No alcohol is such a small thing to sacrifice for clear skin, to me at least.

I guess it just makes me kind of mad to see people ask this. No alcohol is such a small thing to sacrifice for clear skin, to me at least.

I think you are completely misreading me. If I absolutely can not drink while on Accutane, then I won't. Yes it would be a huge lifestyle change. But obviously the Accutane and my health are way more important than pitchers of Bud Light.

However I am aware that not everyone completely stops drinking while on Accutane, and I was merely inquiring about what the repercussions of that are. I just want to gather information, that's what these boards are for...to be helpful.

How often do you go out and drink? I've been on tane for 3 months now and i'll go out once a week and get totally shit faced, and then i'll have like one beer during the week or something. I was at the derm two weeks ago and got a new blood test done, he said all your levels are fine.. so if it aint broke, don't fix it.. that's me though, it can be different for everyone, you do get pissed more easily though.

Nobody should drink while on accutane, it puts too much stress on your liver. Thats what my derm told me. She said I shouldnt even have ONE drink a week. (she also said it was safe to go tanning & waxing, mind you). Anyhow, Ive been on tane for almost six months, and have gone out drinking nearly every single week, at least twice a week. My blood tests were all normal, no strange side effects (although my lips feel drier after a night of boozing). I would be careful w/ binge drinking. I dont recommend it at all, Im just saying that my body has been fine doing it. But, who knows, maybe Ill drop dead next week for messing w/ my liver so much. At least I'll have clear skin at my funeral :D

I've never been on Accutane but feel I should add my two cents since I have had a liver problem in the past. I was on a combination of Doxycycline, Dianette (the pill) and Retin-A for my acne. The combination of which I don't think adds up to the potency of accutane.

I had been on this combo in the past with no problems whatsoever and it cleared my acne up wonderfully. I then went back on it after a few years and it completely messed up my liver, and I wasn't even drinking.

I had what was termed "Drug-induced hepatitis"

I had severe itching that nothing could ease because of the build up of bile in my blood. I was jaundiced and extremely fatigued. I was at uni too and had to get a doctors note to excuse my not completing my coursework. I had to have blood tests once a week and it took my liver about six months to return to normal.

So the moral of my story is that the liver has to do enough work as it is cleaning all these toxic potions from our blood without the added stress of 'extras' such as alcohol. Also everyone is different and what's fine for one person ain't fine for the next. And in my case what was fine for me once almost killed me the second time.

I was lucky though as drug-induced hepatitis is the least serious form of hepatitis and once the causative factor is stopped the liver can heal itself 100%.

Hope this was of some help.

Well, please understand the reality of my situation. I'm in college. I live with my close friends, we go out all the time, sometimes getting a little crazy...and alcohol is almost always involved. I won't lie...sometimes it's moderate drinking, but sometimes it's kind of excessive.

You need to make "an entire lifestyle change"! It is very dangerous to drink while on accutane. You're putting your liver in danger. I think you need to make a decision- drinking or accutane.

I drank kind a lot (binge drank) about 2-3 times a month and a little every now and again while on Accutane. I havn't noticed any effects or have they shown up in my tests. Considering i'm 2 year underage for drinking here in Aus (legal age 18) i'd say you can drink but not too often, wouldn't drink a lot every weekend.

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 22 years old and my friends like to go out on the weekends. I go in on the 27th to watch this stupid video about it then I'll officially be on it.

However, I have to go get my blood tested either tomorrow or Tuesday. I drank yesterday at my cousin's wedding - does it matter how long you wait before you give your blood? I'm assuming it makes no difference if I go in there tomorrow or on Tuesday but I just want the test results to be as good as they can. Just wondering if drinking a couple days before giving blood would effect the results??

blah, I was on Accutane, I drank about 2 times a week. That was my self negotiated lifestyle. I figured as long as I limit myself I will be all fine.

Did anyone else have the hangover from hell whilst drinking on Accutane? Seriously, I was hunched over the toilet, unable to eat or even move, for the whole of the next day. And I'm usually the sort of person who has to drink a lot to have anything more than a mild hangover...

I drank excessively while on accutane (bad idea) almost on a daily basis. According to blood and urine tests my derm said I was fine.

It depends, really. Try not to go overboard and drink in moderation when you can. You might want to consider taking a liver protectant just for piece of mind. Milk Thistle is good.

Your liver has a MASSIVE overhead capacity. The chance of liver damage from Accutane is so slim.

I say party and don't get intoxicated.

I drank excessively while on accutane (bad idea) almost on a daily basis. According to blood and urine tests my derm said I was fine.

It depends, really. Try not to go overboard and drink in moderation when you can. You might want to consider taking a liver protectant just for piece of mind. Milk Thistle is good.

I just read that some major university proved that milk thistle does nothing for the liver. Im sorry, i forgot where I read it....but that SUCKS! I was eating those pills like candy thoughout my course. Oh well, Im sure it helped something...somewhere!

I've been having a couple of cocktails a couple of times a week. Haven't experienced any ill effects so far ...

I think that if it says don't drink alcohol, there is a reason. It could hurt you. Even if you know people who have been on accutane and drank, that's their body. You don't know what your body will do if you try doing this. Some people's bodies may be able to handle both the medication and alcohol, but I wouldn't risk that. You need to do what will be best for you, and if you want to take a chance and try drinking while under the medication, that's your choice. I understand you're not an alcoholic or anything, and that you just like drinking socially, but if you really want clear skin, then you might do yourself a favor and stay off the alcohol for a while. Or, you can try something other than accutane. I've been on the clear skin regimen and it's totally working for me. Anyway, be careful with whatever you choose. Take care of yourself.

Here is my experiance with it. And before I go on, please for the love of God don't be stupid and drink lots while on tane.

So I goto this college party and it's huge. It's your normal block party with tons of people (and cops) all around. I was about 3 months into Accutane and have heard left and right that drinking + Accutane = BAD! I knew I was reaping my own deathbed but ah what the hell let's DRINK and have a GOOD TIME! Well I did drink (not all that much, about 8 cans) and I basicly regret the whole thing.

See what it does it this. Drinking affects your liver... and so does Accutane so while both are taxing your liver, your liver doesn't like that. So what does it do? It increases your Triglycerides (kinda like Cholestoral) by ALOT. Your normal Triglyceride levels are about 150-200ish. I was stupid and drank 3 days before my blood test and it turned about mine were around 350. 500 is instant heart attack. 400 is close and possible. I was close, wouldn't you say?

In conclusion, if you do drink, drink very little and don't drink close to your blood test or your Triglycerides will be high enough so they will bump down your doseage or even take you off the medication. They bumped me down from 60mgs to 40mgs.

And for the love of God PLEASE make sure you're doing Blood Tests.

And PLEASE think about what you're doing to your body before you take a sip. This is only about 5 months of your life; you'll be in college for at least 4 years; you'll have plenty of time to party.

It's best to completely abstain or to inbibe moderately only occasionally. As you are aware - it strains the liver.

But! If your baseline liver function tests (liver enzymes, cholesterol, triglycerides) are within the normal range, and Accutane doesn't elevate those levels, you could probably get away with drinking in moderation (that means no binge drinking). If your baseline is elevated (and with the sort of drinking you describe, i wouldn't be suprised), especially liver enzymes, then you shouldn't even think about drinking on Accutane.

the liver is the "garbage dump / recycling plant" of the body. alcohol is processed there and so is accutane, so it's hard on the liver.

you'd probably be fine drinking once a week, but i wouldnt do it at all. accutane is hard to get and KEEP under the iPLEDGE system. dont give the derm any reason to take you off. even if ur liver enzymes go up a little bit, they might get freaked or lower ur dose (preventing u from getting the right cumulative dose).

is it really that hard to stop drinking for five months in order to get clear skin for life? common.

is it really that hard to stop drinking for five months in order to get clear skin for life?

I was a heavy drinker - i thought it would be really hard. It was actually very easy. Maybe because there is a built-in time limit to how long i had to abstain. I'm really glad i did though, it broke me of some bad habits regarding alcohol, and i can get a buzz from a much smaller quantity now. ;)

is it really that hard to stop drinking for five months in order to get clear skin for life? common.

its not that easy....

I'm kinda in the same boat as you.

well not really as I already graduated college but I do like to drink.

I was told by my derm that you arent supposed to drink excessively. everyone knows that.

every ONCE in a while it is ok to drink as long as you dont drink until you puke.

its not like you cant touch the stuff even once for 5 months.

drs have to watch their backs. they have to warn you against things like this incase something happens (so they wont be held liable)

just be smart. limit yourself.

enjoy a few drinks every now and then. ask to see your blood tests, watch your levels, and dont go overboard.