Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
putty13

other shallow scar sufferers out there?

i'd like to start a dialouge with other "shallow" scar sufferers out there. it seems we have issues that are unique to our type of scarring and it would be beneficial to develop a support system that is specific to our needs.

i will continue to post my progress pics while using obagi nuderm and will keep you all updated on other treatments i elect to have...

currently, i am researching several peels (obagi blue peel in particular) and i am quite intrigued by the tca cross method. although it is hard to see the degree of scarring i have in photos, i assure you it is there. the tca cross method seems like it would perfect for some of the tiny (diameter) pits.

does anyone know if tca cross works on larger shallow scars? some of mine look like the result of several pimples occuring very close together. this makes the overall texture of skin seem very rough even when it is smooth to the touch.

Peels like TCA will make it worse and give you pigmentation problems.

look at the fraxel thread. it's really the only thing out there that helps texture and scarring.

someone just posted the most convincing link to pictures i've ever seen. it's in that thread. the scars and texture were improved dramatically.

i too have a big shallow scar on one of my cheeks. Ive been doing a lot of research and i am considering getting a permanent injectible filler done. Aquamid maybe. I think it could turn out to about 90%-100% improvement.

i'm curious to trying a filler first then perhaps having erbium yag right afterwards from a real good derm. anyone have any tips or so forth?

masterk, I'd love to hear more about your fraxel treatments, what kind of scarring you had and how much it helped.

i'm curious to trying a filler first then perhaps having erbium yag right afterwards from a real good derm. anyone have any tips or so forth?

I have read that fillers should be done after any lasering, not before, because the laser will cause the filler material to break down. I also read in Dermatology Times that the Portrait procedure can give results similar to erbium with fewer risks.

I have shallow scars too--mostly the skin on my cheeks just looks kind of rough. I also have a couple of deeper scars on the side of my face that I am told are still considered shallow but are my worst ones. I'm considering fraxel and portrait, mostly. My doc said fillers don't do anything for shallow scars like mine because there is really nothing there to fill up when the scars are that shallow.

I have read that fillers should be done after any lasering, not before, because the laser will cause the filler material to break down. I also read in Dermatology Times that the Portrait procedure can give results similar to erbium with fewer risks.

I have shallow scars too--mostly the skin on my cheeks just looks kind of rough. I also have a couple of deeper scars on the side of my face that I am told are still considered shallow but are my worst ones. I'm considering fraxel and portrait, mostly. My doc said fillers don't do anything for shallow scars like mine because there is really nothing there to fill up when the scars are that shallow.

medusa,

could you post a pic of your scarring? i'd like to see if we have the same issues.

i'll keep you posted on what my derm says on aug. 7th. i'm hoping she will say that it won't take much to fix.

Hi Putty13,

From the photo I saw you post on the other thread, our scarring looks very much the same. Yours looks more similar to mine than anyone else I've seen here. Mine is concentrated on my the apples of my cheeks. I will try to get decent photos before I start any treatment and I'd be happy to send them to you.

There was a time in which derms would refuse to do anything for cases like ours because of the risk, but now that there are less invasive treatments, I think more are willing to try things on mild scar sufferers. So there is hope.

My scars are also very shallow. Many people on this board thinks that we are wasting their time and delusional. Its not true! We are insecure about our scarring too. What helped me quite a bit was an Erbium Yag laser. It was able to smooth out my worst scars and give me a 30-40% improvement in the appearance of the scars.

My scars are also very shallow. Many people on this board thinks that we are wasting their time and delusional. Its not true! We are insecure about our scarring too. What helped me quite a bit was an Erbium Yag laser. It was able to smooth out my worst scars and give me a 30-40% improvement in the appearance of the scars.

i'm thoroughly depressed. seriously just finished balling my eyes out.

my doc said peels do NOTHING for indented scars. i appreciate her honesty but it basically means that i just have to learn to live with the flaws i have. after such a nightmare with co2, i am reluctant to ever do any type of laser.

if anyone with shallow scars is out there who has had any luck REMOVING scars (not just "improving the apearance of the skin to give the illusion of lesser scarring"...which is how the doc put it) please post here.

i'm trying to find comfort in something...my faith in the medical proffession is shot... :(

my doc said peels do NOTHING for indented scars. i appreciate her honesty but it basically means that i just have to learn to live with the flaws i have. after such a nightmare with co2, i am reluctant to ever do any type of laser.

if anyone with shallow scars is out there who has had any luck REMOVING scars (not just "improving the apearance of the skin to give the illusion of lesser scarring"...which is how the doc put it) please post here.

i'm trying to find comfort in something...my faith in the medical proffession is shot... :(

Well, at least your doc was honest with you.... Better than my doc who first ruined my skin with Retin-A and then said he could eliminate the scarring with chemical peels.... Not so much.....

Fraxel has helped my shallow scarring somewhat....but nowhere near 'eliminating' it.... I'm going to look into other treatments after the Fraxel is all done. The only convincing evidence I've seen of really eliminating scarring has come from people who have had many, many different procedures over a long period of time.

I'm right there with ya.... I don't know what else comforting to say except that they keep coming out with better and better procedures.... I really hope they hit on something that truly erases scarring in the future....

Well, at least your doc was honest with you.... Better than my doc who first ruined my skin with Retin-A and then said he could eliminate the scarring with chemical peels.... Not so much.....

Fraxel has helped my shallow scarring somewhat....but nowhere near 'eliminating' it.... I'm going to look into other treatments after the Fraxel is all done. The only convincing evidence I've seen of really eliminating scarring has come from people who have had many, many different procedures over a long period of time.

I'm right there with ya.... I don't know what else comforting to say except that they keep coming out with better and better procedures.... I really hope they hit on something that truly erases scarring in the future....

thanks for the support. we really gotta stick together and keep eachother updated.

i'm so depressed. gotta find something else to volunteer for to get my mind off myself. :(

permanent dermal fillers are the way to go.

I have a few medium rolling scars on my temple that are about 90% improved.

you just need to find someone good that offers it- thats the hard part. Docs and companies dont like the temporary stuff cuz someday you wont come back!!!

My doc uses Silikon 1000- theres a lot of bad hype out there about it, you just need a good doc who knows what he's doing. It took me about 5-6 docs before i found this one.

permanent dermal fillers are the way to go.

I have a few medium rolling scars on my temple that are about 90% improved.

you just need to find someone good that offers it- thats the hard part. Docs and companies dont like the temporary stuff cuz someday you wont come back!!!

My doc uses Silikon 1000- theres a lot of bad hype out there about it, you just need a good doc who knows what he's doing. It took me about 5-6 docs before i found this one.

i am assuming that you are in san diego, could you elaborate more on ice picks and boxcar scars fillers, i mean my scars are very shallow but they are noticeable.

please everyone if you could post your previous treatment history and their results so we can all analyze and compare and contrast what works best for us. this is the thread for me.

hrms... what is this PORTRAIT procedure could you elaborate more on it??? i'm seriously considering the yag erbium laser treatment in november for my scars but its so costly, 900 is a lot for one session and i know i would need more then one, i was thinkng of getting it done and hoping that it will bare me a "70% improvements" and perhaps afterward i can start fillers treatments for each scar profiles that annoys me.

WE ARE ALL HERE TO HELP OURSELF, AND THROUGH EACH OTHER, THAT OUR PRAYERS WILL BE ANSWERED.

masterk, I'd love to hear more about your fraxel treatments, what kind of scarring you had and how much it helped.

I had the fraxel laser treatments done after having 12 excisions of small ice pick scars done first. To tell u the truth the Fraxel were just to finish everything up the excisions did all the work and fixed my face.

I would say that my scars were on the very minor side of things, but I seriously couldnt live with having tiny holes at the top of my cheeks. The doctor didnt want to do the excisions on a few spots but I said that i wanted it done so they did it and it turned out great. There were also more that 12 tiny holes removed but 12 actual cuts some with groups of marks together.

Also the ice pick scars were very tiny but deep or a few were slightly larger and shallow. THe shallow ones were the ones that the doctor didnt want to work on for fear of leaving a worse scar. I was told that the scars I had to begin with were at the level that most seeing the doctor for scars hope to achieve. Still u guys are shallow scar people so that should help.

masterk,

do you have any pics? i'd really like to see your improvement.

Im not sure what my scarring is, ill have to post a pic and see what you guys think of. But im with you guys on this scarring issue- its really draining and almost frightening that you can't do anything about it.

Yes yes, i have boxxcar scarring

but its so shallow! I know i have it when i catch the light, extreemly close up, ill see it

its too insignificate to care about