Notifications
Clear all

Hair dying while on accutane

MemberMember
(@mima)

Posted : 07/21/2006 4:38 am

Hey, I know it says not to dye your hair while on accutane, but has anyone actually tried it and had bad results? Will it make my hair fall out?

MemberMember
(@beauty-bot)

Posted : 07/21/2006 9:43 am

I don't know but I'm getting mine done next week..... I can't let my hair go for 6 months without, my hair would look like crap!

I can let you know how it works out :)

MemberMember
(@strawberries)

Posted : 07/21/2006 10:01 am

I am a hairdresser and colored my hair while on accutane. Just be sure to get a really good mask and do it once a week. I would only color not bleach.

MemberMember
(@kirstin)

Posted : 07/21/2006 10:46 am

Damn, I don't know what I am going to do...I have to get my hair highlighted! Crap! Should I just dye it and go back to brown (which I totally HATE)?

K

MemberMember
(@beentheredonethat)

Posted : 07/21/2006 10:56 am

It's a judgement call based on how your hair is handling the treatment. If you have been good about not over shampooing, properly conditioning, avoiding damage from heat styling, etc. then you are probably ok to use a haircolor product. You'll need to use deep conditioners to prevent breakage - your hair really relies on scalp oil to maintain it's health, and on Accutane you basically have none. As the poster above noted, bleaching is a lot more risky. I personally colored my hair once during my last course with a gentle Natural Instincts formula that only has a bit of peroxide, no ammonia and my hair was fine. Natural Instincts only works if you are staying close to your natural shade though.

But if your hair is already fried from dryness you don't want to add more damage to the equation or you risk serious breakage.

MemberMember
(@beauty-bot)

Posted : 07/21/2006 11:37 am

I'd never let anything from a store ("out of a box") touch my hair....

I'm planning to let my hair gather some oil for 4 days before getting it highlighted next saturday at a salon...... I'm very good to my hair and am using special products while on accutane (see signature). My hair dresser also knows I'm on accutane and is helping me.

Now that I know there is an interest, I will for sure update on this thread and PM anyone that would like to know how it goes

:D

MemberMember
(@kirstin)

Posted : 07/21/2006 6:03 pm

Thanks Jess! I definately would like to know!

K

MemberMember
(@hiflyer)

Posted : 07/21/2006 6:14 pm

I use a straightening iron almost every day on my hair and it seems to be ok so far.

i know this is bad even without accutane but humidity is the devil.

MemberMember
(@bethk)

Posted : 07/21/2006 11:48 pm

I use a straightening iron almost every day on my hair and it seems to be ok so far.

i know this is bad even without accutane but humidity is the devil.

I live in Florida, humidity is defintely the devil. I can't live without my hair straightner. There is just no way that I'll be able to stop using the Chi after I start Accutane...just no way.

MemberMember
(@mima)

Posted : 07/22/2006 1:24 am

I'd never let anything from a store ("out of a box") touch my hair....

I'm planning to let my hair gather some oil for 4 days before getting it highlighted next saturday at a salon...... I'm very good to my hair and am using special products while on accutane (see signature). My hair dresser also knows I'm on accutane and is helping me.

Now that I know there is an interest, I will for sure update on this thread and PM anyone that would like to know how it goes

:D

Yes! Please let me know how it goes!

My hair is quite dry from accutane...I'm only washing it once every 7 days or so, but I've got a really good conditioning treatment. I'm getting it cut a LOT shorter because the ends are going to suffer from being dry, I'm just really paranoid about my hair falling out. Bald women are scary!! :)

Keep us updated, and let us know a while after as well, to see if it's had any serious affects!

Thanks everyone, you guys keep me sane :)

MemberMember
(@gosaints04)

Posted : 07/22/2006 12:07 pm

I colored my hair throughout my course of Accutane, even getting highlights. My sister is a hair stylist and she suggested that I deep condition my hair more than once a week, which I believe helped immensely. You don't have to completely alter your appearance or stop doing what you've been doing. I just wouldn't recommend bleaching all of my hair to go blonde or something. I also continued to use heat styling aids. If you haven't tried it, I would suggest trying Chi's Silk Infusion. I've used salon quality products forever and this is the best thing I've ever come across. It makes my hair so soft.

I'm in Louisiana, so I know what you guys mean about humidity!

MemberMember
(@peavey)

Posted : 07/22/2006 4:08 pm

As an extremely vain young man, I'm quite worried about accutane's effect on my hair. I'm starting my course in a few days time, and I have naturally dry, brittle hair. I'd really appreciate any tips on haircare during a course of accutane.

MemberMember
(@chitownqt)

Posted : 07/22/2006 6:26 pm

I highlighted my hair during my course, in the 2nd month, I believe. I dried out my hair and caused breakage. Now, this might have been prevented if I was careful w/ my hair and did deep conditioning treatments, but I didnt. So I havent highlighted my hair in the past FOUR months!! Imagine what my roots look like! I have 4 more days of accutane left and I cant wait to run to the salon!

MemberMember
(@mima)

Posted : 07/23/2006 2:21 am

recommendations for a good hair treatment? maybe a leave in conditioner or something - i don't know, but I'd rather my hair was in as good condition as possible when I got it coloured. I live in Australia if that makes a difference to product availability...I'm so useless when it comes to things like this!!

MemberMember
(@sage)

Posted : 07/23/2006 9:31 am

i tried putting black dye in my hair when i was 1-2 months into accutane... the test on the back of my ear burnt the f* out of my skin and left a scabby mark for days... if i had gone straight to my scalp i would probably need to go to hosiptal or something.

remember the damage that the chemicals in hair dye can do to your skin, not just your hair.

i also know that when i was bleaching some clothes I got bleach on my hand and it left huge red welts for over a week, whereas i had handled pure bleach easily in the past with no problems.

MemberMember
(@oliveroses)

Posted : 07/24/2006 9:24 am

I dyed my hair 2 months after I started tane and while it is extremely dry, I just wash my hair with conditioner several times a week to keep it moisturized and soft. I use shampoo just one a week because the more I shampoo my hair, the more it dries it out.

MemberMember
(@beentheredonethat)

Posted : 07/24/2006 10:22 am

recommendations for a good hair treatment? maybe a leave in conditioner or something -

My favorite leave-in is Paul Mitchell's basic leave-in. It's nicely lightweight but very effective.

MemberMember
(@holly_08)

Posted : 07/24/2006 5:01 pm

I couldn't ever dye or bleach my hair...not in it's current condition. And I'm considering a second round of accutane. I know it's gonna devastate my hair. It's already been thinning for two years.

MemberMember
(@beentheredonethat)

Posted : 07/25/2006 8:48 am

It's already been thinning for two years.

Have you seen an endocrinologist? Thinning hair combined with acne can be a sign of the sort of hormonal upset that Accutane usually can't cure. Do you have any signs of insulin resistance, irregular periods, unwanted hair growth on the body?

MemberMember
(@holly_08)

Posted : 07/25/2006 3:04 pm

Have you seen an endocrinologist? Thinning hair combined with acne can be a sign of the sort of hormonal upset that Accutane usually can't cure. Do you have any signs of insulin resistance, irregular periods, unwanted hair growth on the body?

No, never seen an endo. While hormones may play a part in what's going on with me, I don't believe it to be a major slice of the pie. My issue was predominantly because I wasn't eating very well when I started college. I've got all of what you mentioned except for the insulin part, but it's never really been a problem for me fortunately regarding hair. I was seriously undernourished.

After a lot of debating I figured I need the Accutane, there's no doubt about it. BC's might have done the trick, mabey 3-4 months from now, but I am scarring all over again. I'm not waiting anymore. First course of tane I cleared up in about 3 weeks.

Last visit to the derm, he stated he wanted to up my dose on Doryx, I did. Then he said he'll go for the BC's with the Doryx. He's just fooling around with my time and face. Time I don't have and don't want to wait. I've quit all topicals and caused a major flare up. Worse than the last time my derm saw. He'll definitely prescribe Accutane this time around.

MemberMember
(@beentheredonethat)

Posted : 07/25/2006 3:31 pm

I've got all of what you mentioned except for the insulin part, but it's never really been a problem for me fortunately regarding hair.

I would not be surprised if you did have insulin resistance and just didn't know it.

If you have acne, irregular periods (this is a huge red flag), thinning hair on the scalp, and hirsutism (extra body hair) you absolutely should see an endo before considering Accutane. These are classic symptoms of PCOS and indicate hormonal issues. Accutane usually can not produce remission in these cases - you'd be wasting an awful lot of time, money, and energy if that's what's going on with you.

MemberMember
(@holly_08)

Posted : 07/25/2006 3:59 pm

I've got all of what you mentioned except for the insulin part, but it's never really been a problem for me fortunately regarding hair.

I would not be surprised if you did have insulin resistance and just didn't know it.

If you have acne, irregular periods (this is a huge red flag), thinning hair on the scalp, and hirsutism (extra body hair) you absolutely should see an endo before considering Accutane. These are classic symptoms of PCOS and indicate hormonal issues. Accutane usually can not produce remission in these cases - you'd be wasting an awful lot of time, money, and energy if that's what's going on with you.

Yes, I do have PCOS (one small cyst). Accutane cleared me for 7 years. I don't think I've found any other more semi-permanent solution other than Accutane. In regards to finances: No worries, I have insurance ($10 generic Sotret caps months supply :) ) Hormonal therapy, IMO would probably be more expensive.

MemberMember
(@beentheredonethat)

Posted : 07/26/2006 10:09 am

Well in that case - good luck to you. :)

MemberMember
(@kirstin)

Posted : 07/26/2006 10:44 am

I have a friend that just went to an endo, after she belived that acctane caused her hairloss. That doctor claims that, unfortunately, yes it is due to the accutane and there is nothing she can do about it.

MemberMember
(@holly_08)

Posted : 07/27/2006 2:07 pm

Yes, Accutane is well known to cause hair shedding, but it is supposed to be temporary. Emphasis on 'supposed'. Lol! :)

A high intake of Vit E some people claim have helped reverse the side effects including hair shedding. I don't want to experiment. A 1000IU minimum intake is necessary for some people.

High dosing of Vit A (Accutane) AND high dosing on Vit E?!! That's harsh...