Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

first of all, i have been applying lots of moisturizer like a good boy (twice a day and once at night) to keep my face from being dry.

i use cetaphil, and normally it works fine.

and i should mention, too, that i do use the right amount of bp- just enough to get the job done.

however......

anyone remember the post i made about a month or so ago? Damien?

i complained about my skin getting so dry that it was unbearable. i wasn't using moisturizer at night, and so i started using it and it was fine, i guess.

well, this shouldn't have anything to do with it, but i did go for 3 days straight (over a week ago) experimenting with just salt water on my face. didn't work well at all, so i went back to bp. for a week, no problems. tons of moisturizer. wouldn't think that within a short time span it would lead to my face getting used to not having it a....... week later? :eh:

(yeah, that doesn't make any sense)....

but yesterday it happened again. i mowed the grass early before i did the regimen in the morning. it wasn't too hot (in the afternoon it can get up to around 100 degrees), and the sun wasn't out. but i was sweating a bit. and i think my face started burning. that seems to be like some type of warning sign or something because my face started burning last time it got real dry.

after mowing the grass, i took a really short shower and then did the regimen. immediately after putting on the bp, my face starting getting very, very red and it's stayed this way. i did the regimen last night but i'm skipping this morning and tonight. it's red to where it looks like i have a bad sunburn. not only that, by my face feels like it's made of rubber and weighs 40 gazillion tons. the only thing to calm it down is putting water on my face, but that only helps for a few minutes. it is so dry, that it's driving me crazy. that happened last time, exactly, too!

the moisturizer does seem to be taking out more flakes than last time now that i'm using so much.

but the redness is crazy!

my theory is that...... well...... i dunno. can anyone concluded anything from this?

the only thing i can think of is that maybe i need to wait a few hours after i'm sweaty to do the regimen? i do lift weights shortly before taking a bath and doing the regimen at night, but probably i don't get sweaty enough for it to cause a problem.

should i get Eucerin moisturizer?

Greg,

I'm wondering if you got a bit of sunburn? Or whether the three days of using saltwater left your skin a bit irritated?

Try to hang in there and see if it doesn't get better in a week or so.

And experiment a bit with waiting after getting hot/sweaty before doing the CSR.

Greg,

I'm wondering if you got a bit of sunburn? Or whether the three days of using saltwater left your skin a bit irritated?

Try to hang in there and see if it doesn't get better in a week or so.

And experiment a bit with waiting after getting hot/sweaty before doing the CSR.

the sunburn.... no, don't think so. the sun wasn't out and i haven't been out of the house much anyways, so don't think that's it.

the saltwater....... hm, sounds possible. i do think that the saltwater experiment did leave my skin irritated (after all, i did break out for awhile, though, it's pretty much all gone and by tomorrow it should be back to normal w/o any acne that is active). except there is the fact that the dryness that happened just now and what happened a month or so ago is so similar (then i never used saltwater) that there has to be something in common with both of those instances.

at first i thought it was because i didn't take a shower right before(which was the first time). however, i took a shower the second time. :confused:

so yeah, definetely i should experiment with waiting a while to get hot/sweaty before using the regimen.

it's annoying how the regimen is working so beautifully and then something like this happens and you have to stop and you're scared that it'll cause a breakout. it was still too dry to use it this morning. so all i've been doing was washing my face (w/Purpose Bar).

last time i missed 3 or 4 applications because of the dryness but never broke out for missing them. and i'm the type of person who breaks out every single day normally. so i wonder if the fact that my face is so dry means that it is sorta helping anyways and i shouldn't be breaking out. hopefully

strange...... i wrote my last post just a couple days ago, right?

i decided to put on bp again that night even though it was still a bit too dry (though slightly improved) and for some reason, the dryness got better after i put on the bp.

yeah... i'm wondering wtf!? :confused:

but that's cool...... i've been doing it ever since and dryness/redness has returned to normal, it's all good.

i'll try and mow the grass in the morning again next time to see if that was the problem- if it doesn't get dry again, i have a theory.

maybe somehow some ingredient got mixed badly in my bottle of bp and whatever that causes dryness had a clump in what i applied. both times when the crazy dryness happened, it was from the same bottle (yeah, this bottle has lasted for awhile).

hopefully that is the real reason. :angel:

well.... it got more dry, i missed an application and it gotta a bit better overnight, but then i started again the next morning (which is yesterday i'm referring to) and continued till this morning and it's still very red. the itching and burning kinda comes and goes.

it seems the moisturizer really doesn't do much, even if i use a lot.

but it's ok- i'd rather have my face red than have acne on it- i mean, if you look at it now, the redness covers up a lot of the marks anyways, and at first glance you'd think my face is 100% clear.

it seems that my skin just can't handle so many applications in a row and it just needs a break every few days or so. not like i'll give it one. :evil::lol:

but i read on the AHA page that Dan wrote that some people still have really dry skin months into the regimen and he recommends AHA. does anyone think this would work? maybe this'll help. of course, i should get a job first before deciding to buy this stuff, but it'd be nice to have. especially to fade red marks, too.

yep, now i'm sure it's just that my skin is reacting to me being consistent on the regimen- because when i was sweating yesterday, it was the sweat that caused my skin to start burning, and that same burning feeling was what happened right before those 2 times that it got really red.

if the sweat is burning my face, that means my skin is really dry. and if i put more bp on my skin (which is already really dry), all i'm doing is increasing the dryness- bp works immediately, you can tell.

but it didn't really get this dry when i first started the regimen. so i was wondering why all of a sudden it gets so dry.

my mom theorized that since my face is so much clearer (at the moment, no active acne, yay) compared to when i first started (at that time it was really bad), my skin is much less oily, so it's like putting stuff that dries skin out on... dry skin! :razz:

seems like a valid theory, though someone else probably knows more about that than me.

but, i've been doing the regimen day and night even though my face is red, but it never really gets over-the-top red. just like a regular sunburn, that's it. so i think i should be fine. as long as i don't sweat (which causes burning), it'll be ok.

still, would anyone recommend something like Neutrogena Healthy Skin Moisturizer (which has AHA) for me? i think it costs a bit more than Cetaphil. not sure if it would matter how much/what type of moisturizer i use though (though i'm still using Cetaphil 2-3 times a day)

Many aha's are too irritating for people so I don't use them...

really....

maybe i should just by one bottle of moisturizer with AHA to just sorta test it out, still, but if it's too irritating i guess i shouldn't use it then

if your skin is already red, then AHA's may make that worse. At least in the beginning.

Greg, those times when you have sweat and it caused redness and stinging, was there old bp still on? I wonder if you did a quick rinse or quick cleanse before mowing the lawn, if your sweat would be less irritating to you?

also, I know when I mow the lawn I get tons of grass and dirt that blows and sticks to my face. I'm wondering if the grass,dirt, and sweat mixture might be very irritating to you?

yep, now i'm sure it's just that my skin is reacting to me being consistent on the regimen- because when i was sweating yesterday, it was the sweat that caused my skin to start burning, and that same burning feeling was what happened right before those 2 times that it got really red.

if the sweat is burning my face, that means my skin is really dry. and if i put more bp on my skin (which is already really dry), all i'm doing is increasing the dryness- bp works immediately, you can tell.

but it didn't really get this dry when i first started the regimen. so i was wondering why all of a sudden it gets so dry.

my mom theorized that since my face is so much clearer (at the moment, no active acne, yay) compared to when i first started (at that time it was really bad), my skin is much less oily, so it's like putting stuff that dries skin out on... dry skin! :razz:

seems like a valid theory, though someone else probably knows more about that than me.

but, i've been doing the regimen day and night even though my face is red, but it never really gets over-the-top red. just like a regular sunburn, that's it. so i think i should be fine. as long as i don't sweat (which causes burning), it'll be ok.

still, would anyone recommend something like Neutrogena Healthy Skin Moisturizer (which has AHA) for me? i think it costs a bit more than Cetaphil. not sure if it would matter how much/what type of moisturizer i use though (though i'm still using Cetaphil 2-3 times a day)

Hey, I highly recommend trying Curel Ultra Healing as a moisturizer. It's in a blue bottle and you can get a travel sized version of it for $2.50 or so at Walgreens or other drug stores.

Try just a little bit on especially dry patches and see how your skin reacts to it. It has shea butter it it (which doesn't seem to clog pores based on the research I've done thus far) so it will moisturize well and sooth the redness. A little goes a long way. It has really helped me and my dry skin problem.

if your skin is already red, then AHA's may make that worse. At least in the beginning.

Greg, those times when you have sweat and it caused redness and stinging, was there old bp still on? I wonder if you did a quick rinse or quick cleanse before mowing the lawn, if your sweat would be less irritating to you?

also, I know when I mow the lawn I get tons of grass and dirt that blows and sticks to my face. I'm wondering if the grass,dirt, and sweat mixture might be very irritating to you?

yeah, mowing the lawn can be a pain :D

but ok, you said that maybe i should do a quick rinse before mowing, and then as you said, grass and dirt gets stuck to your face (that happens with me, too). seems i should wash my face afterwards to get it off.

but that would be like washing my face one extra time. that itself seems like it'd be irritating, but would you still advise it?

Hey, I highly recommend trying Curel Ultra Healing as a moisturizer. It's in a blue bottle and you can get a travel sized version of it for $2.50 or so at Walgreens or other drug stores.

Try just a little bit on especially dry patches and see how your skin reacts to it. It has shea butter it it (which doesn't seem to clog pores based on the research I've done thus far) so it will moisturize well and sooth the redness. A little goes a long way. It has really helped me and my dry skin problem.

thanks! i'll write that down and definetely check that out. if it's at Walgreens or CVS or something, that would be excellent! it'd be easier to pick up, then. :)

Well, what I meant was do a quick rinse to get any residual bp off (if you think the sweat mixing with old bp is the problem) and then after you are done mowing maybe work in your next CSR application.

For instance, on days when I need to mow, I do it first thing in the morning (before I do my CSR). So, I'm done mowing by 10 or 11am, THEN I do my morning CSR. And of course I do my evening CSR at bedtime.

Normally, I do the CSR anywhere between 7am and 9am, but on the days I mow I just postpone it until after mowing. And I do apply sunscreen before mowing too.

Can you do something like that schedule?

Yes, sweating the BP off immediately after applying it can be irritating to the skin. Try Brandy's idea. Have you considered the possibility that you may have a skin allergy as a result of the grass? It's not uncommon!

Well, what I meant was do a quick rinse to get any residual bp off (if you think the sweat mixing with old bp is the problem) and then after you are done mowing maybe work in your next CSR application.

For instance, on days when I need to mow, I do it first thing in the morning (before I do my CSR). So, I'm done mowing by 10 or 11am, THEN I do my morning CSR. And of course I do my evening CSR at bedtime.

Normally, I do the CSR anywhere between 7am and 9am, but on the days I mow I just postpone it until after mowing. And I do apply sunscreen before mowing too.

Can you do something like that schedule?

yeah, i can do that. that's what i'm starting to do (just that last time). in fact, i might have to mow the yard sometime next week, maybe even Monday or Tuesday.

ok, i'll do a quick rinse w/out cleanser before mowing, then do the CSR afterwards, but wait until i've stopped sweating.

i'll update next time i mow

RBCaiaphas,

i don't know if a skin allergy to the grass would be the problem.... well, i could list plenty of reasons why, but

well......... nah, don't feel like it :D

Just something to consider. I found out I was allergic to crab when I worked at a crab feed in high school. The steam from the crab made my face feel really red, dry, and itchy.