Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello. I started out doing jessfoliation and polysporin about 2.5 weeks ago. I gave up the exfoliation about a week ago when it was causing me to break out. Anyway, i continued using the polysporin. However... i've had a big breakout[i never get breakouts... because i never do anything to my skin other than wash it]. Anyway... i am now wondering whether i should continue using the polysporin or not? The polysporin has definately made my red marks and acne go down considerably. Is this just acne purging up that has been residing there, and i can assume that no future breakouts are in my future, and i can continue to use without that fear... or will this be a progressive reoccurnce where i get worse acne if i keep use polysporin?

I would keep using it. It is the cream not the ointment right? I have been spot treating with neo for about 3 weeks and love the results. In one case it wiped out a 3 month old zit almost overnight. I only use celtic sea salt and water to wash with. I was putting neo on all over my face until last week. I got some samples of something with glycolic (sp) acid in it I wanted to try. I would keep up the poly/neo tho if I were you.

What I don't understand is why people are using neo/poly to treat acne. It's great for healing lesions to prevent them from scarring and perhaps making redmarks fade more quickly, but I don't think it has much treatment or preventive power for pimples. I don't think anybody really knows why Jessfoliation helped some people with acne, but I suspect it was the exfoliation and not so much the neo--that seems more for making your skin look better after damage was done. If you want to actually prevent inflammatory acne, you should be using benzoyl peroxide as Dan describes. Save the neosporin for occasional use on popped zits or irritated raw areas.

What I don't understand is why people are using neo/poly to treat acne. It's great for healing lesions to prevent them from scarring and perhaps making redmarks fade more quickly, but I don't think it has much treatment or preventive power for pimples. I don't think anybody really knows why Jessfoliation helped some people with acne, but I suspect it was the exfoliation and not so much the neo--that seems more for making your skin look better after damage was done. If you want to actually prevent inflammatory acne, you should be using benzoyl peroxide as Dan describes. Save the neosporin for occasional use on popped zits or irritated raw areas.

Because obviously it is working for some people, like me. I've done the ram, bp you name it stopped working after a while. I guess some things work for some people. I believe your metabolism changes every ten years or so and what used to work doesn't cut it after a while.

Hello. I started out doing jessfoliation and polysporin about 2.5 weeks ago. I gave up the exfoliation about a week ago when it was causing me to break out. Anyway, i continued using the polysporin. However... i've had a big breakout[i never get breakouts... because i never do anything to my skin other than wash it]. Anyway... i am now wondering whether i should continue using the polysporin or not? The polysporin has definately made my red marks and acne go down considerably. Is this just acne purging up that has been residing there, and i can assume that no future breakouts are in my future, and i can continue to use without that fear... or will this be a progressive reoccurnce where i get worse acne if i keep use polysporin?

u cannot jsut stop a regimen bc it broke u out .. it i just like anything else for instance the CSR Gel that breaks out almost everyone who starts out using it .. but when ur skin adjusts then u dont break out anymore and u only benefit.

the neo doesnt help active acne it helps if u picked ur acne but not like on a white head or blakc head. .. it also helps with after acne makrs liek red marks .. plus if u have dry skin or damaged skin it helps bc it makes ur skin stronger and heal faster. I use the neo a few times a week or heal the marks and bc it makes my skin look better.

Because obviously it is working for some people, like me. I've done the ram, bp you name it stopped working after a while. I guess some things work for some people. I believe your metabolism changes every ten years or so and what used to work doesn't cut it after a while.

This makes no sense. Yes, there are lots of products that stop working after a while--the most notorious of which are antibiotics (even like those found in Neosporin!) because the weaker bacteria are killed off but the resistant ones remain and reproduce. Salicyclic acid works through chemical exfoliation, and doesn't do a lot of good for inflammatory acne. A good BP formulation (i.e. one without extra ingredients that cause further irritation), though, will NOT stop working because it delivers oxygen to acne bacteria, which are anaerobes and cannot survive a large amount of BP used regularly. It might make your skin dry enough or irritated enough that you don't want to continue using it (which is understandable though usually preventable) or your acne might become too severe and cystic to be managed by topicals, but it won't just stop working. And metabolism certainly has nothing to do with any of this!

Anyway, keep using Neo if you like, but it doesn't really make any sense to do so to prevent acne, only to heal up existing lesions. By using it too much Neo, as with other antibiotics, you could very well run the risk of ending up with much more resistant acne--that is, assuming the antibiotics in Neo even kill acne bacteria at all when applied to unpopped zits.

Guest papillon

Hi. It's not the polysporin that broke you out. It's the exfoliation. I would know since I tried Jessfoliation with Triple Antibiotic Polysporin (the Heal Fast Formula with Vitamin E!).

Regardless, you shouldn't use any antibiotics for more than a month without your doctor's supervision. If your doctor says it's okay to use it long-term, it's fine, but don't self-treat yourself with antibiotics. :excl: Like somebody said above, you'll become resistant and have difficulty getting rid of the future zits that pop-up.