Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So i went to my derm appt... I come home and my father asks me how it went...i said fine...he asked if I got new meds...i said no... To him this means I am stopping everything i suppose... Later on, because this is such a freaking big deal to him...He tells me.. you know I think you should continue taking the medications blah blah.. I know he probably means well, but there is much bigger things going on in the world then whats goin on, on my face.. Its just soo annoying and hurtful.. When i started to break out he was making such a big deal out of it, and freaking out about it more than me. I just find it so superficial, and hurtful. Its like who cares! ugh I should walk around like this when i see him haha :ninja: .

difficult dilemma, atleast know he means the best for you

and you could do a billion times worse in the dad department

difficult dilemma, atleast know he means the best for you

and you could do a billion times worse in the dad department

totally agree

Guest beanz

My dad does the same thing. It hurts when someone brings up your skin problem in one of the rare moments you aren't worried about it. I know he asks me about it because he cares and he probably knows how unhappy my skin makes me...but sometimes it makes me cry just knowing someone else notices enough to say something. :(

well at least they care about it enough to do something instead of the usual you'll grow out of it or even worst alienate you more by calling you names

so be happy you have parents who cared enough

i'd do the same if I ever have children

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies ^_^. I know it can probably be a thousand times worse, but sometimes I feel like he is all about appearances its kind of annoying. When I first started to break out he thought I had some sort of disease and was looking in his medical books :wacko: , hahaha. So the little comments just get to me. But I guess in the big picture he just cares, its just something I have to deal with even if he is hurting my feelings by saying things like this.

Im sure the reason is that he doesnt want to see your face get fucked up. Just because your skin isnt technically getting scarred doesnt mean that its not damaging it.

In my case, my biological mom does the same. And one time, my grandma called the acne on my forehead "holes". I got so pissed at her and started arguing with her that I got in trouble for it. My mom got mad at me for "talking back to my elders". Stupid. It's like the older people have a right to criticize you.

My mom always brings up my skin. She's like "I don't think your meds are working (which they are kind of, I would definatly be worse off without them), why doesn't your dermatologist just tell you to give up and live with it!" I'm like "why would she do that, It's her job to try to clear peoples skin. And for how often my she tells me my meds aren't working she still doesn't want me to use accutane.

Although sometimes I like when she brings it up because it gives me an excuse to talk about it.

see the thing is, family members especially adults, think it's ok for them to comment on your skin just because they are family, and i don't mean like the rare trying to help i'm talking about just commenting. other people don't comment for a reason, but for somereason family just thinks that it is ok for them to comment.

My mom and sometimes my dad almost always point out whenever I have a new big zit or cyst when I don't want to think about it. I always told them that I know whenever I have a zit because I can feel it and I asked nicely about not pointing out my zits because I don't want to think about them.

They care, so sometimes they can't help it and point yet again at a new zit.

I'm sure your dad is like my parents in this case. He cares, maybe he got bad acne in the past and suffered the condition and doesn't want you to suffer what he suffered. It isn't that superficial since acne is really a debilitating condition (this support forum clearly shows that), so he could be worried that acne could affect you negatively.

maybe he thinks you are hiding your worries from him? just tell him how you feel about it