Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I thought I would start a log in order to really see my progress over the next few months. Let me start by a little but of background. I'm 18 years old (male) and have had acne for about 6 years now. It has always been mild to moderate, however seemed to evolve when I was 15. I began breaking out with huge painful cysts all over, so off to the derm I went. I went on Accutane for 6 months, which cleared me completely, however about 5 months after, the breakouts returned. They were basically mild to moderate, so I used the duac topical from my GP, however it did not seem to help much. At 17, I decided to take another trip to the derm since my acne had been getting worse, especially with the introduction of a few cycsts. I had hoped she would prescribe another round of accutane, however my acne was not nearly as bad as before - only moderately bad. In addition, she said that our current councilman had waged war on accutane because his son had committed suicide while on it, and therefore he blamed the drug. As a result, numerous tests as well as steep costs were part of the package. She also said that with the new regulations, she would not prescribe the drug unless all other methods failed. As a result, i was put on doxycycline 100mg 2x day and benzyclin topical at night (had been on it for 2 months already with no results). The first three weeks brought horrific breakouts, however I continued with hope. The next month seemed to amaze me as I cleared remarkably well, however i was left with tremendous amounts of hyperpigmentation. Nevertheless, this could not last as the breakouts slowly returned the following month. The drug seemed to just quit on me. I returned to the derm, who wanted me to continue for a few months. This brought me here as I searched the web for a solution. I start college in the fall, and would like to have confidence and be able to enjoy the whole experience. This gave me about 2.5 months before in day, which gives me hope to at least look a bit better before then.

Current Status: Day 11

I have been on the regimen for 11 days using Purpose liquid cleanser, on the spot 2.5% bp, and Neutrogena oil-free moisturizer. I have been alternating now the moistuizer with the healthy skin with glycolic, and am waiting for dan's csr gel to arrive since absorbtion has been rather terrible the past 2 days. A very good improvement has been seen so far. Here is my current state:

3 spots on forehead

2 spots lower right cheek, 1 spot upper right cheek, Lots of red marks

2 spots lower left cheek, red marks all over

Day 12:

Spot on lower right cheek has become a white head. Will drain later. :dance:

A few blemishes around hairline - washing hat since i believe it is due to sweat at work since the a/c is broken :cry:

Otherwise, no new spots.

Day 13

Drained whitehead on lower right cheek - red mark left

Small spot forming on upper left forehead

Small whitehead forming on mid left cheel - drained

Otherwise, things looking good.

Day 14 -

SOoooo uterly depressed today-

new spot by lower left mouth

new spot (a big one :( ) on mid right cheek

new spot on lower right jawline

Other small spots :mad:

One of my worst breakouts in a while - hope this is my two week breakout as listed in the "what to expect"

I know I will be depressed all day - sad, ohh well

Hope to clear up soon - Awaiting the csr gel

Thanks for the post Shelby :D Hope all is well with you.

Update: Day 15 - Hurray week 3! :dance::dance:

No new spots today, but still getting adjusted to yesterday's tidal wave

Bottom left spot has shrunk considerably

Bottom right spot has stayed about the same

Mid right spot formed a whitehead - may drain later today

Here's hoping there is no repeat of the 2nd week breakout.

Day 16 -

Last night i decided to up my bp to the full amount as well as use a bit more moisturizer.

All I can say is wow :dance:

The spot on my lower right cheek shrunk dramatically

The spot on my lower right cheek is gone - drained yesterday

The spot on my mid left cheek is now a red spot - drained

No new spots today, only 2 very small whiteheads on my nose

Hi Matt,

Glad the CSR seems to be working its magic on you too! Stick with it - I think Dan's What To Expect page can be a bit optimistic for some of us, but hopefully you'll be totally clear by the time you start college. :)

Best of luck! :cool:

Thanks for the support tinman. I must agree with you - the what to expect page is highly optomistic and although i may need those few extra weeks, it's nice to have some sort of template. Anyways, best of luck to you.

Posting the evening of day 16 -

I have found using the full amount of bp is irritating my skin a lot - lots of flakes, excessive redness, especially around my eyes.

I feel a few spots forming, 1 on my upper right cheek 1 on my mid right cheek, and 1 on my forehead.

I will be applying extra bp on these as well as spot treating every 3 hours or so.

Still awating Dan's csr gel - hope it arrives tomorrow =)

After irritation decreases, I will start using Neutrogena Healthy skin lotion with AHA twice a day instead of just at night, however will continue only once a day for at least another week or two.

Here's to hoping the spots that are forming disappear by morning. :pray::pray:

Day 17- The Good and the Bad

A spot on my upper left cheek bone surfaced after weeks - drained

I can feel a spot under my skin on my mid left cheek that is not yet visible - will spot treat every 3 hours

Upper right spot decreased significantly

Lower right spot gone after only 5 days :shock:

Lower right spot on cheek bone finally surfaced - drained

Although I will have red spots galore, I'm so excited to be free of those deep spots that you can feel but cannot see.

Edit - Evening

Ohhh the horror

I got home from work only to discover my upper right spot has regained life and now is becoming a whitehead. I feel a nasty red mark in the near future. :evil:

Day 18

Ohh man...I tried to pop the spot on my upper right cheek :wall::wall: It was not yet ready and is now more inflamed.

Other spots are fading well.

Neutrogena Heathy Skin is helping to fade red marks considerably.

Still waiting for CSR gel. Maybe today!

Day 18 con't-

I bumped up my bp this week to about 75%, and my sensitive skin is just a mess. I am so dry and the areas around my eyes and nose are red and seem to have lost a layer of skin. Ever since I began this regimen, I have noticed that my skin does not become oily during the day, so I have been moisturizing twice a day. I guess I will lower my bp for a while and then slowly...VERY slowly work up to the full amount.

Too bad I'm having a nasty breakout due to the extra dryness. :wall:

Day 19

Uggg :wall:

I'm so dry still...And I can feel my breakout coming. Small bumps are forming around my mouth, however they are too small to be noticeable. I will be dabbing bp on every few hours to those problem areas. :pray:

Old spots are fading, although the one on my upper right left a beast of redness.

Day 19 update-

The dryness is definitely getting to me - 2 new spots appeared after work and I can see a third forming.

For the next few days I may just spot treat and moisturize frequently.

The only positice thing is that my csr gel arrived today :dance:

Here's to hoping the breakout subsides fast.

Day 20

The dryness and accompanied breakout continue -

Drained whitehead that formed on upper right spot

Two spots currently forming on my upper and mid left cheek.

Only spot treating today with bp and using lots of moisturizer.

Day 20 con't

Still dry, but nor nearly as much. I took the suggestion of moisturizing in between using bp (twice), which has helped a lot.

No new spots since this morning, however old ones from breakout still here :cry:

Going to the beach tomorrow, so I hope that won't dry me out any more.

Day 21

Feeling like crap =/

I have 3 spots that refuse to surface on my left cheek. :wall:

Other spots are clearing, although leaving red marks :wall:

Maybe the BP is keeping them from surfacing. which is good right. I have like 5 red spots on my right side that arent surfacing, but i think they would have been huge cysts if they did. Keep treating them and im sure they will go away soon. good luck

I hope they go away and don't just linger.

I much prefer a smooth and red blotchy tone as opposed to a bumpy texture.

I always get really depressed when I have active spots that last a long time =/

Uggg a quick note.

My left side was doing sooo well the last 2 weeks, and today it just exploded.

I recall last night I forgot to take doxycycline pill since I was out all night with my gf.

What a way to end week 3 :(

Day 22

Omg week 4 already??! :think:

I'm a little happier this morning. No new spots, and many of my red spots have faded since i used aha moisture twice yesterday due to the frustration of my beakout.

Hope these new ones clear soon, although some are still under the skin and refuse to surface.

Day 23

No new spots

Lots of red spots, old one fadng

The one I tried popping yesterday is finally forming a head.

Update-

Ugggg the spot I tried to pop yesterday has become a monster. It seems to be forming two heads :( and is hummongusly big. I haven't had one of these since the day after grad night, which was like 2 months ago. I'm so depressed today. Thank god it's my day off from work, although tomorrow is another story if this thing remains. :wall:

Day 25

No new Spots

The monster on my left cheek is finally dying, although it is leavin a ridiculously large red mark.

Needless to say I think I can now venture back into my normal routine and actually go out with my gf today instead of making some lame excuse.