Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChaosNightWolf

Help Arthur build a skin regimen!

Hello everyone at the Acne.org forums.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Arthur, I am 18 years old and I have been suffering from acne for about 5 years. I have suffered from the emotional effects of acne and just like everyone else I'v tried multiple products with no success.

Now I think it's time for a change.

I did for a short time try and copy some of the regimens that people have already done in these forums. However, I can't try as many as I would like because I don't go to a dermatologist so I do not have access to prescription medications. I have been reading the forums long enough to get the general idea of what is important in a skin regimen. From my readings here is what seems to be important in a regimen;

Exfoilation

Cleansing

Toning

Moisturizing

SPF Protection

I have also read about other things that have cured people's acne such as;

Tea Tree Oil

Baking Soda

Head and Shoulders Shampoo

Birth Control Pills

Vitamin B5

I have decided that I want to build my own regimen. However, I have alot more questions then I do answers and thus I'm posting here for help. Here are a few of my questions.

1) How often should I exfoilate? It seems some regimens don't even include any type of it. How important is this in a regimen?

2) How important is a toner in a regimen? Again, I don't see that many regimen's that include toning.

3) What is the general guideline to having a good regimen? What the some of the essentials that every regimen must include?

4) How often should I wash? From what I read 2 is the most, is it safe to wash more then that?My

My goal in time, through asking these questions and such. Is to build a regimen with the help of the members of the forums that is flexible (something everyone can use) and easily accessable (Using OTC medications).

Some regimen ideas....

Clean and Clear Regimen.

1) Exfoilate with a paste formed from Baking Soda and water. This will exfoilate and help bring my skin to a more basic PH level.

2) Cleanse with Clean and Clear Deep Action Cream Cleanser. This will clean my face and pores after all of the dead skin has been removed from using the baking soda.

3) Tone with Clean and Clear Deep Cleaning Astringent. This will help remove the last traces of dirt and oil, as well as leave acne fighting medication inside of my pores (I'm not sure which medication there talking about :eh: )

4) Moisturize with Clean and Clear Dual Action Moisturizer. This will help restore moisture as well as help future breakouts, however this may not be as good as other moisturizers because of the lack of any SPF.

Any suggestions/comments/answers would greatly be appeciated. Hopefully we can tweak this and make a great new regimen!

I think everyone's personal "best" regimen is unfortunatly discovered throught trial and error. I've been battling acne for 17 years. Through out my teenage years I thought my acne was due to too much oil on my face and having a "dirty" face. So i used every "super oil control" acne regimine out there that was geared at drying out a face with no results. (just had a flakey pimply face ) For the past few years I decided my acne was do to poor exfolition and joined the manual exfolation bandwagon. I scrubbed, masked, and dumped acid on my face in conjunction with Proactive without obtaining clear skin. Now I've decided to try a new method. It has some componets of yours while trying to stay semi true to Dans CSR here on the website.

1 - I cleanse - very gently with CSR cleanser - great stuff btw

2 - I treat - CSR BP gel very gently applied generously per the CSR regimen instructions - I didn't see anything in your regimen for a treatment

3 - I exfoliate - I use a 12% Alpha Hydroxy lotion for this morning and night - replaces a moisuriser - its startign to cause dryness however so i may need to decrease how often i use it or switch to a 10% acid formula

4- I SPF - with my make up foundation that is SPF 15

I've never used baking soda exfoliation so i can't comment but I will say I've personally noticed a big improvement in my skin by sticking to Dan's NO IRRITATION theory. Meaning using gentle touch at all times when it come to the face. ( I will need to go on record as stating I have a huge picking compulsion that I am currently working on, which when it rears it's ugly head causes me HUGE problems)

And lastly - DON'T PICK - again advice coming from a compulsive picker.

Is there anything out there that's close to the quality of Dans cleanser? I'm really trying to keep my medications OTC. I would love to order Dan's but I don't have a credit card and asking my grandparents all the time would be a bit of a hassle.

Well I was using Cetaphill. It worked well for me but I've seen lots of people on the boards say they don't like it so I'm not sure what else to recomend. I was using Proactive cleanser before that and I would NOT reccomend that. I think the Proactive cleanser is too harsh now seeing how gentle products like cetaphill and Dans Cleanser are. If you can convince someone to buy Dan's Cleanser for you you can tell them the stuff will last forever. :D The bottle is huge and you only need a small amount to really lather up well. I really think this bottle will last me 4 months or more. So they would only need to buy it for you 3-4 times a year.

If this is just not an option, maybe look at some of the reviews on this website?

Wow, it really last that long? If it last 2-3 months I wouldn't mind asking to buy it, but any less then that wouldn't be that great :(. I heard it also lightly exfoilates. Is that true? I wouldn't have to worry about exfoilation using it? Who knows maybe I'll just end up buying it. Is the purpose gentle cleansing bar going to last just as long?

Alright people I think I have come up with my own custom regimen I'm planning on using. Can anyone tell me what they think?

Step 1: Exfoilate with http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...=BUY-PLST-0-CAT

Step 2Cleanse with http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...=BUY-PLST-0-CAT

Now step 3 is where I have a question for you all. Which is more important to have when treating acne. A moisturizer with SPF 15 or with AHA? These are the two I am considering.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...=BUY-PLST-0-CAT This is the one with the AHA

or

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...=BUY-PLST-0-CAT This is the one with the SPF 15.

Can anyone help me decide/critique my regimen? Thanks!

First off, are you going to exfoilate ever day? Exfoilating your skin might increase the acne since the skin is more likely to get irritated by the corns. But if you do decide to exfoliate make sure its a mild product. And cleansing after exfoliating is not necessary.

When it comes to your moisturizer, i would suggest you get one with AHA. (But you should always use SPF too). After a quick look at those moisturizing links of yours, i wouldnty really suggest you get any of those. The AHA moisturizer had got bad comments and DOVE products are often worthless. Search for moisturizers in this forum and ill be sure you'll find better alternatives.