Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Simo

Simo's Roaccutane Mission...

Well, its taken a while; 4 dermatologist visits since last november (nhs sucks), exhausting minocycline, oxytetracycline, erythromicin, doxycycline, flucloxacillin, differin, retin-a, duac, lots and lots of bp over a period of 3 years, and a lot of destroyed confidence, but im finally on what seems to be the right road now.

I was prescribed Roaccutane, 70mg per day, for 5 weeks, until i get my blood tests done again after 4 weeks, and another derm appointment in 4 weeks, then i will get the other 3 month supply!

Days 1 + 2

Well, surprisingly enough not much has happened so far, my lips are a teeny bit drier, and this morning i noticed a lot of flaky skin on my chin which doesnt usually happen. Im going to stress that im still using very small amounts of bp combined with eucerin skin renewal moisturiser each day still, this should prevent the initial breakout, but im almost definitely going to get it with 70mg/day. Something i have noticed though, i have 3-4 whiteheads inside my nose ! Theyre quite painful to be honest :(

I will get some pics posted up soon, il post how my face was about a month ago, how it is now, and as i get deeper into the treatment il show you all how its going :)

I'm not too far ahead of you!

So we'll be going through the same things at the same time!!!

Good Luck hun!!!

The Tane will kick in soon! :D

Hey Simo mate

Best of luck with your course, don't stress about IB and all the complications because chances are this is the last acne treatment you'll need for quite some time ;)

With all the advice available here you'll be able to devise a regime of supplements and habits to make your tane course as problem-free as possible :D

Hey :D thanks for the replies, glad to see im not on my own in this journal :D

Just taken my dose for day 3, does everyone take theirs all at once (eg. im takin 3x 20mg and 2x 5mg) or do they split it into 2 doses throughout the day ? (so i could do 2x 20mg in morning and 1x 20mg and 2x 5mg in the evening)

Meh, i think im worring about too many things at the moment lol. Il carry on with using teeny amounts of bp, until it does more harm than good, and i think im going to need some lip balm lol, heard aquaphor is good ? Any input on that ?

I've read in different places that Accutane works better if taken in two equal doses at 12hour intervals (or roughly thereabouts)

Sorry I can't remember the links right now but I'm sure there's some discussion on this topic in and around Acne.org, so maybe do a search? :)

Day 3

Mutant whitehead appeared at the top of my lip where the bridge of your nose meets your upper lip, that popped in the shower so it should heal now. Another darn whitehead appeared inside my nostril ! These buggers are painful ! Nothing much else to report on but my lips seem more drier today, they arent cracking though.

Day 4

Well, the whiteheads keep appearing on the inside of my nostrils, each one is painful, i think theres 4 active, 2 in each nostril! Apart from that the skin on my nose was peeling today which ive never had before, my lips get a bit drier each day. My problem area- my chin, there arent any active, but they seem to be less red each day. Im going to try and find some pictures now, and i will take one which shows how my face looks now.

Okay managed to get some pics uploaded. Details with them :

This was back in february, thought i was past the "stage" of acne:

IPB Image

This was the end of march into the beginning of april. This was probably the 2nd worst my face has been with acne, it was very painful and cystic.

IPB Image

Here is today, things have calmed down a lot, but the 2 cysts to the right of my nose are probably gonna be hangin round for a long time unfortunately.

IPB Image

Day 5

Well, I think tane is starting to kick in, the inside of my nose is quite dry, hit the gym yesterday and my joints hurt a tad lol, that one best go away ! Lips are starting to crack, but not completely rock hard dry..... yet!

I sorted out a derm appointment scare yesterday :D i had to rearrange the appointment they gave me otherwise i would be 8 days without treatmeant of tane, which has to be bad! All is good now, so i got my next blood tests in roughly 3 weeks.

I cant seem to find the thread about taking accutane twice a day, could anyone direct me to it :pray:

I can see that you do have some problem areas, however, your skin tone is very nice. Once accutane clears that spots, you are going to look great!

There are lots of threads about people who take it twice a day. A lot of people on 80 mg take a 40 mg pill morning and 40 mg pill at night. Not sure what you have to make your 70, but I am on 80 mg and I just take it all at once. I was having a hard time remembering twice a day so I just decided to do it once! Hope this helps!

Taren

Days 6 - 8

Well, lips are getting very dry now, and cracking quite badly, i have to apply lipbalm 3-4 times a day now. Still getting whiteheads in my nostrils, they are absolute buggers ! Nose is also very dry, any advice for that ? lol! Ive had a spot come up to the bottom right of my nose, i thought it was going to be another big cyst, but it seems to be going down now :dance: Had work today, doing general labour on site, got really badly burned on my arms and legs and a bit on my face! Hopefully it will do my face some good :cool:

Im pretty sure the accutane is kicking in now, im preparing for the initial outbreak, and im stil using teeny teeny bits of bp with my moisturiser which seems to be helping, well to put it into perspective, it doesnt irritate my skin!

Hi Simo,

Best Wishes on your Accutane adventure. There's a lot of good support here, so just keep hanging around!

Did you know that you can get those cysts injected by your derm? A cortisone injection (kenalog) will knock them down in a day or two. It's an amazing thing! I've had several and what would have been a weeks or months long cyst is gone in a few days. Call your derm if you are interested! It's best to get them injected early on before they do too much damage.

P&W

Hey PimplesAndWrinkles, I asked about cortisone shots on my first visit to the derm, and they said they do not do them any more, i asked how come ? and they replied, we just dont, damn nhs !!! Every so often i apply some of this special bandage with drawing properties when mixed with warm water, it goes down a little every time, but i must get some aspirin masks again, because on the cyst below the large on by my nose, i put some aspirin on it for about 2 weeks and it completely flattened out, i was very very surprised.

Day 9

Inside of my nostrils are getting very dry now, visible peeling, also peeling on my chin mainly and some dry spots on my cheeks, my lips are peeling, dry, cracked but luckily not sore, and it doesnt bother me too much. No new acne to report on, apart from some are decreasing in size and redness by the day, but the cyst isnt, so im going to have to take my own action against it !!! lol. Sunburn has calmed down loads aswell, if i touched it yesterday it was so painful! Still red at the moment tho, hopefully it will turn into a nice tan *dreams*

I hope you feel better man! For your lips, I highly recommend Aquaphor Healing Ointment. It saved my lips from bruising and flaking, and now my lips are back to its original kisable form :) You can also use is to other falky areas

Good luck fella - i wouldn't get burned on this stuff tho as your skin is going to get thinner so you need some all day sun block if your out labouring for work and on your face esp need and spf of some kind!

Im on my 6th day but only at 40mg

Days 10 - 12

Well, lips are definitely cracking now, shedding a lot of hard skin every day, having to apply lip balm every hour or so now. My chin and around my nose is flakey in the morning, and overall the skin on my face is dry, ive noticed a reduction in oil on my forehead at the end of the day, and also on my nose and chin, but there is still some there. Im glad the side effects are coming out, like itchy eyes, itchy scalp, neck, and whole of my face itches, because atleast i know the tane is kicking in, with the antibiotics i didnt get any effects at all, which completely sucked.

Im not sure whether the tane is helping my face, or the sun tan ive caught in the past few days, due to the side effects i would take a strong guess that its the tane.

Anyhow heres a pic from yesterday, its comin on well i think, still using teeny bits of bp, and my friends have said on several occasions the cyst is getting smaller. Ive had a few small red and whiteheads pop up, one to the right of my nose on this picture, which to be perfectly honest would have been a cyst if i wasnt on tane, another under my nostril, and one on the corner of my mouth.

IPB Image

Days 13 - 14

Lips still very dry, had a huge spot come up on my neck, right by the sticking out ball bit of your spine, if you get me lol. Came up yesterday, hurted like hell, shrunk in size over night and has dried out.

When I get up in the morning now my face is very dry, im glad to see im having some sign that accutane is in my body. I cant believe its day 14, if i wasnt on tane it would probably take over a month for my face to clear up like this (provided i didnt have a breakout).

I noticed at the gym yesterday, my hips and knees wer hurting a bit, i have to point at tane for this because i go to the gym atleast every other day and have never had this pain before, never the less it wont stop me going :D

Days 14 - 17

Had 2 pretty big spots come up on the back of my neck, by the bottom of my hairline :( on day 13/14 they wer almost both cystic, now at day 17 - they are geting a lot smaller, no pain, and drying out fast.

I dont know if anyone else has experienced this, but, the blackheads on my nose have very rarely been very noticable, but now they are very black, very noticeable, and its almost like theyre slightly elevated out of my nose :cry: it looks horrible.

Ive had a small whitehead come up on my chin, it looks like its going now, but that was the first active spot ive had on my chin since treatment.

My lips are going insane lol. Theyre chapping, peeling, and cracking, never the less ive had a lot of friends comment how clear my face is at the moment, so with a bit of luck accutane will be destroying my problem forever.

Im going for my 2nd set of blood tests on friday, which is roughly 4 weeks since i started treatment (3 weeks and 3 days to be precise), then i have my derm appointment next wednesday the 16th where i should get the other 3 month supply if my blood tests are allright.

Hi Simo

Hows that nasty Cyst by your nose? I am on Accutane also and just attacked a cyst with a needle that I have had for 4 days and it just wasn't going anywhere, already it feels better but I know it will take ages to heal properly, but thats better than the pain from the cyst.

Also a tip for you, the blackheads coming out is part of the Accutane working, just leave them alone and in 2-3 weeks they will be gone, they just come out and fall out by themselves.

Happy

Hey Happy Gilmore! Hmm did u attempt the attack while it was displaying a whitehead ? Well, as for the one by my nose, its not that nasty anymore, my friends keep sayin how much its gone down, but i dont personally think its gone down that much. What happened with mine was it swelled up somthing stupid, i used this boil bandage from my mom, she uses it for her horses when they get lumps, and switches between hot and cold like a compress, after about 3 days there was a whitehead i gently pricked it and it was the most disgusting thing ever, the pus just kept flowing out and out and out i think it took about half an hour. Anyhow now i apply aspirin every other night, i did this to my other cyst and it reduced a hell of a lot, just into a red/purple mark, now 2-3 months later its almost gone. Im still dealing with the so called nasty one by my nose, i dont think its active, if it is, its one of 2 active spots i have at the moment.

Hey Simo

No I attacked mine with no whitehead, after 4 days the cyst was just staying the same, normally for me after 1-2 days whiteheads develop but with this one nothing happened and it hurt so much right beside the corner of my mouth. Right now after 1 day since I picked it, the swelling has gone down alot and there is no pain anymore and a scab is forming. I think it will take a week at least for the scab to heal and then a couple of months for the red mark to fade away.

I just thought atacking the one you have might be an option as I know for myself if I just leave them they never go away.

I tried attacking the first one i had, absolutely nothing came out, nothing at all. Its different with this one, as i say a lot came out of it a few days after, and a couple of days ago a little whitehead formed and burst in the shower and a small amount came out. I dont want to fiddle with it because i know how angry they can get, and it is fading with noticeable differences every 2-3 days

Days 18 -19

Ive had another spot come up on my chin, although yesterday it hurt quite a lot, after a night with bp and aspirin on it its gone down considerably. My lips are probably the worst theyve been so far, i have to reapply lip balm within the hour. Ive noticed an increase in sensitivity to light aswell, particularly at night, when im driving i complain if people always have their full beam on lol, and my mates assure me they havent.

Overall, my face isnt doing too bad, i think im either starting the initial breakout or almost finishing, as i say, the spot on my chin thats come up over night is probably the 4th spot ive had since the beginning of treatment.

The blackheads on my nose are virtually sticking out, its quite horrible to be fair, i hope they will go away pretty soonish :cry: ive also noticed a decrease in oil, particularly on my forehead, where it used to be quite bad although i dont get acne there.

Days 20 - 28

Had my derm appointment yesterday, got my blood test results back and all was good :D this means im staying on the accutane band wagon for the stated 16 weeks woo hooo :dance:

It was kinda funny watchin me take a carrier bag full of roaccutane out of the pharmacy, even the pharmacist and i had a laugh lol. :rolleyes:

Anyway, as people have said, the blackheads on my nose were bulging last week and now, i think there are only like 5-6 left :ninja: i cant beleive my eyes!!!!!!!!!

Everything just seems to be improving, even the cyst by my nose is going down as many people have been saying (altough i havent noticed much) I think in the last 2 weeks ive had 2 small whiteheads which literally have dissapeared in 48 hours, and the 2 big ones on my neck are continually shrinking and drying out.

Ive noticed another side effect altough, it only came up a couple of days ago, its like dry patches of skin on the back of my forearms and the tops of my shoulders, it looks like a very mild ecesma :cry: but the derm just said moisturise it a lot, so i will :)

It's been a while i believe! I think im on around week 9-10 so that makes:

Days 28 ~ 60

Well, lots has happened in this period of time, in that my face is clearing up that is. I dont think ive had a spot come up on my main problem area- my chin for over a month!!!

Ive also stopped using bp and just moisturise with eucerin and the occasional dab of bp on my cyst.

Blackheads- i honestly dont know where theyve gone! they have been completely obliterated by accutane, havent got a single one on my face at the moment, jus marks from previous acne/cysts.

I used to get pretty big spots on my neck, cystic almost, yet not one since treatment.

All was good, and to be fair all is still good in terms of clearing up apart from a little story a few days ago....

Well in the begging week of treatment i had a spot come up to the left side of my nose, it felt like it was going to be cystic and i could see a slightly enlarged pore wham bam in the middle! I thought oh no it cant be can it? Then to my surprise it had completely gone within a week, no mark no raised skin or anything.

I must be on week 9 or 10 now and unfortunately a boil/cyst/abscess has appeared where this was. There was no swelling like the other boils ive had (shown in pictures on first page) just the boil appeared quickly. There was pain for about 2 days now thats gone, in comparison to my old cysts where i must have been in pain for atleast a week.

Im sure these boils/cycsts/abcesses are not acne related, yet my diet is healthy i eat a wide variety of foods and drink enough in the day. Its not fair, and the most depressing part is it probly will take a year to fade- like the first one i had (1 year 2 months and theres stil a red mark there)

Well, here is the sucker:

IPB Image

I suppose it is the only major thing ive had in the past 2 1/2 months but still, its jus plain depressing at times, i dont want to face people because its something i havent seen anyone whilst ive been out ever have anything like it, yes i see people with small spots all over their face. Truth be told id rather have that than a big lump that takes too long to go away. People wonder why im not as confident as i should be...

Ive tried warm compresses, epsom salts paste, aspirin masks over the past 4-5 days and all i got was a tiny head with a trickle of pus, theres stil loads of crap left inside it :cry:

Anyone have any advice in how to destroy this monster?