Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest chipmunk_spunk

How was accutane discovered?

Guest chipmunk_spunk

How the hell do you go about creating/discovering a drug like accutane?

How the hell do you go about creating/discovering a drug like accutane?

Same way they create any other drug. Someone discovers the compound in a research lab and puts it in a database (and usually patents it), then someone goes looking for compounds with certain structures that they think will do what they want them to do, then someone tests the compound for efficacy in animal models, then someone figures out a formulation and dosage that will work in humans, then it goes to clinical trials and eventually is approved and marketed. Well, that's the simplified version, anyway. Basically there are people whose job it is to make molecules all day long and eventually someone figures out that one of those molecules does something good that can potentially be used as a drug.

Guest chipmunk_spunk

But accutane takes a long time to work. So the people it was tested on would have to have acne, and keep taking the drug (in spite of the side effects) for months.

But accutane takes a long time to work. So the people it was tested on would have to have acne, and keep taking the drug (in spite of the side effects) for months.

Yup. That's right. Clinical trials can last from a couple months to over a year. There are also three phases of clinical trials in the U.S. system. Drug development takes YEARS.

I've heard that Accutane was first a form of chemotherapy before they found out it can prevent acne too.

Hmmm... perhaps it's the other way around?

http://www.chemocare.com/BIO/accutane.asp

Google disappoints me... I tried several combinations of isotretinoin, chemotherapy, and accutane but nothing whill tell me which treatment is the chicken and which is the egg...

AS far as I know, and I can't remember where I read this...it was first found out that vitamin A prevents acne from forming. This was discovered when several men went out on a fishing trip in Antartica, got lost, and had to eat a polar bear liver to survive. Unfortunatly, the liver contained some obscene amount of vitamin A, and all but one died. The changes in the skin of the one that survived were noted, and vitamin A began to become studied reagrding its affects on acne :)

I've heard that Accutane was first a form of chemotherapy before they found out it can prevent acne too.

Labgirl says that this is true, but i've never seen the supporting info (i don't doubt her). Supposedly they were running a chemo trial and noticed that patients experienced remarkeable clearing of acne - at that point they switched gears and started considering it an acne treatment. But it is an effective chemo agent due to it's effect on fast dividing cells.

Guest chipmunk_spunk

Hmmm, interesting. I can see how that^ would work.

i'll tell you how accutane was discovered. They were lookin for a way to put an innocent person who didn't do shit to anybody through hell for 5 months, so accutane was born! Way to go roche laboratories, you succeeded in finding a way to capture hell in a pill!! And thank you I-pledge! Your stupid worthless program which doesn't do anything, adds insult to injury. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Guest WolfPleb

i'll tell you how accutane was discovered. They were lookin for a way to put an innocent person who didn't do shit to anybody through hell for 5 months, so accutane was born! Way to go roche laboratories, you succeeded in finding a way to capture hell in a pill!! And thank you I-pledge! Your stupid worthless program which doesn't do anything, adds insult to injury. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I didn't mind it too much actually.

And it did actually work; it's still the gold standard acne treatment.

I didn't mind it too much actually.

And it did actually work; it's still the gold standard acne treatment.

Its a gamble, results vary. It worked for me, just my side effects out weighes my results by alot, and my face still looks bad at times despite what i went through.

Gold what...id only give this to people who are willing to kill themselves over acne.

Guest chipmunk_spunk

For the majority of people with bad acne, accutane is a blessing.

Yes point taken but if doctors were educated you would not need to take this pill!!!!

Guest chipmunk_spunk

Its a gamble, results vary. It worked for me, just my side effects out weighes my results by alot, and my face still looks bad at times despite what i went through.

What were the side effects for you?

Yes point taken but if doctors were educated you would not need to take this pill!!!!

If doctors were educated!? Okay, you're obviously not being serious there. Anyway, the fact is, severe acne cannot be cured by anything other than accutane.

What were the side effects for you?

If doctors were educated!? Okay, you're obviously not being serious there. Anyway, the fact is, severe acne cannot be cured by anything other than accutane.

1st of I am serious and you are wrong about accutane.

If doctors were tought how the body worked and helped people work with it then people will cure themselves almost by miricale. But thats not good for business having people curethemselves...so doctors will instead use there only attack that is DRUGS!!! Drugs that attack the symptoms of acne and not the cause my friend. This in turn brings MILLIONS of revenue so there happy and aint 2 fusey if ur cure urself or not.

(take cancer for example...what KILLS cancer? ALKALINE blood full of OXYGEN...u ever seen what happens when cancer cells come into contact with oxygen? It kills it like a shotgun blast!!!!!!! But what do doctors do? blast ur body with a poisen and hope it kills the bacteria before killing the patient!!!!)

Guest chipmunk_spunk

Okay jodiat, stop being a fruitcake and think about what you're saying please.

1: Accutane does tackle the cause of acne. It is a cure for acne, not a temporary prevention.

2: You can't prevent severe acne by anything other than accutane

3: That thing you said about cancer is the most ridiculous thing I've heard since Nicki left the Big Brother house. If there was a more effective treatment of cancer than chemotherapy IT WOULD BE USED. And bacteria does not cause cancer fool, it is the mutation of cell DNA!!

By the way monoclonal antibodies have been developed which bind specifically with cancerous cells. Drugs are bonded to the monoclonal antibodies so that these drugs specifically target cancer cells. This minimises side effects and helps prevent damage to healthy cells.

Okay jodiat, stop being a fruitcake and think about what you're saying please.

1: Accutane does tackle the cause of acne. It is a cure for acne, not a temporary prevention.

2: You can't prevent severe acne by anything other than accutane

3: That thing you said about cancer is the most ridiculous thing I've heard since Nicki left the Big Brother house. If there was a more effective treatment of cancer than chemotherapy IT WOULD BE USED. And bacteria does not cause cancer fool, it is the mutation of cell DNA!!

By the way monoclonal antibodies have been developed which bind specifically with cancerous cells. Drugs are bonded to the monoclonal antibodies so that these drugs specifically target cancer cells. This minimises side effects and helps prevent damage to healthy cells.

Dear dear, ignorance is bliss...next you will tell me diet has nothing to do with cancer? Keep ur head in the clouds.

1. U can still get spots after accutane? accutane does not work for everyone?

2. Enlighten me whats ur evidence? How did I mange to cure my acne then without accutane?

3. Research the effects of wheatgrass on cancer, DNA will mutate if the environment is not optimal. If DNA can be altered to damage it can also be healed by changing its environment. Id much rather help my bodies defence then kill of cells.

By the way look at which countries have the highest cancer rates...I can tell u now it will be the ones with the worse diets, who do lease excersie and suffer from being over weight. Perfect envoronment if u ask me.

Guest chipmunk_spunk

:lol: I love talking to people like you. Puts a smile on my face.

1- yes, accutane is not a guaranteed cure but its the best we've got so far

2- I can't speak for you of course, but I suspect your acne probably got better naturally.

3- Dude, you can't reverse the mutation of DNA in HUNDREDS of cells by eating wheatgrass for christs sakes. Get a grip.

And no, I am not going to tell you that diet doesn't influence suseptibility to cancer. Some foods may be carcinogenic (i.e. cause mutation). However, being overweight has nothing to do with it.

Anyway, I assume you are saying that western countries have the highest number of cases of cancer? If this is indeed the case, then the reasons would be threefold

1- smoking (more people have access to and smoke cigarrettes in western countries)

2- the cause of death not being recorded as cancer in less developed countries. They just don't know what the cause of death was.

3- LIVING LONGER: most people in western countries live to an age where cancer becomes very likely. In less developed countries many people may die of another cause before they get cancer.

Anway, you clearly understand very little about biology and cancer. Either that or you are wildly misinformed. In fairness to you most people are misinformed to some degree about this unless they have studied it (like me :) ) You however take the biscuit for most outlandish and non sensical ideas. Well done to you :clap:

I will not respond to any more of your posts in this thread because I am getting bored now.

:lol: I love talking to people like you. Puts a smile on my face.

1- yes, accutane is not a guaranteed cure but its the best we've got so far

2- I can't speak for you of course, but I suspect your acne probably got better naturally.

3- Dude, you can't reverse the mutation of DNA in HUNDREDS of cells by eating wheatgrass for christs sakes. Get a grip.

And no, I am not going to tell you that diet doesn't influence suseptibility to cancer. Some foods may be carcinogenic (i.e. cause mutation). However, being overweight has nothing to do with it.

Anyway, I assume you are saying that western countries have the highest number of cases of cancer? If this is indeed the case, then the reasons would be threefold

1- smoking (more people have access to and smoke cigarrettes in western countries)

2- the cause of death not being recorded as cancer in less developed countries. They just don't know what the cause of death was.

3- LIVING LONGER: most people in western countries live to an age where cancer becomes very likely. In less developed countries many people may die of another cause before they get cancer.

Anway, you clearly understand very little about biology and cancer. Either that or you are wildly misinformed. In fairness to you most people are misinformed to some degree about this unless they have studied it (like me :) ) You however take the biscuit for most outlandish and non sensical ideas. Well done to you :clap:

I will not respond to any more of your posts in this thread because I am getting bored now.

No the problem is you have your opinions and I have mine. Yours were given to you like the biology student sat next to you. This is another example of the narrow mindness of science. When you was wrong about the world being flat you kinda made people think for themselves. Like you say tho outlandish to you who probrly never tried anything other than what he was told.

Youve taken parts of what I were trying to say out of context and put words in my mouth.

Most people can read and make up their own minds anyway.

p.s. I cured my acne

If doctors were tought how the body worked and helped people work with it then people will cure themselves almost by miricale. But thats not good for business having people curethemselves...so doctors will instead use there only attack that is DRUGS!!! Drugs that attack the symptoms of acne and not the cause my friend. This in turn brings MILLIONS of revenue so there happy and aint 2 fusey if ur cure urself or not.

(take cancer for example...what KILLS cancer? ALKALINE blood full of OXYGEN...u ever seen what happens when cancer cells come into contact with oxygen? It kills it like a shotgun blast!!!!!!! But what do doctors do? blast ur body with a poisen and hope it kills the bacteria before killing the patient!!!!)

I agree completely

Guest chipmunk_spunk

You realise that health care is free in Britain don't you? It has absolutely nothing to do with making money.

I agree completely