Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Necromancer

You Could Always Have Acne And...

So you think your acne is terrible? Even if you have the most severe of all acne, Acne Conglobata or Acne Fulminans, it can still get worse.

What if you had acne & were bald?

Acne and had glasses?

Acne and had a mouth full of braces?

Acne and no teeth?

Acne and crippled?

Acne and missing a limb?

Acne and were poor?

Acne and overweight?

Acne and obese?

Acne and anorexic?

Acne and really short?

Acne and really tall (and not good at any sports)?

Acne and mentally challenged?

And any combination of these. You should be saying "Thank God I just have acne because things could be a lot worse :D "

:ninja:

Guest Spike Rules89

what if you were all these things, and your house collasped?

All suffering is relative. A person born blind, weak and frail is never going to know what they're missing and would not suffer as badly as someone who is born physically capable with eyesight but then becomes blind and weak later in life.

All suffering is relative. A person born blind, weak and frail is never going to know what they're missing and would not suffer as badly as someone who is born physically capable with eyesight but then becomes blind and weak later in life.

Ray Charles

I've got acne, I'm really short (not even 5' tall) and I'm classified under the autism spectrum.........oh and I'm getting braces....... :rolleyes:

thats wrong, because maybe if the blind person lived on their own they would not know, but if they live in a society orientated around sight then they will feel relatively deprived.

I should probably warn you, Necromancer. Speaking about relative pain doesn't do much for this audience. When I first came onto the boards, I tried telling people that if I could go through a childhood/adolescence filled with rapes, beatings, foster homes, crisis centers, psych wards, etc etc, then *they* could get through acne, too -

I mostly got flamed. Some sympathetic responses, some hopeful and inspired ones - but mostly - flamed.

*shrug* I guess pain really is relative, from what I've seen.

Guest yoyoma

I should probably warn you, Necromancer. Speaking about relative pain doesn't do much for this audience. When I first came onto the boards, I tried telling people that if I could go through a childhood/adolescence filled with rapes, beatings, foster homes, crisis centers, psych wards, etc etc, then *they* could get through acne, too -

I mostly got flamed. Some sympathetic responses, some hopeful and inspired ones - but mostly - flamed.

Wow I guess they can flame me then....there is NOTHING worse than childhood rape/beatings/psych wards...any of those people who think having acne is worse than those things really need to put things into perspective.

*hugs* for you Elsewhere

Really.

Guest Spike Rules89

what if a bear eat your penis, man that would suck.

through school i had acne, wore glasses and had bent teeth...

luckily for me my acne is now very mild + i wear contacts, teeth still a lil crooked and i cant afford braces yet, will get em sorted in a year or two though.

A bear? Oooouuucch.........although probably better than a mouse. At least with a bear, the pain *should* be over in one munch.....

thanks, yoyoma. The funny thing is that while most days, I can generally say "Yep, I feel it worse", on my more humane days, I say "Pain is pain and it all hurts."

Maybe, for me, it's easier to think about how much worse it could be because I've ALREADY lived it worse. It's much harder for anyone who hasn't been through anything more painful than thier acne to think about how it could ever get worse. And that's okay, when it comes right down to it. That's *thier* worse that they will compare later pain with down the road in thier life. The acne is what they will be thinking of when they think "It could be worse", just like me and those years of my life.

Now, if I could just learn paitence to think like this everyday..........

With all due respect polka I used that example because throughout my first year of university I went to school with someone who had been blind since age 3 and suffered from a host of ailments all deriving from one disease. Vicarious accounts of what seeing is like does not even come close to what actual seeing is like. So when I say to someone who has been blind since birth (or age 3 when they can't remember ever seeing) "A tree is very beautiful" what the hell does that mean to them? Likewise, they aren't going to as upset as someone who went blind later in life and knows how beautiful a tree really is.

By the way, how does a blind person live on their own from birth? Of course they're going to know that others see but for them it would be the same as trying to explain what music is to a deaf person. Bottom line, they do not know what they're missing and, in the case where there is no chance of recovery, they are better off for it.

So then it's not a matter of the signifigance of the *actual* disability, but rather what it caused them to lose?

Makes sense. Even in my case, in a roundabout fashion. What pisses me off about my childhood was not so much that I had it so bad - but that lots of people had it good and I didn't.

WHATS WRONG with being really short. I'm 5 feet, and I'm doing just fine

pfft this is an acne support forum yes all those other things are horrible but it doesn't do one bit of good for people who are suffering through it.............because in the end they just wanna clear up is that so bad?

Well, perspective doesn't make the pain go away - and anyone who tells you that is on way too many meds. What it does do, however, is give you enough breathing room to make it through one more day through the pain.

And that, for any pain, is a gift.

I think flaming you is harsh but at the same time this is a specific site for people to talk about acne and how they are feeling. If people think you should just get on with life and feel grateful etc then what is the point in having this page. It is all relative and everyone's life is full of different dynamics but i do feel other people's pain so on top of having acne i also feel very bad for the pain that other people suffer in life. I think to much so i tend not to listen to the news or anything case there is so much suffering in this world.

I find comfort in the fact that although there are some truely horrible people in this world that there are also some really caring nice people, strangers who feel for someone they havnt met, empathy is key and trying to look through the posters eyes is the best way.

I do feel for you tho very much!

lol - touche' and good point, Aldone. On my better days, that is exactly what I try to do. Look through the poster's eyes.

I agree. I tried to talk about my issues with the mental health system, being on meds that made me sick, a struggle with OCD/ADD/Anxiety etc. and usually got flamed and told my disorder wasn't even real or physical but something socially consturcted and not a real affliction.

one jackass said they didn't need anymore OCD people on the boards.

you'd be amazed at the number of hyporcits you'll find here so don't worry if this thread deteriorates.

Guest yoyoma

lol - I'm 5'1, so I hear you on that one!

:wub: