Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Green_Vegetable_Man

Statement on Mandelic acid from skin biology founder Dr. Pickart

At Skin Biology, we hold that skin should be renewed using the molecules naturally on or in the skin. The natural hydroxy acids are lactic acid and salicylic acid.

Mandelic acid is an artificial acid and is patented for various skin care uses. It also is neurotoxic and can induce adverse effects on the peripheral nervous system and produce toxic peripheral neuropathy at concentrations of 0.03%. Neurophysiological Changes in Rats Subchronically Treated with Styrene or Its Metabolite, Junichi M, Megumi N, Wenyuan Z, Kazuo A, J Occup Health 2000; 42: 328–335. It is also being tested as a sperm inactivator and preservative.

If you use a 10% mandelic acid on your skin, and 1 mandelic acid molecule out of each 1,000 actually enters your skin, then your skin level is three times the level that caused nerve degeneration. The skin is filled with peripheral nerves.

Coming on the Late Night SciFi Channel - Happy Make-Up Junkies Turned in Mandelic Acid Zombies

http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a...53/m/5350084653

Mandelic acid kills rats at 0.4% in their bodies and causes peripheral nerve degeneration at 0.03%.

Skin is filled with peripheral nerves.

Industrial workers using styrene (for plastics) often have nerve disorders. Styrene is converted into mandelic acid in the body and it is felt that the mandelic causes the nerve damage.

http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a.../5350084653/p/3

The mandelic applied to skin would be pushed into skin - essentially about the thickess of a sheet of paper. The mandelic acid would push in as a 10% solution into a very small layer of skin. We say that 1,000 molecules remain outside for each one that gets in. So we have very large reservoir of mandelic outside constantly feeding into a very thin layer of skin. The dilution of the external mandelic would be very small and act like a infinite reservoir for a time.

This is not perfect but a good approximation and often used in such types of calculations when using calculus and differential equations. This method is also used to estimate skin concentrations of an ingredient once one knows the percentage of molecules that penetrate skin.

But I fail to see why anyone would defend mandelic acid unless they are selling it. Lactic and salicylic have been safely on our ancestor's skin for at least 100 million years.

Why would any rational person want to risk damage their peripheral nerves?

http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a.../5350084653/p/5

:D:D:D:D:D

At Skin Biology, we hold that skin should be renewed using the molecules naturally on or in the skin. The natural hydroxy acids are lactic acid and salicylic acid.

Mandelic acid is an artificial acid and is patented for various skin care uses. It also is neurotoxic and can induce adverse effects on the peripheral nervous system and produce toxic peripheral neuropathy at concentrations of 0.03%. Neurophysiological Changes in Rats Subchronically Treated with Styrene or Its Metabolite, Junichi M, Megumi N, Wenyuan Z, Kazuo A, J Occup Health 2000; 42: 328–335. It is also being tested as a sperm inactivator and preservative.

If you use a 10% mandelic acid on your skin, and 1 mandelic acid molecule out of each 1,000 actually enters your skin, then your skin level is three times the level that caused nerve degeneration. The skin is filled with peripheral nerves.

Coming on the Late Night SciFi Channel - Happy Make-Up Junkies Turned in Mandelic Acid Zombies

http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a...53/m/5350084653

Mandelic acid kills rats at 0.4% in their bodies and causes peripheral nerve degeneration at 0.03%.

Skin is filled with peripheral nerves.

Industrial workers using styrene (for plastics) often have nerve disorders. Styrene is converted into mandelic acid in the body and it is felt that the mandelic causes the nerve damage.

http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a.../5350084653/p/3

The mandelic applied to skin would be pushed into skin - essentially about the thickess of a sheet of paper. The mandelic acid would push in as a 10% solution into a very small layer of skin. We say that 1,000 molecules remain outside for each one that gets in. So we have very large reservoir of mandelic outside constantly feeding into a very thin layer of skin. The dilution of the external mandelic would be very small and act like a infinite reservoir for a time.

This is not perfect but a good approximation and often used in such types of calculations when using calculus and differential equations. This method is also used to estimate skin concentrations of an ingredient once one knows the percentage of molecules that penetrate skin.

But I fail to see why anyone would defend mandelic acid unless they are selling it. Lactic and salicylic have been safely on our ancestor's skin for at least 100 million years.

Why would any rational person want to risk damage their peripheral nerves?

http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a.../5350084653/p/5

I'm confused. I havent read the entire thread referred to by the links above, but its seems they they are talking about peripheral neuropathy of the whole body as a result of systemic absorption. This is unrealistic.

They don't seem to have mentioned neuropathy of the facial skin... that's what i'd be a lot more concerned about. Anyone shed any light on that?

Wow! ..quite the eye opener! Thanks for the heads-up Melbourne..seeeee, another reason why you should stay on this board..completely selfish on my part, but a great reason none the less.. :)

Wow! ..quite the eye opener! Thanks for the heads-up Melbourne..seeeee, another reason why you should stay on this board..completely selfish on my part, but a great reason none the less.. :)

If you are going to take this on board, then at least read the whole thread that has been referred to!

It is NOT proven that mandelic acid causes a peripheral neuropathy in humans. The dose which we get in our circulation is absolutely negligible.

The post you are referring to is only an eye opener if you believe everything you read without insight. To anyone who's concerned about this, i'd suggest you read the whole thread (of the links posted by Melbourne, above).

On another board Pickart was posting this same info but couldn't back up any of the claims. The rat trial was injected mandelic acid into the tail. The percentage of mandelic used (another member did the math) would be equal to about 4 bottles of mandelic injected straight into your bloodstream. So yeah, don't beleive it I would say.

SOmeone else pointed out that Pickart basically attacked any product that he/she didn't make and sell.

I've used Vivant Mandelic Acid and Garden of Wisdom Mandellic (both w/ and w/o alcohol) and both have worked great to shrink pores and reduce acne. I won't go a day w/o using it.

On another board Pickart was posting this same info but couldn't back up any of the claims. The rat trial was injected mandelic acid into the tail. The percentage of mandelic used (another member did the math) would be equal to about 4 bottles of mandelic injected straight into your bloodstream. So yeah, don't beleive it I would say.

SOmeone else pointed out that Pickart basically attacked any product that he/she didn't make and sell.

Yeah, I saw this issue discussed on the SkinCare board over at Diana Yvonne.

In addition to the points made above ........ Pickart is a big proponent of salicylic acid and a lot of his products contain it, so he does have a personal axe to grind by trying to discredit mandelic.