Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am considering doing a flush and then starting a program of herbs....my boss though said no one should ever take anything that has not been fda approved and who knows how long you can take something for and whats really in it if it hasnt been fda approved.....any thoughts?

What do you mean by a flush?

I mean like, you clean out your body. You are supose to drink this stuff for 10 days called "clean start" and it is supose to clean out your body, get everything "regular".

I am considering doing a flush and then starting a program of herbs....my boss though said no one should ever take anything that has not been fda approved and who knows how long you can take something for and whats really in it if it hasnt been fda approved.....any thoughts?

Supplements are considered "food" (even if they have similar properties/effects of pharmaceuticals) and are regulated somewhat (i.e. to make sure they're not poison), but not nearly to the extent that drug substances are. They will NEVER be approved, so you can take your chances and if something bad happens to you, that sucks but there's not much you can do about it (legally speaking). I've always thought that if it comes in a pill and it ain't approved or from a reputable vitamin company, it's a bad idea because the safety of stuff like that is VERY questionable...

Supplements are considered "food" (even if they have similar properties/effects of pharmaceuticals) and are regulated somewhat (i.e. to make sure they're not poison), but not nearly to the extent that drug substances are. They will NEVER be approved, so you can take your chances and if something bad happens to you, that sucks but there's not much you can do about it (legally speaking). I've always thought that if it comes in a pill and it ain't approved or from a reputable vitamin company, it's a bad idea because the safety of stuff like that is VERY questionable...

Yes, that is exactley what my boss was saying. I guess he is right on track with his thinking then.....maybe I ought to stick with the vitimins..... ;)

Yes, that is exactley what my boss was saying. I guess he is right on track with his thinking then.....maybe I ought to stick with the vitimins..... ;)

Yeah, I work in the pharmaceutical industry in safety reporting and to me it's completely ridiculous that a supplement company that profits off of stuff that acts like a drug but is technically a "food" doesn't have to do ANY of the stuff we do to make sure the products are safe.

But there's lots of stuff on this board recommending (what I think are) safer ways to do the "flushing" without taking your chances with some random Metabo-Company.

Yeah, I work in the pharmaceutical industry in safety reporting and to me it's completely ridiculous that a supplement company that profits off of stuff that acts like a drug but is technically a "food" doesn't have to do ANY of the stuff we do to make sure the products are safe.

But there's lots of stuff on this board recommending (what I think are) safer ways to do the "flushing" without taking your chances with some random Metabo-Company.

Do you mean like eating more fruits and veggies? I do that already....maybe not enough?? ANy antioxident you would recommend?

Do you mean like eating more fruits and veggies? I do that already....maybe not enough?? ANy antioxident you would recommend?

I myself have never attempted a liver flush, a colon flush, or any other flush. I'm not really knowledgeable about any of that stuff. But if you're just looking for a really good antioxident my recommendation would be blueberries... they're kind of like a miracle food. :)

What do you mean by a flush?

I mean like, you clean out your body. You are supose to drink this stuff for 10 days called "clean start" and it is supose to clean out your body, get everything "regular".

What's in it?

I'm just curious... I've cleared my skin up a lot by doing liver flushes and bowel cleansing, but I don't know if the stuff you'e talking about is good or not.

I do a colon, liver and candida cleanse once a year just to make sure I keep my in proper working condition and I definatly notice a difference. The problem with a lot of people is that they do not understand homeopathic medicine and the benefits of herbal or nutritional healing. I have had great success in treating my acne by using mineral makeup and taking Echinacea and Goldenseal supplements. I also only cleanse with glycerine soap and use witch hazel as an astrigent and moisturize with Emu oil. The best thing you can do for yourself is get rid of all of your prescription meds (I even took Acutaine and it did'nt work).

I have been going to a homeopathic doctor for the last 5 years and my entire family has been antibiotic and prescription medication free and with 3 small children that's a big deal.

Liver, colon and candida cleanses are not just homeopathic but rooted deeply in naturopathic medicine (bowel toxicity has long been cited as a a major cause of disease for more then 100 years in this movement), Traditional Chinese Medicine (dampness is said to be a factor, Chinese concept of dampness is equivalent to our concept of mucus, candida thrives in a mucus environment), and Ayurveda (acne and digestion are very interconnected in this field, and I think they regard the liver as playing a role too but see digestion as the main culprit).

I should clarify that I never said homeopathic treatments do not have merit. My opinion is that the safety and efficacy of many marketed supplements is questionable, and one should not use any product without researching it.