Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Regi_1

What can a guy use for shiny skin?

My forehead gets really shiny in the middle just above my eyebrows ever since i have been using the regimen. Also the skin in that area kind of looks like an orange peel. It was never like this before the regimen and i find this is a worse problem then my acne was. It really shows up in pictures and i am in a wedding next week which mean lots of pics, so wondering if there is anything that i can use to prevent the shine?

You can certainly blot it all day long w/ kleenex, toilet paper, etc. or specially made blotting sheets.

There are seemingly thousands of "oil absorbing" topicals that you could apply. Stuff like: http://www.dermadoctor.com/product.asp?pro...4A49D34F9270%7D

But since you could probably search around and find out lots of stuff on your own, I especially wanted to post and state that I recently rediscovered neutrogen's 2.5% bp ("on the spot"), and it's probably the best mattifier, i.e., shine reducer I've used.

My oil is ridiculous so it by no means keeps me shine free, but it always did and still does significantly help. The clearskin regime bp seemed to go on and stay shiny pretty much from the get go for me. Could be cuz my porers are really clogged, etc.

But the neutrogen bp says it has "oil absorbing" stuff in it (or used to say that, I think it still does) and for me it definitely helps.

The negative is that it is thick and can cake on if you're not careful. And applying stuff on top of it, like sunscreen can creat issues, caused it to flake off, etc. But I spead as little as I can.

Give it a try if you haven't already and good luck!

Also people say Milk of Magnesia helps. See: http://www.paulaschoice.com.au/learn/artic...SKIN&ID=113

Even though we're guys, makeupalley.com has lots of good info on the millions of products out there. I discovered that site not too long ago and find the review on various products to be very helpful. What sucks is what works for one person may not help at all for another. Thus, you pretty much need to experiment and hope you stumbled on something helpful.

how about some translucent powder to make your face look matt. Its basically like talc thats skin coloured. it does not show up but will make your face look dry

My advice would be to only wash twice a day, and apply topical then moisturiser after each. I'd recommend St.Ives daily moisturiser. I don't know what topical, or combinations of topicals, you're using, but it could be that these are too harsh and your face is over-compensating with oil.

The key thing is to be consistent though. The biggest problem i used to have was i'd be all the time trying different topicals and moisturisers, and consequently my face never got time to adjust. Also, over-washing was a mistake i used to make.

Good luck.

Hey, I read your post about blotting with kleenex's, is it just as good as Blotting Papers? I mean it worked very well and was nice and soft. I was just wondering if kleenex tissues are sterile and won't clog pores etc? Sometimes tissues can be very dusty.

I don't blot with kleenex just because they seem to have alot of loose fibers, ya know.

Blot with a clean dry napkin, paper towel, blotting sheet, or those little papers that you can buy to use when rolling hair for a perm.

I don't know what topical, or combinations of topicals, you're using, but it could be that these are too harsh and your face is over-compensating with oil.

Your face doesn't "over-compensate" with oil. That's an Old Wives' Tale.

Bryan

My face is so oily, I often get "you're face looks sweaty" amd "you have a shiny forehead" of course these are from friends and family but it's annoying they think it's sweat when it's actually OIL. I feel like wiping them with it so they know, but that's gross? Maybe fry our dinner with it LOL there's enough.

Bryan

No it isn't.

Jon.

Bryan

No it isn't.

Trust me, it is.

Bryan, I know you've hashed out the overcompensate theory to death, and I don't mean to re-hash here and don't intend to, but I saw this site the other day and thought this was interesting and wanted to know what your take is. It's not really the overcompensate theory, or is it?

"Oily skin and dry skin are caused by the same problem, too much dead skin cell buildup. It is just that in the case of oily skin, the "oil glands" pump excessive oil to moisturize the dead skin, which can cause the pores to expand and become large, with dry skin they do not. By using our Aloe Enzyme to remove dead skin cells on a regular basis, oil production will eventually return to normal, and your pores will shrink. (Approx. 5 to 6 weeks). It is sometimes necessary to do a second treatment course to get the pores back to normal."

http://www.freeskinconsultation.com/googleuk-oily_skin.htm

I've never gone aggressive w/ acids in the past, but I am sorta now. Currently using 2% salycylic acid at night and in the morning. We'll see if that helps, though I really hope it helps unclog the pores, it if reduces oil that'd be a nice bonus.

That quote doesn't explain why some skin is dry and some is oily. If they both have lots of dead skin layers, why is one person's oil glands trying to moisturize the dead skin layers, while another persons oil glands are not?

Oh well. Oily skin sucks really, really bad, especially when it's ridiculously oily like mine. :( Though, if I had minimal redness, clear pores and decent texture and no acne, I could probably live w/ the insane oil. Not sure it's possible to have that and still have crazy oil, but we'll see.... I'm in hardcore experimentation mode. :D

Bryan, I know you've hashed out the overcompensate theory to death, and I don't mean to re-hash here and don't intend to, but I saw this site the other day and thought this was interesting and wanted to know what your take is. It's not really the overcompensate theory, or is it?

My take on it is that it's just a variation of the "feedback theory". After I provided plenty of evidence against the old idea that skin-washing causes the sebaceous glands to start producing more oil just because the skin likes to have a certain amount of oil sitting on the surface, several people here started taking a somewhat different approach, and tried to say that the glands produce more oil just to "moisturize" the skin. However, I've presented evidence against THAT notion, too. Sebum doesn't moisturize the skin. So that site is trying to sell you something based on a false premise.

Bryan

i agree about the Loreal Oil Control mosturizer. It works fairly well, and it is designed to not clog pores, etc...

Hey Bryan, sorry for the belated thank you, but thank you!

I'm pretty much sold on the concept that one should try to be gentle when they wash their face, just for gentle's sake if nothing else.

Hmm... might have to try the Loreal stuff. Two solid props in one thread!