Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JPosey30311

How long should I wash my face?

How long is recommended to wash you're face? I have extremely mild acne but I can get a zit anywhere so I wash thoroughly all over my face and neck and it usually takes nearly 5 minutes by the time I wash it off. Is this irritating? Should I start rushing through my face-washings?

that's too long

dan suggests not more than 10 seconds

i also found this too short in the beginning, but in the end, i made myself get used to it, and i can really feel the difference. too much washin is very irritating for your skin. did you know that even water is drying out your skin?

so, be sure, you don't leave the cleanser on fore more than 10-15 seconds, and wash it off thouroughly, but also try not to be under water too much (it's perfect in the shower, b/c the stream is very strong and it washes the soap off completely in just a few seconds)

5 minutes is an insane amount of time to cleanse. You're doing more harm than good to your skin. 10-15 seconds is all you need.

really.. that little.. 10 secs, Ive always washed my face for at least 1 mintue.., especially if my cleanser has an active acne fighting ingredient so it can penetrate into the skin...

yea. i agree with kristin21. Don't we need to let the acne fighting ingredient to penetrate into the skin? 10 seconds is just too fast for it

Yes that is correct. If you have acne fighting ingredients like AHA/BHA they need more time than 10 seconds to be able to furfill their function. Washing it away after 10 seconds wouldn't do any good at all. But thats why you shouldn't be fooled and buy an facewash that contains AHA/BHA because you generelly rinse away the acids before they have time to do what they are suppose to. (Another trick to fool us customer)

Try find a moisture/mask that contains those deep cleaning ingredients like AHA/BHA because they will often be on your face for longer than 10 seconds (otherwise something is really wrong in your skincare routine) and therefor will have time to do their "job".

Here's what I do:

1. Wet my face with lukewarm water first.

2. Apply cleanser and massage in gently with fingertips

3. Allow it to really sink in for maybe 10 seconds.

4. Wash off gently with lukewarm water.

5. Pat dry.

My cleanser has BP in it, so I take about 20-30 seconds, give or take. I don't want to leave it on very long because I don't want it to try out my skin, and it's been working for me rather well.

Acne isn't caused by dirty skin, so really all you need to do is wash away the excess sebum and dead skin cells on the surface. Cleansers don't penetrate into the pore where the real problem lies, so just take the time to gently massage the cleanser over your entire face and rinse with lukewarm water. I can't do all that in ten seconds; I need about twenty-thirty seconds. You don't want to irritate your skin by rubbing it too quickly, which is what I would think would happen if you were to try and wash your entire face in only ten seconds.

Concerning medicated cleansers using beta or alpha hydroxy acids, they really aren't an effective way to deal with clogged pores because they almost always have too high of a pH (over 4) to allow the acids to act as exfolliants. If a cleanser were miraculously pH correct, a good portion of the treatment would be washed away before the acids could penetrate. If the cleanser were left on long enough, the surfectants in the cleanser would irritate the skin. Leave-on treatments of this kind are always best.

Concerning medicated cleansers with benzoyl peroxide, similar comments (minus the pH factor) apply.

Here's how you should be washing your face:

1) Splash the face with lukewarm water

2) Pour the cleanser into your hands

3) Massage the cleanser over your skin- no need to let it "sink in"

4) Gently rinse with lukewarm water

5) Use a CLEAN towel to pat your skin dry

To fight clogged pores, I reccommend a salicylic acid product, which unlike scrubs and alpha hydroxy acids can actually exfoliate inside the pore. My favorite is Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Liquid. Like medicated cleansers, many leave-on salicylic acid treatments also have too high of a pH to exfoliate, contain skin irritants like alcohol and menthol, or both. The Paula's Choice version is one of the few that is both pH correct and gentle.

Everyone is posting the right advice- Ill just add in what i use for a wash and its really good- saved me and i use it everyday. Cetaphil. Its surprising how good cetaphil is and i never heard about it until i came on here.

I wash my face as quickly as I can. Not even for 10 seconds. I wet my face with lukewarm water, get a tiny amount of soap on my hands, quickly wipe it all over my face, as quick as I can, then rinse off.