Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ilikepancakes

Ipledge can go to hell

I had no idea it was this crazy until my 37 year old friend had to go on BC. She's been maried 15 years to a 60+ year old man who has had a vasectomy for over 30 years! She's never gotten pregnant in her life. This is her 3rd cycle of Accutane and they are making her jump through more hoops now at this age than when she was in the prime of child -bearing years.

This is craziness. (and this is what my daughter has to look forward to at some point) :shifty:

In 1999 during my first course of Accutane, I had to take a preg test and lipid profile every month and my script was never for more than 30 doses every 30 days. Also, I had to (promise to) either abstain or use 2 forms of BC, and then I was shown pictures of Accutane babies. I signed a form saying that I would abort in the event of pregnancy and I would not sue my derm. What was wrong with this procedure?

To any reasonable person, not a damn thing. To the FDA - it did not prevent all exposed pregnancies.

I agree, the iPledge system is very troublsome and in many respects unnecessary. I didn't create it. There were better risk management options suggested by the FDA Advisory Committee on Accutane in 2000. Nevertheless, the need remains for a third party to monitor the distribution of the drug.

##

-Roaccutane Science: http://max001.proboards42.com

-Retinoid signaling, etc.

-FDA Advisory Committee on Accutane (2000)

-Accutane package label (2005)

-Package label history

I'm not against strict protocol to prescribe the drug. I just don't want iPLEDGE to lock me, my pharmacist, and my doctor's office every month, then I have to call and be placed on hold for hours, then I have to have my doctor call and be placed on hold for hours, then I have to have my pharmacist call and be placed on hold for hours. Then I get to discover that my account is locked out. Then my 7-day window is expired.

Why not make doctors get a license to prescribe Accutane and make them follow procedure and report cases of depression and pregnancy? If they don't comply, their Accutane license would be revoked. This is much, much simpler. Put the burden on them to be responsible physicians. They should be responsible anyway so it would not that big of a deal for them.

Why involve a pharmacist?

(I agree with the last two posts. It's the third party -IPledge -I disagree with)

This is what doctors do. It's their responsibility to know the tetratogenic effects and document compliance. I don't think a third party needs to be involved DURING the process. If they need to gather data, license physicians or pharmacists for prescribing or filling, then so be it. But that needs to be taken care of before (and after) the journey, not month-to-month on an ongoing basis where the actual treatment plan is sabotaged by a bureaucracy.

Why should a third party have access to that private information?

To ensure the safety and general welfare of society. It's not a Communist conspiracy, you know.

ah-HA! I was locked out of my iPLEDGE account again. I knew that I would be.

I'm on hold right now. I'm using up my minutes.

Now this just sucks. After being on hold for 11 minutes, iPLEDGE sent me to voicemail.

I have to call back. Crap.

So my doctor's nurse forgot to go to their website and authorize/put in the information so I can get my accutane. The pharmacist won't give me any medicine and now I'm sitting here for who knows how long and I've already been off accutane for 4 days.

Fuck you Ipledge. Whoever is responsible for Ipledge I hope will die in a fire, slow and painfully. It would be easier for me to buy crack cocain, an AK 47, and a nuclear missile than to get these pills. It's not enough that my doctor WROTE THE PERSCRIPTION (last time I checked, doctors were smart people) but I have to deal with some Bullshit government organization to get some life-saving pills. Yes, they are life saving, I have no fucking life as it is right now. I had a great month of accutane and now I'm being jerked off by Ipledge.

Incompetent people make me angry.

What the fuck is iPLEDGE and why the hell do you need to do it? I've picked up on the association with you needing to do it inorder to get on Accutane, but why...it sounds really dumb.

So my doctor's nurse forgot to go to their website and authorize/put in the information so I can get my accutane. The pharmacist won't give me any medicine and now I'm sitting here for who knows how long and I've already been off accutane for 4 days.

Fuck you Ipledge. Whoever is responsible for Ipledge I hope will die in a fire, slow and painfully. It would be easier for me to buy crack cocain, an AK 47, and a nuclear missile than to get these pills. It's not enough that my doctor WROTE THE PERSCRIPTION (last time I checked, doctors were smart people) but I have to deal with some Bullshit government organization to get some life-saving pills. Yes, they are life saving, I have no fucking life as it is right now. I had a great month of accutane and now I'm being jerked off by Ipledge.

Incompetent people make me angry.

What the fuck is iPLEDGE and why the hell do you need to do it? I've picked up on the association with you needing to do it inorder to get on Accutane, but why...it sounds really dumb.

Also do guys need to take this shit? I went to their website and it said something about pregnancy and other blah blah crap..

From some easy and fast assumptions i assume this is a program dedicated to stop female pregnancy while on Accutane and other drugs like that. Now my question is...WTF do you have to do? Wear Metal underwear with a padlock on them or something?